Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Just how racist is NJ?
One of the most racist states 1 2.70%
One of the least racist states 28 75.68%
Somewhere in the middle 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 44,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
No, obviously that's not what I am saying. It would be retarded. Of course there is hate crimes against whites by blacks, but I am saying it looks like white people harm black people way more than blacks harm whites when it comes to racial hate, be it physical violence or threats and intimidation.
In what way do you see that happening today or in recent history?

And no, I am not looking for single instances. You said that it happens "way more" so you should have mountains of instances.

If you don't, then you probably should be saying what you just said.
Quote:
I haven't seen a lynching, and you do know that's a stupid question, but I heard enough stories even locally in my previous state of residence.
It's not a stupid question. You were the person who made the reference, I am just asking you to back it up. What's the purpose in saying that you never saw a black person lynching a white person when you also never saw a white person lynch a black person?
Quote:
Matta fact, this is some stupid sh1t, why am I white and arguing with you about YOUR people being hurt and you trying to deny it, should be the other way around. You're not uncle tom, are you
I see who the true racist in this thread is, YOU.

I like to discuss FACTS. Just because I am black, it doesn't mean that I have to ignore the facts in order to make my side "look better".

The fact that you would call me an Uncle Tom for being honest and discussing facts is disgusting.

And to answer your question, "my people" aren't being hurt. My family and friends have absolutely no issue or racism against them. I may have relatives who are long gone who have had bad things happen to them because of their race, but what race hasn't?

Quote:
It would be retarded.
I have a cousin with Downs Syndrome and my son has Autism. I don't appreciate your use of that word, certainly not in a thread about racism and discrimination.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
This is such an interesting post.

As someone who grew up in NJ and lived there until 10 years ago, I'd say it's in the middle. Not a hotbed of overt racism, but not a place where the majority of middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods are racially integrated.

I grew up in Belleville and there was a lot of racism b/w the blacks and Italians. When I was a kid we lived in a two-family house owned by an Italian who lived in the first-floor apt. One day, my sister invited a black friend over after school. The landlord was home at the time and when he saw her friend going up the steps to our apartment, he pulled my sister aside and told her that "******s" weren't allowed in his house.

My sister started to cry but was scared and told her friend she would have to leave. I was embarrassed but too scared to do anything so I called my mom at work. She came home, told off the landlord and then walked with us down the street to the girl's house and apologized to her mother for what the landlord had done.

The girl was never allowed to visit us again (her mom didn't want her to encounter our landlord) but my sister and her remained friends trough high school.

Later, as other immigrant groups began moving into town there was definitely prejudice between blacks and Asians and blacks and Hispanics.

After I got married I lived in Nutley and our block was like the United Nations with people of a lot of different ethnic backgrounds. Everyone looked out for each other and I don't remember any racist incidents, though I'm sure racism exists everywhere.

Now I live in one of the whitest states in the U.S. and b/c the majority of the population is ultra liberal there's a misconception that racism couldn't possible exist here. I've actually had people tell me that they're "colorblind" and can't see the difference b/w blacks and whites. But, until moving here I'd never heard someone my age use the term "colored" to reference a black person.

Interestingly, our state hosts a refugee resettlement program in an effort to import more minorities yet there is constant racial tension and charges of racism in the city where the refugees are resettled.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey