Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM

257 posts, read 684,919 times

Advertisements

Be careful with the translation - it has to be translated by the one approved translator in NJ for the language that your license's in. Just any good old notarized translation won't do, unless whoever's processing your documents is in a very good mood. Reference

I took a knowledge test(you have to be a complete moron, or a teenager to fail it), and I was willing to take the road test, but waiting for it would've taken much longer than waiting for the translation. I think(or rather hope) the knowledge exam is mandatory, whether you have a foreign license or not, but it takes 5-8 minutes, so not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM

82 posts, read 360,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Be careful with the translation - it has to be translated by the one approved translator in NJ for the language that your license's in. Just any good old notarized translation won't do, unless whoever's processing your documents is in a very good mood. Reference

I took a knowledge test(you have to be a complete moron, or a teenager to fail it), and I was willing to take the road test, but waiting for it would've taken much longer than waiting for the translation. I think(or rather hope) the knowledge exam is mandatory, whether you have a foreign license or not, but it takes 5-8 minutes, so not a big deal.
Mine's in English so that isn't a problem . Is the knowledge test just about rules of the road etc?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 73,335 times
Thanks all for the replies.

I also called the DMV and all they told me is that they had to look at the documents and the translation to confirm they could "convert" the license and waive the road test, so this looks promising.

One last question, for those who have gone through the process:
When you went to the DMV with your documents, were you able to take the knowledge and vision test on the spot (if needed), and then walk away with the NJ driver license?

I'm asking because my goal is to go to the DMV early august, and then get a car and insurance in the following days.

Thanks again

Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunisher View Post
One last question, for those who have gone through the process:
When you went to the DMV with your documents, were you able to take the knowledge and vision test on the spot (if needed), and then walk away with the NJ driver license?
Yes. Everybody has to give the written test, there's no way around it. I don't remember having to give vision test. I got my license the same day.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
There is a website online where you can practice the knowledge test over and over on your pc until you get it right. The test is done on a computer at the DMV.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 10,062 times
Can someone please tell how much time does it take to get the license for non U.S. citizens holding foreign license. I need to move to another city and would need a car to drive and am thinking of getting the license from NJ. Time is of essence. Would appreciate your response.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
In the wake of 9.11, Nj made it more difficult to get license renewals and new licenses using a points system of documentation. So any hurdles you may encounter are for that reason.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,637 times
Default driving without supervison

Hi I do have Indian license but the officer have not waived off the road test and gave me immediate available date for road test (end of december 2014).Now I have NJ learners permit and Indian license.
Can I drive alone without supervised by licensed driver with learners permit and Indian license?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajib4rajib View Post
Hi I do have Indian license but the officer have not waived off the road test and gave me immediate available date for road test (end of december 2014).Now I have NJ learners permit and Indian license.
Can I drive alone without supervised by licensed driver with learners permit and Indian license?
I doubt anyone here has the knowledge to answer your question legally. I would ask at the NJMVC licensing office and also they may have other locations that could process your driving test quicker.

You could also call the NJMVC number in Trenton just be advised that may take some waiting on the telephone but may be quicker for you.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Did you obtain an International Drivers Permit before coming to the states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey