Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM

75 posts, read 221,516 times

Advertisements

My family of four is relocating to NJ from Suffolk County Long Island. I will be working in Union NJ (Elizabeth) We like suburban living. I am looking to find a reasonable updated, 3-4 bedroom ranch or cape with a small yard (under 1/2 acre) for $330k or less. We looked up in Rockaway township by White Meadow Lake and Denville (27 miles south 45-60 min commute?) - and are now looking as far south as Freehold/Marlboro (30 miles north - commute time unknown)

I have 4 & 7 year old boys, so good public schools are important. Marlboro/Rockaway/Denville schools seem to fit the bill.

Rockaways/Denville, I am told, get hit with worse winter weather, very hilly/icy roads, have bear problems, & the houses and properties in my price range seem dated.

Marlboro/Freehold, I've been told, get more house for your money, lower taxes but beach traffic going south on Fridays is really bad (how bad?) Freehold Borough is no good(bad schools), Freehold Township is good.(true?) Marlboro also seemed to have good schools with some housing that falls in that range.

Any other pro's and cons? Any other towns that fall within 30 miles and a 60 minute or less commute - Mon-Friday 7am-6pm?.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I live in Toms River and work in Elizabeth. It's true that going south on the Parkway in the summer on Friday nights can be rough. Figure on about 10-12 days (based on the number of Fridays in the summer). When you think of it that way it really isn't so bad. Plus, if you wait until about 7:30 you generally miss the traffic. However, you really wont be travelling that far south if you are going to Marlboro so it really isn't that bad. I would much rather do that commute than going to Rockaway.

Don't forget to add in gas and tolls to your budget if you are heading south. You might want to look at Cranford. The houses in your price range will be small, but the school district is great and you are 15 minutes (all local roads) from Elizabeth.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Between the two I would choose the hills of Rockytown. The winters are not really much worse there than most everywhere else and I like that type of terrain. Closer to the rural areas also. Depends on your taste in living.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 AM

What time do you commute from toms river? How long is your commute? Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I leave TR about 6:40am. I get to the area around Broad St. at 7:45 most days. I leave about 4:10pm and get to TR about 5:30. Marlboro is North West of TR so it is a very diff. commute because I travel much further south on the Parkway. I'm a teacher so I don't do the drive south on Fridays in the summer, but I used to. That's why I know that leaving at 7:30pm on Fridays makes a big diff.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 AM

Any other advice or recommendations on additional towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey