U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,151 times

Advertisements

I am renting a townhouse and there is a mini backyard in the back. I have 2 little dogs and I was wondering if I would be able to put up a 3 foot tall fence perhaps 6 by 10. Something to put up so they could run around for a few minutes without a leash, of course I would be supervising. Do I need a permit to do this if the owner of the townhouse agrees to the fence?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

81 posts, read 171,620 times
Look for a metal dog run. Something you can assemble/disassemble. No permit would be needed as it's temporary.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,650,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpike182 View Post
I am renting a townhouse and there is a mini backyard in the back. I have 2 little dogs and I was wondering if I would be able to put up a 3 foot tall fence perhaps 6 by 10. Something to put up so they could run around for a few minutes without a leash, of course I would be supervising. Do I need a permit to do this if the owner of the townhouse agrees to the fence?

Thanks
A fence will most definitely require a permit.

It has nothing to do with whether the owner agrees or not.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM

6,165 posts, read 12,332,428 times
Quote:

Thanks
In many (maybe even most) townhouse communities, you cannot put up any sort of fence, even if you are the owner. You have to see what the association rules/bylaws say about fences.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:17 PM

76 posts, read 234,590 times
Quote:
I am renting a townhouse and there is a mini backyard in the back. I have 2 little dogs and I was wondering if I would be able to put up a 3 foot tall fence perhaps 6 by 10. Something to put up so they could run around for a few minutes without a leash, of course I would be supervising. Do I need a permit to do this if the owner of the townhouse agrees to the fence?s
You need a permit to put up a fence. You need a permit for just about every damn thing you do in New Jersey. Some towns require permits for installing dishwashers and hot water heaters. I generally ignore them unless it's visible, but a fence definitely is.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM

17,871 posts, read 22,295,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In many (maybe even most) townhouse communities, you cannot put up any sort of fence, even if you are the owner. You have to see what the association rules/bylaws say about fences.

Bill Keegan has provided the only truly relevant answer.

If anyone is confused about why a townhouse/condo community does not allow fences, ask yourself this question:
How will the landscapers mow the lawns, which are a common area, if those little backyard areas have fences enclosing them?

The OP needs to familiarize himself/herself with the concept of "common areas", and why one resident cannot take it upon himself/herself to erect a fence or do other types of construction in an area that belongs to everyone in the community, and not just to one person.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM

9,728 posts, read 19,881,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... The OP needs to familiarize himself/herself with the concept of "common areas", and why one resident cannot take it upon himself/herself to erect a fence or do other types of construction in an area that belongs to everyone in the community, and not just to one person.
Quote:
I am renting a townhouse and there is a mini backyard in the back....
Not all townhouse developments have common lawns. Some belong to the individual home owner from street to alley. OP says there's a "mini backyard", so maybe it's private. I own a rental townhouse that's like that -- front is common area, back is private and fenced.

That said, hopefully there's some kind of homeowners' bylaws that spells out what you can and can't do outside your home. Of course you'd also fall under the terms of your lease.

Even though the back yard has private fence at my rental unit, my previous renters had a small run made from chain link fencing... which reminds me, I've got to go get some new sod from Home Depot.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 PM

2,659 posts, read 5,726,963 times
I don't know about the rules of your townhome community. You should start with them, and the then check with your town. In my town and several others I know of you do not need a permit for a fence that's less than 4 feet tall.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 PM

20,712 posts, read 14,787,606 times
Differs from town to town

Woodbridge for instance requires a permit to replace a fence with the exact same style fence..

Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM

10,082 posts, read 17,759,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Differs from town to town

Woodbridge for instance requires a permit to replace a fence with the exact same style fence..
Do they require a permit to repair a fence, e.g. by replacing all but one fencepost, then replacing that fencepost? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey