Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,408 times

Advertisements

I am the granddaughter of John McGinnis of Allendale NJ. He had three children, my father Joseph Myles (Nick) McGinnis, another son John, and a daughter Helen. Everyone of them is deceased. My father was born sometime in the late 1930s.

I am looking for anyone who may have remembered this family and can offer any assistance. I was born in 1969 and lost both parents and was adopted. I am trying to reconstruct my family tree. I have found cousins (Helen married John Kennelly) who told me my grandfather worked for AT&T.

Any other information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Hi, I would suggest also posting this on citydata's genealogy forum. There's lots of people there that will help.

You can try tracing your family through old census and city directories.

There's an Allendale Historical Society. I don't know what resources they have, but you can try writing and asking.
Allendale Historical Society
PO Box 294
Allendale, NJ 07401
201-327-0605

Try contacting the Allendale Public Library Welcome to the Allendale Township Library — Allendale Township Library
and ask if they have old city directories. They may be in book form or on microfilm. Also ask what Allendale newspapers may have carried birth notices and obits.

The 1940 census was recently released, but NJ isn't indexed yet. Since your gf was born in the 1930's than you should find him on the 1940 census. Ancestry.com which is a subscriber site has been offering free access to the 1940 census.

A good site to look for records is www.familysearch.org This is a free site.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 985 times
Our last name is Hamilton and most of our relatives hails from the Philadelphia area. We have McGinnis is our family tree on my father's side. My brother, who lives in NC, sent me a photo today of a hanger with "John E. McGinnis, 589 [illegible] Tpke, Allendale, NJ" stamped on it.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieishere View Post
Our last name is Hamilton and most of our relatives hails from the Philadelphia area. We have McGinnis is our family tree on my father's side. My brother, who lives in NC, sent me a photo today of a hanger with "John E. McGinnis, 589 [illegible] Tpke, Allendale, NJ" stamped on it.
Could it be Franklin Turnpike? That is a major road in Allendale and there is a house with that address there. Jay

Old 08-09-2018, 03:38 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieishere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Could it be Franklin Turnpike? That is a major road in Allendale and there is a house with that address there. Jay
I am from that area, and agree that it would likely be Franklin Turnpike, which is an old road that runs through Allendale.

Interesting.

The OP last posted in January of 2016, but if you send a DM, she might still get a notification via her email.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
.. talk about small world.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Allendale used to be such a pretty town. My sister kept her horses at a stables there in the 70s and 80s. It had a nice semi-rural vibe and was more of a working-class place. AB&G was a comfortable old pub with good food.

It is still a nice town, but in a different way. Overbuilt and money-oriented now. The little downtown has been dressed up to look precious, and AB&G is a yuppie hangout. Like most of the NW Bergen County towns, the whole flavor changed when people from closer to the city drove up in their BMWs waving their checkbooks and looking for McMansions.

My daughter's classmate's parents moved to Midland Park in the 90s from Allendale when their kids started hearing "Your father is a nobody--he cuts our lawn" in school. (They had a landscaping business.) It's a shame. Obviously not everyone is that way, but when money moves in, it often brings a lot of ugliness.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:10 PM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Some towns have newspaper archives with items from all over the state and peppered with out of state articles. Not just their specific town.

Hunterdon co archives, accessed thru the Sutton family history link, has many news items from the early 1800s and up.

Woodbridge library archives as well. Old newspapers long gone are archived and sometimes you can find info on family members no one in the family ever knew or talked about. Most of those search engines are poorly developed but useful

Lot of weird stuff, they celebrated guys going off to war , who vacationed where and so forth, as well as obits.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Some towns have newspaper archives with items from all over the state and peppered with out of state articles. Not just their specific town.

Hunterdon co archives, accessed thru the Sutton family history link, has many news items from the early 1800s and up.

Woodbridge library archives as well. Old newspapers long gone are archived and sometimes you can find info on family members no one in the family ever knew or talked about. Most of those search engines are poorly developed but useful

Lot of weird stuff, they celebrated guys going off to war , who vacationed where and so forth, as well as obits.
Haha, my sister has done our genealogy and accessed some old newspaper articles. A couple of years ago, she found an article in a Paterson newspaper from the 1880s about our family.

The city planned to widen an alleyway into a street to provide access for a neighborhood to the main road, but because the neighborhood that needed the access was mostly black, our ancestors didn't want the project to happen because then they would have black people walking past the building where they lived and had a business. When the surveyors came to start the work, our family interfered by taking their equipment and getting in their way so that they couldn't get the work done. They finally just went home.

We don't know what happened subsequently, but we laughed about this not-so-proud-moment in family history.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:20 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Allendale used to be such a pretty town. My sister kept her horses at a stables there in the 70s and 80s. It had a nice semi-rural vibe and was more of a working-class place. AB&G was a comfortable old pub with good food.

It is still a nice town, but in a different way. Overbuilt and money-oriented now. The little downtown has been dressed up to look precious, and AB&G is a yuppie hangout. Like most of the NW Bergen County towns, the whole flavor changed when people from closer to the city drove up in their BMWs waving their checkbooks and looking for McMansions.

My daughter's classmate's parents moved to Midland Park in the 90s from Allendale when their kids started hearing "Your father is a nobody--he cuts our lawn" in school. (They had a landscaping business.) It's a shame. Obviously not everyone is that way, but when money moves in, it often brings a lot of ugliness.
I loved the AB&G. I hung out there a LOT back in the early 80’s (1979 to 1985) and more occasionally until about 1993. I hate to tell you this but it was full of yuppies back then. The only difference is that they weren’t called that yet. I had a coworker that lived there. From what I remember back then Allendale was middle and upper middle class, not what I would call rural or working class. Anyway it definitely was a nice town. Would have loved to live there but it was out of my class back then. Maybe still is. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey