Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
If you are going up to Cape Cod you might as well take a plane as opposed to getting caught in traffic. United has fares r/t from Newark to Boston that are $125 off peak on some days. That's cheaper than amtrak.
You can get an Amtrak train for as low as 50$ from Newark to Boston....as long as you book in advance , at least 2 weeks for any Northeastern train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
staycation = you can't afford the time/money to go elsewhere. $800ish for a 7 day stay with gas costs, tolls, food is just not worth the stress. Spend one day in Manhattan, book a (cheap) hotel, go get some good grub, walk the city, experience the life and then just call it a day and heck, you may just have a couple more bucks to spend next year

Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can get an Amtrak train for as low as 50$ from Newark to Boston....as long as you book in advance , at least 2 weeks for any Northeastern train.
Pick you're poison. You can ride the metroliner or take a 757. If it were me, I'd take a 757.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Pick you're poison. You can ride the metroliner or take a 757. If it were me, I'd take a 757.
The Metroliner hasn't run since the 90s....its called Northeast Regional which i find to be very good , an hr less then driving , with more freedom meaning you can get up and walk around , theres free wifi , cafe car and a quiet car...can't do that on a 757...theres also no TSA and it drops you off in the Heart of each city instead of the outskirts...

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
the drive to boston is pretty long. last trip i found that if i ignore the gps that sends me to the gwb, im better off going up to the tappan zee bridge. cuts out some of that dirty nyc traffic.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
If you are going up to Cape Cod you might as well take a plane as opposed to getting caught in traffic.
That's why I like Sandwich. It's at the beginning, so much less traffic. But you're still there so it's a short drive if you want to go to other towns. Quick access to ferries too. If you have the whole week off you can travel on off days.

There are nicer hotels, but there are great motels for $100 a night or less. I've stayed at The Shady Nook Inn, but The Earl of Sandwich looks great too. The name made me want to stay so I looked it up lol. If you like outdoors stuff Cape Cod is great.

The Earl of Sandwich Motel - Cape Cod Lodging and accomodations on Historic Route 6A

Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
The Metroliner hasn't run since the 90s....its called Northeast Regional which i find to be very good , an hr less then driving , with more freedom meaning you can get up and walk around , theres free wifi , cafe car and a quiet car...can't do that on a 757...theres also no TSA and it drops you off in the Heart of each city instead of the outskirts...
I'm sorry you can't get up and walk around on a 757? I just did this just this past week, twice.

Well on a 757 I can get an amazing take off performance and be at Logan Airport in under 45 minutes of flying time. Then if I were to go to Cape Cod just rent a car for a few days on the cheap. Of course there are some very nice beach resorts near Logan -- 20 miles out in some cases.

Let's face it, the train plain sucks. Everyone says it's efficient and cheap but every time I go below my building into Penn Station the trains are always delayed and walk up fares are always more expensive than they should.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
Quote:
Quote:
I've taken the train from NY to Boston at least 4 times and it was a relaxing trip. They have decent snacks and beverages and you can stretch your legs by walking to the snack car or around the train. The best thing about taking the train is you don't have the hassle of drivng (no gas or tolls) and traffic.
Plus the traffic in Boston is horrendous on top of which you'll have to pay per day to park your car and you don't need a car in Boston. I've walked all over that city and taken the T.

OP: Have you considered staying in Hostels? Here is a link for places to stay and some even throw in a free breakfast.

Hostels in Boston - Book Online at Hostelworld.com

Four or five days in Boston for $800 is definity doable you just have to be creative! You can go to a deli for lunch and there are affordable restaurants for dinner too.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you can't get up and walk around on a 757? I just did this just this past week, twice.

Well on a 757 I can get an amazing take off performance and be at Logan Airport in under 45 minutes of flying time. Then if I were to go to Cape Cod just rent a car for a few days on the cheap. Of course there are some very nice beach resorts near Logan -- 20 miles out in some cases.

Let's face it, the train plain sucks. Everyone says it's efficient and cheap but every time I go below my building into Penn Station the trains are always delayed and walk up fares are always more expensive than they should.
Its rare that you can just get up and walk down the Aisle of a 757...., and yes the fares are expensive that's due to Capacity...and congress is slow at giving Amtrak funding compared to the Airlines... As for Delays the Boston - NYC part of the NEC is very reliable compared to the southern NEC. Theres usually only 3-5 delays a year and thats due to weather mainly trees falling over. Train travel has been increasing over the past 10 years it can't all be that bad....lets face it you have an Anti-Train agenda...

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
OP: Have you considered staying in Hostels? Here is a link for places to stay and some even throw in a free breakfast.

Hostels in Boston - Book Online at Hostelworld.com

Four or five days in Boston for $800 is definity doable you just have to be creative! You can go to a deli for lunch and there are affordable restaurants for dinner too.
whats the difference between a hostel and a regular hotel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey