Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 PM

208 posts, read 544,972 times

Advertisements

Like others have said, you have a lot of options with out budget. I would not rule out the CT suburbs of NYC either. As far as NJ goes, and in addition to the excellent towns mentioned by others, I would take a look at the Red Bank-Fair Haven/Middletown-Atlantic Highlands area. Good schools, one of the best downtowns in NJ (Red Bank), direct train to the city, plus you can also take the ferry to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM

63 posts, read 182,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheneum View Post
Your assumption about where I'm from is incorrect (South Africa actually!) but the rest you have right. In Boston we've been thinking of Brookline and Newton and yes, I think these would suit us better than a pure "suburb". However, as I mentioned jobs will primarily determine where we end up so it's good to have all the options in advance!

One more question, I've seen some threads refer to Summit as " uppity". Although I'd probably be working on Wall St if I end up in NY I am not very keen on the competitive hype ( schools, cars etc) that is associated with this mileu - would this be what we would find there?
Ah, well, at least I was half right. I saw cold beaches and immediately thought of Ireland. But just to put in an additional plug for South Orange and Maplewood, the commute from those towns to NYC is one of the best you can get in the area, so that would be good for jobs. They're more like Newton an Brookline than most other NJ towns. Montclair is worth a look too--the commute to NYC is slightly longer, but there's almost a city feel there.

I don't know a whole lot about Summit, other than having a family member who raised his family there, but I don't think the perception that it's snobby and competitive is inaccurate. Having the biggest house, car, etc., is highly valued there. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it's not the type of environment I'd seek out.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Your assumption about where I'm from is incorrect (South Africa actually!) but the rest you have right. In Boston we've been thinking of Brookline and Newton and yes, I think these would suit us better than a pure "suburb". However, as I mentioned jobs will primarily determine where we end up so it's good to have all the options in advance!

One more question, I've seen some threads refer to Summit as " uppity". Although I'd probably be working on Wall St if I end up in NY I am not very keen on the competitive hype ( schools, cars etc) that is associated with this mileu - would this be what we would find there?
You just used "milieu" in a sentence, so you should be fine in Summit (even if you left out an 'i').

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Oh, then you definitely want to live in northern New Jersey and work in Manhattan, since, like South Africa, those place have the Dutch history!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM

82 posts, read 360,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You just used "milieu" in a sentence, so you should be fine in Summit (even if you left out an 'i').
Lol! Bottom line, we've done well for ourselves but my husband and I both come from humble backgrounds and know the values we want our kids to grow up with. They're in a private school here and let's say a lot of what I read about Summit sounds similar...I realise (oops, gonna need to learn how to spell in American) that we won't get away from it entirely but I don't want to knowingly immerse my kids in that kind of culture again.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM

82 posts, read 360,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, then you definitely want to live in northern New Jersey and work in Manhattan, since, like South Africa, those place have the Dutch history!
Yes but everything is pronounced wrong there

Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yes but everything is pronounced wrong there
Hahaha, here, too. There actually was once a dialect spoken in northern NJ, known as Jersey Dutch, that died out about 150 years ago. It came from the earliest Dutch settlers with influences from the American Indians, African slaves, and the British and other European immigrants in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey