Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
whites are the dominating race

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
hoboken
I think "the white people in Hudson County" (i.e., those who were here a few decades ago and aren't here any longer) moved either to the suburbs or out of state. I think many of the ones pouring into Hoboken are coming in from college towns all over the country or from mommy and daddy's house in Bergen Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
actually, the percentage of whites in Hudson Cnty increased between 1990-2005

1990 - 68.8%
2005 - 71.1%

courtesy census.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
[LEFT]Races in Hudson County, New Jersey:

• Hispanic (39.8%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (35.3%)
  • Other race (15.5%)
  • Black (13.5%)
  • Two or more races (5.6%)
  • Asian Indian (3.4%)
  • Filipino (3.1%)
  • Chinese (1.2%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)
  • Other Asian (0.7%)
  • Korean (0.5%)
[/LEFT]
There was a post a couple of years ago saying that there where 71% whites in hudson county, that hasn't been the case in many years. As you can see the number is 35%.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/county/Huds...#ixzz16XWxHfti
Hispanics can be of any race. On the census, it shows the races as White, Black, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, Some other race, or Two or More Races.

Hispanics are an ethnicity. So somebody can be a White Hispanic, Black Hispanic, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Spanish speaking is most common in Hudson country. So yes, I agree with the stats provided below as Hispanics make up the majority. I want to raise kids speaking English, not Spanish, which is one of many reasons why I moved out of Hudson county.
Hispanics are a plurality, not a majority. Majority implies that Hudson County is over 50% Hispanic. Plurality just means they are the largest group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That doesn't include the NJ Gold Coast , whites are the dominating race , followed by a tie of Asians and Latinos....and blacks and other races......the NJ Gold Coast has always been the most diverse area of NJ and i don't see that changing. I also have been seeing more integrating lately , hopefully more of that will happen.
It includes all of Hudson County. Areas like Downtown JC are balanced out by areas like West NY and Union City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The waterfront.
Bayonne, Kearny and Secaucus managed to stay predominately white- though, the stats seem to be misleading- We'll have to wait for the 2010 Census in March/April (whenever).
I speak from the future.

The demographics of Hudson County as of 2010 are:
31% White
11% Black
42% Hispanic
14% Asian
1% Multiracial

And yes, Kearny, Bayonne, and Secaucus are still predominantly White, though Kearny might have dipped below 50%. There's a source, but I'm too lazy to look it up now.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 PM

49 posts, read 42,286 times
White also includes people of middle eastern descent, just fyi

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbro2914 View Post
White also includes people of middle eastern descent, just fyi
I wonder what the Non-Hispanic white population is for the U.S. when excluding the Middle Eastern population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey