Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
But you don't live in NYC, so its not comparing to where you acually live. In rush hour NYC was as far from me as Chattanooga is now, So would I show you places there? No, because I don't live close to there.
I'm not even showing the town where my daughter is in college, and that's only 45 min away.
Diane
And you don't live in Nashville either; you live in a suburb about 20-30 minutes away. C'mon now Dianne, try to tell the truth....I've been there and there isn't an endless supply of excellent independent restaurants, there are a few. There is, however, an overabundance of chain restaurants, much more that in Morris County...in fact that was one of the things that put us off of the area - the sea of endless strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
But you don't live in NYC, so its not comparing to where you acually live. In rush hour NYC was as far from me as Chattanooga is now, So would I show you places there? No, because I don't live close to there.
I'm not even showing the town where my daughter is in college, and that's only 45 min away.
Diane
Yeah right. Brentwood TN to Chattanooga TN is 128 mi – or about 2 hours 6 mins with no traffic. That was one mighty slow bus or train you were taking to NYC. Again, try to tell the truth....or do you think the people in NJ are stupid as well?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
And you don't live in Nashville either; you live in a suburb about 20-30 minutes away. C'mon now Dianne, try to tell the truth....I've been there and there isn't an endless supply of excellent independent restaurants, there are a few. There is, however, an overabundance of chain restaurants, much more that in Morris County...in fact that was one of the things that put us off of the area - the sea of endless strip malls.
I actually have a Nashville address but schools in Brentwood. I'm on the line where this used to be Brentwood, but switched the border. My taxes are Nashville, so a bit higher than if it were Brentwood. The listing acually said Brentwood, and my realtor thought it was correct as the Brentwood Border is accross the street. So techically I live in Nashville, just not downtown. Its a 15 min drive though on interstate I-65 Nothing is to far here. I can also be in Franklin in 15 min.
Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah right. Brentwood TN to Chattanooga TN is 128 mi – or about 2 hours 6 mins with no traffic. That was one mighty slow bus or train you were taking to NYC. Again, try to tell the truth....or do you think the people in NJ are stupid as well?
It took my husband over 2 hours to get home from Wall Street, leaving at 5pm every night. It was one traffic problem after another. Some nights he was on the bus until 8pm. It was either traffic in Tunnel or some road was closed. Some nights they ended going thru Staten Island. This was Academy, RT 9.
I am telling the truth. You are Mean. It is supposed to be an hour, it never was. Maybe at 3pm, but not 5pm.
Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
It took my husband over 2 hours to get home from Wall Street, leaving at 5pm every night. It was one traffic problem after another. Some nights he was on the bus until 8pm. It was either traffic in Tunnel or some road was closed. Some nights they ended going thru Staten Island. This was Academy, RT 9.
I am telling the truth. You are Mean. It is supposed to be an hour, it never was. Maybe at 3pm, but not 5pm.
Diane
And who forced you to live all the way down in Manalapan? Nobody was pointing a gun to your head demanding to move all the way down there.

Oh and P.S. STOP HIJACKING MY THREADS!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
And who forced you to live all the way down in Manalapan? Nobody was pointing a gun to your head demanding to move all the way down there.

Oh and P.S. STOP HIJACKING MY THREADS!!!!!!!!
It was an Hour when we moved there. Young Mam get a hand on yourself. It's only a thread, lol
Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 PM

112 posts, read 436,934 times
Quote:
Food? I found a new section today by Vanderbilt university, some really trendy cafe's. Even a NY Deli We were getting our car serviced at dealer downtown, so we
took a walk, I had to hit the ladies room, so saw an Embassy Suite, in lobby was someone I knew from Manalapan. It seems her daughter was attending Vanderbilt University. They were up for weekend and could not believe I moved here.
Diane
Sorry, I couldn't resist posting. I live in the heart of Vanderbilt University, and there are like 2 non-chain "trendy cafes." Having moved here straight from Manhattan, I can't even bring myself to eat at the NY Deli you reference. It's been over 12 years since I left NJ but my parents have relocated back to NJ recently. Stuff I crave in Nashville that I eat when I visit NJ includes thin crust pizza, good Thai, good Mediterranean/Greek, Indian take out. I drive 11 miles to the only Dunkin Donuts in this area when I really crave the coffee, although Krispy Kremes can be found much closer and is an ok subsitute.

I do a lot of lunch ordering for my group and I wish I could order the sandwiches like the pictures posted. We have to make do with the menu from Panera or the few chichi local sandwich places which are the same aforementioned "trendy cafes."

Nashville has fulfilled me with easy access to small and large chain restaurants galore that were largely absent in NYC (in the Vandy/downtown area and also in Cool Springs/Brentwood). I am not impressed by the strip mall local eateries or any of the local ethnic food places I have tried here. There are a handful of unique restaurants that I have enjoyed. But I would still give props to North Jersey having waaaay more diversity and selection in every type of food you could find since the population is so much more diverse, duh. Factor in the proximity to NYC and Nashville doesn't even compare so let's not.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the food is one of the reasons that I will move back to NJ.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I just got back from visiting a client in Garfield and since it was around lunch time, I decided to stop off at Golden Eagle in Garfield for potato pancakes, then over to D'Anna's on the Lodi/Garfield line for some black and whites and sfogliatelle.

People can complain all they want, but North Jersey has some of the best food in the country. What do they have elsewhere? Sweet tea and BBQ? Yeah, that's original.

I so miss bakeries. That has to be the pits about living in Burlington County vs. Union County. I need to drive to 5 points in Union to get Napolians. Wonder if they take phone orders and would fedex it to me...

Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
It was an Hour when we moved there. Young Mam get a hand on yourself. It's only a thread, lol
Diane
Sounds like HobokenGuy is in for a fun night.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Sounds like HobokenGuy is in for a fun night.
I won't tell you what I think he was it for, lack of something, lol. On another thread he was after other people, sounds like frustration to me.

Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey