Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 38,704 times

Advertisements

Job relocated me to central NJ last year. Now that my lease is almost up I'm looking to get into more of a younger, and populated area. I'm 31, no kids or roommates. Have researched both Hoboken and Bay Ridge but really am not sure which would be the better fit for me. I love the fact that both have people walking around (there is no sign of life in central jersey) and variety of restaurants/ bars. I'm not one who will normally go out on a weekday night to party but it is nice to have the option to go for a drink after a rough day at work. I have cousins in both areas as well (thus the choice btwn the two). Willing to do the commute to NJ from either area so that is not a factor (hoping to snag a job in NYC in a few months anyway).

Would love some insight from anyone out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNM2 View Post
Job relocated me to central NJ last year. Now that my lease is almost up I'm looking to get into more of a younger, and populated area. I'm 31, no kids or roommates. Have researched both Hoboken and Bay Ridge but really am not sure which would be the better fit for me. I love the fact that both have people walking around (there is no sign of life in central jersey) and variety of restaurants/ bars. I'm not one who will normally go out on a weekday night to party but it is nice to have the option to go for a drink after a rough day at work. I have cousins in both areas as well (thus the choice btwn the two). Willing to do the commute to NJ from either area so that is not a factor (hoping to snag a job in NYC in a few months anyway).

Would love some insight from anyone out there.
31? I would look at Montclair. I am almost 30 and looking to move out of Hoboken very soon and go to Weehawken. Hoboken is a fun town, but the recent college grads and reject ex-frat boy crowds rule the scene here.

Bay Ridge is also nice (my ex lives on 98th & 4th). The only problem is that parking is a huge pain and the neighborhood is changing. I heard a few people call it not Bay Ridge, but rather Bay Ruit. My only gripe about BR is that it's fairly dirty.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
my advice is strictly from a monetary standpoint. paying $8 or whatever the Verrazano is right now (AND the Outerbridge) every day would rule BR out for me, even though I personally like it (plus, the traffic seriously SUCKS). I do know you want to get a job in NYC, but man, $14/day is some serious coin.

Montclair's a good choice, maybe Newport in JC? (don't know what your budget is)

Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 38,704 times
Thanks for the insight. I should have mentioned that I do have a discount for the bridges on ezpass (thanks to family) and will only cost $5/day... which is about what the Turnpike will run me to/from Hudson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey