Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM

173 posts, read 657,390 times

Advertisements

We have had the unfortunate experience of wanting to rent for a few years, and having to move due to the owner deciding to sell. There was a verbal agreement that the lease could be renewed from year to year for years to come, but it didn't turn out so, perhaps due to the market conditions. What are the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again should we choose to rent instead of buying?

We would love to rent a single house for 4 years, buying seems like not a very good investement. Is there a way to guarantee that the house won't be put up for sale? We can also consider lease-to-own, but it is harder to find those listed online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
There is nothing preventing the owner from deciding to sell the house. However, anyone who purchases the property would be required to honor your existing lease as written. Basically, you want to ask the owner if they are willing to sign an extended lease. Periods of up to 36 months aren't unheard of, but are rather rare. So, the best thing for you to do is ask the owner if they would be willing to sign a long term lease and then work out the details on that. Just don't be surprised if most owners don't want to do that.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,847 times
I know a lot of landlords would love to rent for long term. A lot of times, it's not feasible for either party. No one really knows what can happen in two or three years, and most people will only lease for 2 years at the most.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM

173 posts, read 657,390 times
So herein lies the problem! We are not advised to buy if only for 5 years, but we can't stick with renting because the sellers always want to sell. Moving is expensive, and not good for the kids.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM

225 posts, read 721,101 times
That's part of the downside of renting a house--the uncertainty. I know from personal experience.
Anyway, what area are you looking in to rent? I know someone who is renting out his house in the Piscataway area and would more than likely be open to a 2 year lease.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
It isn't going to happen. Personally I would think there is more downside than upside to trying to get a long term lease like that. What happens after six months if you end up hating the place?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM

291 posts, read 977,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
That's part of the downside of renting a house--the uncertainty. I know from personal experience.
Yep. People are just so much less likely to own SFH as a true investment property. And at this point, so many, many people are just renting out their homes, waiting for prices to rise, the vast majority of SFH rentals are bound to be shorter term.

Are you completely opposed to, say, a 2-family where your unit has use of the yard, or something like that? Those are generally much safer bets in terms of percentage of owners who are "real" landlords. I get that it's not the same as a SFH, but when weighed against potentially having to move several times, the cost and upheaval associated with that--might be worth considering if you only want to rent for a few years.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It isn't going to happen. Personally I would think there is more downside than upside to trying to get a long term lease like that. What happens after six months if you end up hating the place?
While I posted about the possibility, as a landlord, I would never agree to a long term lease like that. Even with the properties held solely as rentals/investments, there is a lot of uncertainty on the landlords end with long term leases. Basically, I want the ability to limit my exposure to a bad tenant to no more then a year and be able to price the place well in the market.

However, I have seen several properties offering lease terms up to 3 years. Generally the rent is laddered so there are built in increases and other then that, the leases are pretty much the same as a regular one. In most cases though, I don't see actual investment properties being run that way, they are usually people who are trying to sell a house and have decided that renting is a quick fix to their problem.

In the OP's case, if they want that level of stability the best thing is to look into a rental complex as was suggested by a PP. There are plenty of them out there that offer larger units and even full on townhomes and in the OP's price range, these are all going to be higher end places. You get the stability of being able to stay as long as you want and the security of an actual management company and maintenance staff.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,093 times
Well, one very simple way would be buying the house and renting it to yourself!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
You could stipulate in the rental contract (or ask if they would agree to) that if the house is sold, the rental contract is honored. You might have to commit to a multiple year contract for the landlord to agree. Sounds like a good situation for renter and landlord. turning over tenants is time consuming and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey