Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 50,351 times

Advertisements

I am leaving the land of high taxes in New York to pay just about the same amount of taxes in Southern New Jersey. This move is justified by the better job/better pay. My school tax bill (for New York) was delivered to me yesterday and it amounts to $9,000. My property tax bill comes in February. I hope I have sold my home and moved by the time that bill comes. From the research I've done, it looks as though I will have my children in better schools in New Jersey than I have now.
Aside from the tax talk, I need some good statements to make in response to all of the negative remarks we get from people when we mention that we are moving to New Jersey. Most people here in New York view all of New Jersey from what they see from the turnpike; smoke stacks and lots of smoke pipes on the tops of buildings. People have actually asked if we were going to be living in a toxic chemical dump site. I try to tell people that I have seen many farms and mentioned that New Jersey is called the "Garden state" for a reason. I need more good things to say. Please help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,786 times
Smile Best Kept Secret

Don’t tell them anything. S. Jersey is the state’s biggest secret. Tucked over along I 295 well below Trenton and bypassing the NJ Turnpike (which has few exits down here anyway. Thank God!) Sure we also have the state’s notorious property taxes, (HELP!), but we also have a cost of living, including housing, more in line with the Philadelphia/Wilmington area; charming little towns like Medford, Haddon Heights, Haddonfield, Mullica Hill, Moorestown, Riverton and Merchantville to name a few. A lot of exciting things are happening in Collingwood, and if you’ve ever wanted to own a log cabin on a lake, check out Medford Lakes. Lots of open farmland with fresh fruit/veggie stands in the summer (but I worry about their future). The Pine Barons restrict growth in the center of our area so that opens up good recreational opportunities if you like canoeing, hiking, ect. Depending on where you live, towns in Camden, Burlington and Glouster counties are 10-25 min. to center city Philadelphia, closer then most of the PA suburbs. The PATCO High Speed line is fast and reliable. NYC is an easy drive for a afternoon if you avoid heavy commuting hours. The Philadelphia Airport is close. Attitudes around here seem to be more laid back, not as much pressure to “keep up” which is good if you have kids. The city of Camden doesn’t get very good press with its crime, but I have to say the crime doesn’t seem to directly impact those outside the city and it’s exciting to watch its Comeback with a massive water front development. Rutgers is pouring a lot of resources into the downtown. I am not a Jersey Girl, but came here in 1983 under protest. My extended family still lives in MD, VA and NC. I can always vacation on the southern beaches to avoid the crowds which is the one thing I don’t care for here, but I feel this area has a lot to offer; communities that highly value education, beautiful towns, easy access to a number of major cities, less traffic, nice countryside and, except for the absence of eastern Carolina BBQ , you can’t beat the food. It’s not perfect. We have our share of local political corruption, but if you have a good paying job and don’t have to worry about commuting back to the north Jersey/NYC area, you should definitely check the region out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey