Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,994 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We live in the Paris suburb area and we plan to move to NJ early next year. I am mixed-race (afro/white) and my husband is white. We have 4 children (1 , 3 , 6 and 7 years old). As many parents, we are looking for a great place to live for family and a good school district as we won't be able to afford private schools.
Where will it be possible to find a 4 or 5 Bedrooms single house for 3300$ or less?
Oups I forgot to mention that we would prefer center jersey.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Leila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,316,520 times
There is no house in the USA that is $3,300 or less.

do you mean rent?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:07 AM

116 posts, read 527,363 times
If you're talking about renting, Bridgewater is a great area. You can get a very nice rental with almost an acre of land, good schools, all the shopping you could want, and accessible to major highways.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Yes we have to rent a house as we haven't any credit history and not enough money to buy one cash.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 AM

239 posts, read 1,139,124 times
My husband is British and we are buying a house although his US credit is non-existent. I am American but my decent credit was not taken into account since I am not working at the moment. My husband did have to show months of bill statements, bank account statements and a UK credit report, but was offered a mortgage roughly 4 times his salary. We are moving into our new house next week. If you have good credit in France then pack your financial documents, you might be able to buy (if that is what you would prefer). We already knew where we wanted to move, so have stayed in temporary accomodations for 3 months while househunting.

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM

Thank you very much for your post tiggywink. We didn't know about these possibility.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Your welcome--funny thing is that my husband didn't qualify for a car loan, but he did for a mortgage. He bought his car with cash, and I financed half of my car with him as a cosigner to establish some credit. He is applying for credit cards and gets rejected every time--yet again, the mortgage is fine. Both Wells Fargo and Chase offered him mortgages. Good Luck, I hope you enjoy NJ--I was living abroad for nearly 20 years--Mexico, Spain, England, and it's good to be back!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,787,075 times
tiggywink, every rejection counts against him. He should wait a while before applying again, or check into a prepaid card to start.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,915,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
tiggywink, every rejection counts against him. He should wait a while before applying again, or check into a prepaid card to start.
Yes, I was going to say that too. Had the same issue when I moved from the UK. Get a secured card to start building credit. I assume your hubbie already has a SS number. Also, he will be able to get a store credit card or gas card before a visa / mastercard.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the advice re: credit for DH--he does have credit cards that I add him to as full joint partner that *does* build a credit history for him (we checked on his US credit report, and it's there) , and the mortgage will count towards his credit alone--so we have enough credit between the two of us at the moment. We figure after he has the mortgage for a while, the rest of his "own" credit will come easily.

The advice we got from a financial advisor was to get SS# and bank acct. in his name alone, then Bank credit card. We never have a balance on any card--pay them off every month--and the only debt we have is the mortgage--and now, my car payment, which we could pay off right now--but will keep the loan for credit purposes.

It's sort of a catch-22--you need to apply to get credit, and if you have no credit, you will get rejected at first. But we'll get there in the end!

It's good to know about the gas/store credit cards--we're not there yet--got a rejection at Kohl's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey