Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,806 times

Advertisements

I am a Californian living in NJ for a year now. I got a speeding ticket in CA 2 years ago, $680 is the cost.

I want to get a NJ driver's license, can I do it? Is it possible to leave the mess of CA behind? I've heard the ticket is in collection, and going somewhere else now.

Any suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Most states have reciprocal agreements and are connected up by computer, so you will probably not be allowed to get a license anywhere else until that ticket has been paid. I had an employee that left owing one in Florida that followed her to Alaska, Washington, Nevada and California before she finally paid it and was able to drive again.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
It all depends on the ticket and its status. You can try getting a license here and if there is a problem they will tell you exactly what it is. As long as your license or registration privilege is not suspended you can be honest about everything.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
You can check your DMV status (in writting) on the national database;

National Driver Register | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

From the list maintained by the federal goveremnet, Data is feed into it from all states. Terr, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
It all depends on the ticket and its status. You can try getting a license here and if there is a problem they will tell you exactly what it is. As long as your license or registration privilege is not suspended you can be honest about everything.
I heard from my roommate that his friend got a ticket, didn't pay it. Somehow he was stopped for another violation, ended up in New Brunswick jail for a night.

Is that true? Man, I'm hella scared to get a license in NJ now. lol.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgwq View Post
I heard from my roommate that his friend got a ticket, didn't pay it. Somehow he was stopped for another violation, ended up in New Brunswick jail for a night.

Is that true? Man, I'm hella scared to get a license in NJ now. lol.
That would not happen to you since California would not want to extradite you all the way across the country for a ticket. Only if you where stopped in CA or if it was a serious crime would they do that. Or if you had NJ tickets and the town(s) wanted you to answer them.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 AM

257 posts, read 685,072 times
Problems like that don't just "go away", or if they do it's very rarely and due to someone's mistake. If your ticket's in "collection" you're also likely to have a warrant in CA. Are you sure you'll never go there again? Act like an adult and try to find out how you can get this thing settled - your future self will be very grateful.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
I'll keep this short and sweet....

If a person is suspended in ANY state...they are suspended in EVERY state.

Of course, the O.P. mentioned nothing about suspensions, however it is one of the most basic actions taken by any court to enforce their authority.

Suspensions are a way of gaining eventual compliance in legal matters.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Can they put you in jail for a night over a $680 ticket? That's my question. I've never heard of this in CA, but it's happening in NJ. If that's true, there is NO WAY I am getting a NJ driver's license. That's some crazy law.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgwq View Post
Can they put you in jail for a night over a $680 ticket? That's my question. I've never heard of this in CA, but it's happening in NJ. If that's true, there is NO WAY I am getting a NJ driver's license. That's some crazy law.
Yes, in NJ they put you in jail for just about anything. Last time I was in court, there was a guy who got put in jail for a seat belt ticket that he hadn't paid 10 years prior. Only he hadn't gotten it. They didn't have the driver's license number of the guy who DID get it, they just had his name, which was a common one. The prosecutor refused to dismiss anyway.

They also like to take your car for any reason. They towed my car from a parking lot for expired registration while I was at work, leaving me with no way home. Kicker was, the registration wasn't expired, though I hadn't put the new plates on. Totally illegal and I didn't have to pay the ticket; still stuck with the tow fees and two days in court, though.

A family friend, an older man, once got stopped at 2am in his brand new car after leaving a wedding. He wasn't drunk. The cop said his car registration wasn't in the system, so he'd have to tow the car and leave him and his wife in the middle of the nowhere at 2am. Only reason he didn't do it is the guy's last name was the same as a cop's, and this guy had the presence of mind to say the cop was his grand-nephew.

So if you're going to drive in NJ, get used to the system beating on you a bit. A night in jail, a long walk home, rapacious fees and fines, a few days in court -- all part of the price of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey