Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM

560 posts, read 540,000 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I always got useful & helpful advice in the past here. I could post my question in the house section but knew estimates for renovations really vary across the country. I wanted to get specific answers, and figured to post here for accurate info.

We'll be doing extensive renovations with our home instead of moving; I posed the dilemma while ago and came to find out moving is actually much more expensive option. The property we were considering had major water damage in their basement, so deal is off on that.

Anyhoo...we asked for estimates to replace ALL of our windows (18) with triple pane windows and a few casement windows, two new patio doors, replace our current old aluminum siding with vinyl siding, and do facelift of our tudor style home with trimming, paint, stucco. This is in addition of replacing our old deck with 16 by 20 trex deck and a whole overhaul kitchen redo with 3 feet bump-out with new island, expand our existing laundry room to include mudroom, and update our powder room with new vanity, mirror, toilet, lighting and paint.

Our home is a Tudor exterior and center hall colonial interior, so the windows is a big part of our budget as it's mostly custom.

All this for 215K? does that sound about right?? We were budgeting for 175-200K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I think it is going to be very hard for people to tell you if this is a good price. There are so many variables. Have you gotten quotes from multiple contractors?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Doesn't have to cost that much, but if it's all custom and you choose all top end products, it could be more. It's very subjective to what you pick for your home, and what the contractor wants to charge.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
Make sure you are not overdoing it for the neighborhood. What I mean is, if the houses in your neighborhood are going for X and yours currently is Y, make sure your renovations don't put you over X, as you likely wont see those returns when it comes time to sell. I know its your home first, investment second, but no point in dumping 200k into a home when it will only sell for 50-100k more than it will now when its time to sell. ie, you dont want your home worth 600k in a neghborhood were homes only go for 400k

Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Make sure you are not overdoing it for the neighborhood. What I mean is, if the houses in your neighborhood are going for X and yours currently is Y, make sure your renovations don't put you over X, as you likely wont see those returns when it comes time to sell. I know its your home first, investment second, but no point in dumping 200k into a home when it will only sell for 50-100k more than it will now when its time to sell. ie, you dont want your home worth 600k in a neghborhood were homes only go for 400k
That was the first thing I thought of & stayed with throughout my estimates and research. When we bought this home for 500K in a 500-700K neighborhood, nothing was updated here apart from the stone tile in kitchen/foyer. Over the past 5 years, we've updated our master bath, main bath upstairs and brought the living, dining and family rooms into 2010 era. All that's left to update is our kitchen, powder room and deck. All of which looks very tired, dated and very 80's. it's the 2nd estimate so far, the first being so wild at 350K!

So, even if we spend 200K, we wouldn't be overpricing our home as it'll just bring it up to equal value of other updated homes in my street. Furthermore, this is our forever home as currently have a small age son and will add more to our family, so this reno is necessary. What's included in the 200K estimate will be custom made cabinets, all new lighting (recessed, pendants, and wall lightings, ceiling fan, fixtures) and flooring (either stone tile or hardwood floor).

I know it's hard to give accurate advice when everything within a kitchen reno is very variable but we're not gonna be high-end. More of mid-range with new 5 burner cooktop, mid range big oven with another convention/micro oven and a vent along with new D/W and fridge.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think it is going to be very hard for people to tell you if this is a good price. There are so many variables. Have you gotten quotes from multiple contractors?
It's our 2nd estimate so far. First one I didn't like the company and felt his estimate was just too high over 300K. To me, when someone is quoting me 300K i expect a whole lower/upper floor addition when i'm just doing a bump-out!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

303 posts, read 920,044 times
Sounds like your being ripped off buddy boy. I do rehabs and investor flips in central NJ ... I can go into a place gut it and replace the windows for $300/window. Thats standard aluminium, white with capping and 10 yrs warrenty. I can replace the siding on a house for $5K, easy.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Sounds like your being ripped off buddy boy. I do rehabs and investor flips in central NJ ... I can go into a place gut it and replace the windows for $300/window. Thats standard aluminium, white with capping and 10 yrs warrenty. I can replace the siding on a house for $5K, easy.
How about windows with diamond detail? like I said, it's a Tudor style home. So all of the front windows will have to be custom ordered.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
Anyhoo...we asked for estimates to replace ALL of our windows (18) with triple pane windows and a few casement windows, two new patio doors, replace our current old aluminum siding with vinyl siding, and do facelift of our tudor style home with trimming, paint, stucco. This is in addition of replacing our old deck with 16 by 20 trex deck and a whole overhaul kitchen redo with 3 feet bump-out with new island, expand our existing laundry room to include mudroom, and update our powder room with new vanity, mirror, toilet, lighting and paint.

Our home is a Tudor exterior and center hall colonial interior, so the windows is a big part of our budget as it's mostly custom.

All this for 215K? does that sound about right?? We were budgeting for 175-200K.
First of all, this is NJ, not Florida; you don't need triple pane around here and probably don't want it because it'll reduce both transparency (V.T. -- visible transmission) and solar heat gain (S.H.G.C.) and increase your heating bills. I'm not sure what you mean by "custom" windows, pretty much all replacement windows are custom. Trex is expensive; personally I'd stick with wood. Sounds like you're looking for all top-end stuff and it may be both unnecessary and outside your budget.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post

Any home for 5K ? Wow! I can't imagine what type of work I'd be getting. I don't allow illegals on any of my projects.*

*This is not meant to be discriminatory. Illegals have no rights, they are not a protected class. They are thieves, stealing American jobs, avoiding taxes, and deteriorating the quality of life. the next job lost may be yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey