Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,778 times

Advertisements

I was parked at a meter on bergen ave. I made a u,turn out of the spot and crossed over the double yellow lines in the process. I was given one ticket for the u turn and another for improper passing. the tickets were written separately; one was hand written by one of the officers, the other was done digitally by the other officer (who never showed me his face).
I have a few questions:
1. Why did they write the tickets separately?

2. Is there anything that I can do to fight thm? I don-t mind the points too much, my insurance company said that my premium won't change as long as this does not become a pattern, and I can do traffic school to reduce the points.

I guess I understand the u-turn, but I think that the improper passing should be thrown out. Any opinions will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,019,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissa03 View Post
I was parked at a meter on bergen ave. I made a u,turn out of the spot and crossed over the double yellow lines in the process. I was given one ticket for the u turn and another for improper passing. the tickets were written separately; one was hand written by one of the officers, the other was done digitally by the other officer (who never showed me his face).
I have a few questions:
1. Why did they write the tickets separately?

2. Is there anything that I can do to fight thm? I don-t mind the points too much, my insurance company said that my premium won't change as long as this does not become a pattern, and I can do traffic school to reduce the points.

I guess I understand the u-turn, but I think that the improper passing should be thrown out. Any opinions will help.
More than likely they will offer you a higher fine and no point reduction. You can fight it too and explain and maybe you won't have to pay anything.

JCPD must be desperate for money. Improper U turn is so common, I bet most drivers don't even know its not legal.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
More than likely they will offer you a higher fine and no point reduction. You can fight it too and explain and maybe you won't have to pay anything.

JCPD must be desperate for money. Improper U turn is so common, I bet most drivers don't even know its not legal.
They offer that to everybody. I would think they will throw one of the tick's out, but then you have to decide what to do with the other. See how many points its worth, if they offer you some deal find out the details. If its too much $$ decide if you want to just pay the one ticky.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
My 2 biggest peeves with other drivers and you did both of them at once. There's a reason there's a double yellow line! DO NOT CROSS IT!

I really hate when the courts let people off for not adhering to the laws. You broke TWO - at the same time! PAY THE TICKETS !

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
My 2 biggest peeves with other drivers and you did both of them at once. There's a reason there's a double yellow line! DO NOT CROSS IT!

I really hate when the courts let people off for not adhering to the laws. You broke TWO - at the same time! PAY THE TICKETS !

Ey,,, where from New Jersey, that means we have diplomatic immunity

Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

I don't really see how he was doing "both at once". You're either making an illegal u-turn or you are making an improper pass.

OP, you need to go to court. I think the U-turn ticket is around $85 and 3 points. The improper passing ticket is $85 and 4 points. That is assuming that it didn't happen in a "safe corridor" in which case the fines go up to around $140 per, but the points stay the same. The issue isn't the money, but the points. Since the two violations add up to 7 points, it will automatically trigger a surcharge and that can cost you a lot.

I'm not sure it's worth a lawyer, but you definitely need to argue it in court. You want one of those tickets dropped and then you want to plead guilty to the amended charge of "unsafe operation" on the other. This charge carries no points, but a rather hefty fine. Between the fine, surcharge for having points dropped by pleading 'unsafe operation' and court costs, it could end up costing you around $400 or so, but the net result is no points; so no insurance increases and no surcharges. Even if they won't drop one of them, you really want to plead guitly to an amended charge on the improper passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: