Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Just how racist is NJ?
One of the most racist states 1 2.70%
One of the least racist states 28 75.68%
Somewhere in the middle 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times

Advertisements

The new study using google searches ranks the most and least racist states. Do you think it's accurate and how racist is NJ in reality? I can't believe the stupid azz Utah is the least racist while NJ is top 10. I realize there is segregation and certain racial problems here, but come on, we have so much diversity and culture, we should be among the least racist ones, no?

How Racist Are We? Ask Google - NYTimes.com

And the actual breakdown of rankings:
Google Searches Show Where Racism May Hurt Obama's Campaign | Geekosystem

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 99,705 times
The segregation part kind of keeps the whole "integration" part low.

A lot of people I know here in NJ are very racist, or at least segregationist.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM

I agree with someone who posted on nytimes:

"Art SilverblattSt. Louis
The article by reporter Seth Stephens-Davidowitz focuses on the value of “Google Insights” in the analysis of political media. However, the article also appears to touch on the limits of this approach.
As described in the article, the study assumes that the keywords in a Google search represents a particular attitude on the part of the Googler. But does conducting a Google Search necessarily reveal a particular attitude?
For example, are we to conclude that the reporter of this article, Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, is a racist because he was looking up (and using) a particular racial epithet while conducting his study? Clearly not. But if he was including his own searches in his study, his word choice would be regarded as racist and his searches would factor into the final tabulation."

Now that I think bout it, I looked up racial slurs a LOT, just because, and I am def not racist.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i think you are going to see more "racism" where you have more diversity. not much of a point discussing race or looking up racial jokes if you dont have many people of other races around to hate/make fun of.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
My husband and I were born & raised in NJ, both the No. and So. parts, where we raised are children & they are still there. I did not see any form of racism until I moved to NC 9 yrs. ago. It is so bad down here I was ready to move back home to NJ.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
We were brought up not to be racists in my house, in Bergen County, in the 1960s. Of course, there were hardly ever any people of other races around to not be prejudiced against, so it was easy to be a non-racist.

My grandfather was a terrible racist. He warned my mother that she would not be allowed to date any Italians because they all sleep with their daughters, as everyone knew. I think my mother raised us to be non-racist in response to her own upbringing.

However, in the 70s, my oldest sister fell in love with a black man, and my mother had a little bit of a struggle when reality came home to dinner. My father was completely OK with it and liked my BIL from the beginning, but Dad had been disabled in a war wherein the enemy was trying to obliterate a whole group of people, so he basically taught us that prejudice was just plain stupid. Anyway, Mom got used to it, and my sister and her husband are still together.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM

374 posts, read 812,578 times
Why are there so many "is (some random state) racist" threads? It's getting old. There are racists in every state and people that aren't racist in every state.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you are going to see more "racism" where you have more diversity. not much of a point discussing race or looking up racial jokes if you dont have many people of other races around to hate/make fun of.
A lot of racists live in segregated communities with one race around them mostly, and maybe that's partly the reason they are racist. They are ignorant and were brainwashed to hate people they never met. I can say from my own experience, Oregon, which is a very white state is very racist, forget the study.
At the same time, you can live among other races and start hating them cuz of your bad encounters with them, but I still think you are more likely to hate if you live in an isolated community. (whether it's white or black)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Why are there so many "is (some random state) racist" threads? It's getting old. There are racists in every state and people that aren't racist in every state.
cuz it's an interesting topic

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,172 times
I encounter racism on almost daily basis, not targeted towards me but others. I don't think it can ever removed from our society.
But at the same time, people today are very quick to get rid of all racial biases as soon as they get to know the person.

Some other states, like Alabama, lack this. They remain racist even after knowing somebody for years.

When I am raising my children, I will make an extra huge effort to ensure they don't have a single thought of racism. I need to do that, because of one of the most racist places are our schools (children obviously get it from their parents). Although on decline, there are often cases of minority children being mocked, isolated or even worse beaten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey