Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 AM

109 posts, read 122,471 times

Advertisements

I work in Summit which I adore but cannot afford. I live in Cranford which is also very quaint and safe but more affordable and more REAL. I grew up in Westfield which is ideal for family and schools. Commute is slightly more cumbersome due to switching trains but you will meet so many young families and have so much access to stores and activities downtown that you wouldnt get too bothered.However I must admit that people in Westfield are a little different than when I grew up there, I guess its the new rich that have come from NYC and have a little less tact shall we say. They let their kids get away with anything and quite honestly I wouldnt want my chldren hanging around these kids.
I work in Summit and honestly can say that the people there have money but are also very down to earth and respectful. THey teach their kids manners and values. There many new parents in SUmmit who also want to stll have an active social life and there are a number of restaurants and new social churches that cater to them. Summit also has a very fit and active populaton and the YMCA is great.
Cranford has more real appeal, and even a tad more artsty folks. Yes indeed you get a whole lot more for your money and the kids wont get terribly spoiled. I think people are more neigbhorly here. Downtown has good food, churches, antique shops, cute cafes and great for running. Not as much shopping as westfield which is really like an outdoor Simon Mall.
I hope that helps but I like Summit myself for the people and the proximity to NYC plus a really cool new urbanite young family popluation. Its most expensive however but Westfield and Cranford do not disappoint. All three would be fine, migh depend on how lucky you can get with the house cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM

396 posts, read 708,262 times
I just wanted to give a shout out to a couple other choices: Millburn, Short Hills, Madison, Chatham

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 AM

173 posts, read 657,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
Cranford has more real appeal, and even a tad more artsty folks. Yes indeed you get a whole lot more for your money and the kids wont get terribly spoiled. I think people are more neigbhorly here. Downtown has good food, churches, antique shops, cute cafes and great for running. Not as much shopping as westfield which is really like an outdoor Simon Mall.
Love Cranford. The town has the best PD/FD, kept us so well informed via facebook during the Sandy hurricaine! The non-chain businessess in town are more interesting for me and my kids than say what I find in Westfield. Cranford is an amazing town to live in. Tell me in which towns can you still find mom and pop stores where people remember your name? The coffee place rocks, the bread bakery and the cheese shop are for the senses, the river and the horse chestnut trees are so beautiful. Too many fantastic things about Cranford to list. Don't get stressed out by looking for the perfect town, this is it! Oh, and the schools are great. And as my first grader proudly stated: there are no bullies!!! Just nice people.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM

54 posts, read 248,498 times
any of these 3 areas (Summit, Cranford & Westfield) in a flood zone?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,192 times
some people in westfield had 2-3 feet of water in their basements with Irene though I don't think there is an official "flood zone". Cranford has an official flood zone by the river, and some of their streets became rivers during irene (check out youtube) not sure about summit.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

28 posts, read 66,070 times
For Cranford's Flood area, there should be a flood map on the town website. In Hurricane Irene the water here was horrible, but not in Hurricane Sandy. I live in Cranford right now and grew up in Westfield. Westfield is VERY nice and downtown is gorgeous. Homes on the north side of the train station are more expensive. The south side homes are more affordable, but not as close to the downtown. Cranford's downtown is very nice also. I agree with what someone else said about Cranford being a "step down" from Summit and Westfield. From what I've heard Summit is supposed to be the best of the 3. So if you can afford Summit and it's the easier train- that would be great. The only thing is Summit is very hilly- no big deal. All 3 school systems are wonderful. The superintendent of Cranford was a professor of mine and she is wonderful. Westfield schools are top notch- I believe Summit as well, but I have more knowledge of Catholic schools in Summit than public. Look at the school report cards online and see what you think. We're in cranford on the border of garwood. If you're looking in Cranford, Westfield, and Summit- then check out the north side of Cranford (north of train station) I think you'll like it better. Houses are a little smaller than Westfield, but more affordable and very, very pretty. Look near Nomahegan Park. There's a house for sale right now that Nomahegan Park is right next to. It's 4 bedrooms and pretty nice. Saw it on a walk with my dog this morning!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 14,301 times
I agree with you SG - I've noticed that quite a number of kids from Westfield are unpleasant and their parents don't teach them anything - they run amok saying and doing such rude things and it's appalling how much their parents let them get away with. I would try to live somewhere a little more down to earth and real as another poster mentioned.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM

42 posts, read 81,353 times
@crystalcay9 - I first heard of the "westfield being stuck up" when we were looking at homes. although it is something that may or may not be true. I would have to believe that most of the people in westfield myself included are not like that. There will be people who will snub you in any town as well as be down right rude to you. I dont think that the handful of people who are like that are a true representation of any town.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
I moved to WF in August, my neighbor's kid is very well behaved and she got along fine with my daughter. My neighbors are awesome, one is 75 year old retired couples who helped me fix my roof after Sandy. The other helped me jump start my car and gave us his daughter's old kid toys. Everyone is super nice and welcoming, we felt we made a great choice moving there.

But, I am sure you will find plenty of nice (and snobby) people in other towns as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM

42 posts, read 81,353 times
Praxis welcome to WF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey