Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,908 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I (late 20's) are thinking about buying a house off of MLK ave in Morristown. We've been to the area a couple of times, but can't really determine much about it by the few visits we've had. Is it safe over there? Does anyone know of any plans to redevelop that area that would possibly raise property values? Our budget is $250-$300,000, and it seems like it's much more affordable to get a house in that section of town. Just wondering if it's an ok place to live...??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 AM

30 posts, read 61,736 times
I moved out of Motown a few years ago, but MLK Ave is probably the worst part of Morristown... but, its not that bad, especially compared to other towns in Northern NJ. A single family house in a nice area is going to be tough to under 300k... there are nice 1 and 2 bedroom apartments and condos available in better spots.

I would move there and rent before buying, especially with a limited budget.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
The area in question , is more suburb and FYI not all MLK aves or boulevards are poor or bad areas...

Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The area in question , is more suburb and FYI not all MLK aves or boulevards are poor or bad areas...
True, but I lived a few blocks from MLK Ave in Morristown. Every person I know still living there doesn't walk down Spring or MLK. The rest of Motown is very nice. Active nightlife, activities on the Green etc.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,908 times
Yea - I know it's tough with that budget - that's why I was wondering if it seems like that area is getting better? When we visited it seemed fine - some of it was a little run down, but there was new construction and some really nice houses, too, so it was kind of hard to read. We're from Brooklyn, so I'm not put off easily by places that are in transition. With that being said, I also don't want to invest in an area that has no chance of getting better/safer. We don't mind a fixer-upper situation, but don't want a condo since we're already living in a small place and want some more space. Also, right now seems like the time to buy!! Any recommendations of other areas in Mtown to check out that might be a little more affordable? Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Drive by on Friday and Saturday nights to get a feel for the area when the locals are home from work and out and about.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J9NYC View Post
Yea - I know it's tough with that budget - that's why I was wondering if it seems like that area is getting better? When we visited it seemed fine - some of it was a little run down, but there was new construction and some really nice houses, too, so it was kind of hard to read. We're from Brooklyn, so I'm not put off easily by places that are in transition. With that being said, I also don't want to invest in an area that has no chance of getting better/safer. We don't mind a fixer-upper situation, but don't want a condo since we're already living in a small place and want some more space. Also, right now seems like the time to buy!! Any recommendations of other areas in Mtown to check out that might be a little more affordable? Thanks for the advice!

The area around MLK and Spring St is definitely the "bad" part of town, but we are talking bad for Morris County, we are not talking Harlem, or Newark "bad". The area you are looking in is known as "the Hollow". Morristown is really experiencing a Renaissance, with lots of new development. It is a wonderful place to live. There are plans in place for a major re development of Speedwell Ave which will bring more changes for the good of the town. You can find more info on the project here Morristown moving ahead with Speedwell Avenue redevelopment plan | NJ.com and Green light for phase one of Speedwell Ave. redevelopment in Morristown - New Jersey Hills Newspaper: Morris NewsBee News

With your budget, try going further north from the hollow on MLK, towards Hanover Ave, the home prices will still be lower than other areas of Morristown, but you will be further away from the hollow (and the small govt housing project and the bad part of town.) A down side of that though is that you will no longer be walking distance to the center of town (the Green) and the train station. You may also find some housing off Speedwell and by the high school. Speedwell Ave is also not the most desirable area, but again, we are not talking Newark. IMHO, if you are comfortable in Brooklyn you will be fine in any part of Morristown.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
The area you are looking in is known as "the Hollow".
Thats right, now I remember that name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
The area around MLK and Spring St is definitely the "bad" part of town, but we are talking bad for Morris County, we are not talking Harlem, or Newark "bad".
Agreed. You have a better chance of seeing a Ferrari driving down Speedwell than getting mugged in Morristown. But I wouldn't make yourself vulnerable like running at dusk on the Patriot's Path or provoking a rambling homeless man bathing in the fountain on the Green.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Avoid any street in America called MLK.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Chris Rock sums up MLK Boulevard:

Martin Luther King Boulevard Sound Clip and Quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey