Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 39,583 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My company is relocating me to Manhattan. We have four young boys who are all in elementary school, or approaching elementary school. We are moving from a pretty rural area and would like to raise our boys in an place where they will have a great quality of life--plenty of trees to climb, water to swim in and interesting places to explore. Obviously, a great public school system, and decent housing ($350K to $450K) (preferably older housing stock) is also very important.

Can anyone suggest places that are within commuting distance to NYC? I would like to keep my commute to no more than 90 minutes. Is that even possible?

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 AM

43 posts, read 191,269 times
In this range ($350K to $450K) I would guess something like Lake Hopatcong, Mount Arlington, Rockaway, Denville and Boonton Township. I would mention Mine Hill and Wharton (they have one of the best elementary schools or at least they did), but the high school is in Dover for these two towns and for some people it’s a concern.
Most people who live in the towns mentioned above take either bus or train to Manhattan.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM

14 posts, read 119,031 times
The only decent rual area you may find all of that is in Sussex or Warren Counties.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMom1231 View Post
The only decent rual area you may find all of that is in Sussex or Warren Counties.
I concur. Also check into Pike County, PA, as I mentioned to you on the PA forum. The drive between Milford, PA and I-80 in NJ is, for the most part, scenic and relaxing. (The drive on I-80 is a different story! LOL!)

Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 128,523 times
Default be ready for a looooooooong commute

....if you plan to move out to west Jersey (ie Lopatcong or closer to PA). The average 2 hour bus ride (each way) is NOT pleasant. You mentioned you have 4 boys in elementary school. I have a feeling you won't be seeing them too much during the week. If you have to be in the city by 9am (average), you'll have to leave that area by 7am—at least an hour before the boys have to be in school. Then you have to deal with the long bus/train ride and then factor in traffic (due to accidents, inclement weather, etc). And if you leave the city at 5pm (that's "early", depending on what type of job you do), you usually don't get home until 7pm. I guess that's relatively early, but in my experience, people working in the city, usually don't leave work til 6pm (or later). That would mean the 2 hr. commute home will get you in around 8pm. And if your sons bedtimes are around 8pm, then you won't be seeing them too much at night either.

Maybe I'm overstating this "commute scenario" but unfortunately, most of the time it's true (and people that commute from west Jersey can certainly vouch for this). I'm just concerned because I have an 11-year old son whom I enjoy seeing before he goes to bed. But alot of the times, when I'd get stuck at work or traffic would be horrendous, I'd be exhausted just from the commute and all I wanted to do was plop down and go to bed! Forget any quality time with him—all I wanted to do was sleep! Luckily, my husband was home to fill that void, but I feel, in some way, that it affected my relationship with my son.

What I mentioned above was just a long-winded way of saying, although the housing costs are much cheaper in west Jersey, the long commute into the city just sucks the quality of life out of you. I suggest (if you can afford it) to move much closer EAST and closer to NYC (ie Middlesex, Essex Counties, ect). You won't be getting a "rural" lifestyle, but at least you'll be seeing your kids a lot more during the work week.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:15 PM

15 posts, read 107,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGjr View Post
Hi Everyone,

My company is relocating me to Manhattan. We have four young boys who are all in elementary school, or approaching elementary school. We are moving from a pretty rural area and would like to raise our boys in an place where they will have a great quality of life--plenty of trees to climb, water to swim in and interesting places to explore. Obviously, a great public school system, and decent housing ($350K to $450K) (preferably older housing stock) is also very important.

Can anyone suggest places that are within commuting distance to NYC? I would like to keep my commute to no more than 90 minutes. Is that even possible?

Thanks for all your help.
If your salary permits high taxes and real estate prices of new york state I would advise staying somewhere along the metro north commuter railroad line. This is a quick and efficient way in and out of the city. Putnam and Dutchess counties are still rural and beautiful.You may be able to pick up an older home somewhere closer to your price range. Best of luck.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 27,723 times
Morris county is your best bet for great living- as you mentioned.Try Parsippany, Cedar knolls or Morris plains- Lake hopatcong-NO mount arlington-NO - not as desirable- and a further commute but probably less expensive- sorry. Rockaway and Denville also nice. You can also try-Summit-which may be more expensive, but your commute to the city will be easier.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
Ditto Jerseymom... the only true country life to be found in the northern half of NJ is in Sussex and Warren Counties. The commute from Warren County to NYC would be well over 90 minutes, I am fairly certain.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 54,164 times
You should also take a look at the Danbury, CT/Brewster,NY areas. I THINK that those are about 90 minutes from the city and defintely a bit more country. Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 22,382 times
why isn't mount arlington a desirable area? I don;t know too much about it, we also were looking to possibly moving there or somewhere in sussex county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey