Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Anyone know a good Italian Restaurant in Monroe/ Jamesburg, will need it for my son's rehersal dinner? I really don't know restaurants in that area. All I can come up with is Nomma's in Marlboro.

Diane
Congratulations! When is the wedding? You'll be parking your broom in Jersey for a spell, I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
Congratulations! When is the wedding? You'll be parking your broom in Jersey for a spell, I guess?
Unfortunatly, I'll have to come there and stay at a hotel. I'm surely not a witch. It's not until next year but I have no idea what restaurants are in that area. That is where his fiance lives.

Diane

Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Glad to see that everyone still maintains their sense of humor on here. I have a kitchen witch.
Just trying to get back to the topic of food.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Unfortunatly, I'll have to come there and stay at a hotel. I'm surely not a witch. It's not until next year but I have no idea what restaurants are in that area. That is where his fiance lives.

Diane
Diane, you're always mentioning like eighty gajillion friends, but you can't find one friend who will allow you to stay with her? Someone an hour or less away?

Re: Kitchen witch...me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
I hear ya! The problem is they can't get the right bread for a good sub like in the old days. I can't stand anything a "chain" has to offer be it Quizno's, Olive Garden, etc. Does anyone remember Jimmy Buff's hot dogs? Were they not the BEST? The original store in Irvinton just closed last year. West Orange and I think it's Watchung still remain.
Yeaughhhhhhhhhhh...I'm not a fan of the chains either.

I don't remember Jimmy Buff's, but I seem to recall that tiny Nathan's stores were all over the malls at one point, then they seemed to die down a little. I LOVE Nathan's fries.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:02 AM

55 posts, read 220,792 times
Hoboken Guy, I used to love eating those Lobster Tail pastries..but they are 1500 calories each! I'll bet you're not counting your cals?

Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Black and white cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drool.

You know what I really miss? Samwiches. No, not sandwiches. Samwiches are something different altogether. If you go to a deli anywhere else in the country (well, okay...I'm bluffing because I haven't been to every single other place in the entire country) and order a sandwich, you get two slices of bread, two slices of turkey and a few greens which may or may not be identifiable.

But go to Jersey to a good old deli and order a samwich and OH BOY. First of all, the server only asks you what kind of bread as a formality. Usually he makes the assumption himself, with an interesting question-that's-really-a-statement, "On a roll?"

Once in a while, you'll be bluffed with what would appear to be a choice. "Six inch or round roll?" If you answer, "Round roll," you'll get a surprised look and a stutter..."Oh...oh. Round roll?" Just to make sure, he will pick up a round roll with one hand and point to it with the other. "This one?"

Because, I mean...a round roll? It's, you know. Small. Who orders a samwich if he or she wants "small"? You want small, you go home, slap a piece of liverwurst between two pieces of Wonder Bread and you're done.

All the delis offer wheat, of course. And pumpernickel, and rye. But again, those are...small. So...you can get it. I mean...if that's what you really want...Okay. Next comes the protein. (You had to see the looks I used to get for ordering lettuce-and-tomato sandwiches. THAT'S no samwich.) When you select your protein--say, honey ham--the server proceeds to place an entire pig worth of honey ham onto your samwich.

And people complain that it's $5.75. You've gotta be kidding me, two pounds of ham, half a salad full of lettuce, tomato, three condiments ("a little" mayo is less than four tablespoons), and of course, by request (but did you really have to ask?) good oil and vinegar...I'll pay the $5.75.

Other places offer huge bread-and-protein-and-vegetable lunches. But they're not called sandwiches (and certainly not samwiches). They're given specific names, to identify just HOW HUGE they really are. Subs, grinders, hoagies, cheesesteaks, whatever. In New Jersey, there is no such distinction. It's not necessary, because you know that when you order up at the deli, it's going to be huge. If it has anything to do with bread and involves meat, it's going to be huge.

Samwiches!

I miss them...my thighs don't...but I do...
"I must spread some more reputation around before giving it to Jer-Z again". Sigh. In the interim, I present to you the best sandwich from the best restaurant on Gods green earth, the White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City:

I love green chile enchiladas, southern BBQ, Meat & 3, etc, however, they take a back seat to this. Nothing approaches this. This is what I ask for right before the warden throws the switch.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:

Stop!!! I'm choking here

Old 09-28-2007, 08:03 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Diane, you're always mentioning like eighty gajillion friends, but you can't find one friend who will allow you to stay with her? Someone an hour or less away?

Re: Kitchen witch...me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband is private so would rarely even stay with family. I do have some frieds that offered in Manalapan. I also have family in Lincoln Park and my husband won't stay with them and they are his first cousin.
Diane

Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
My husband is private so would rarely even stay with family. I do have some frieds that offered in Manalapan. I also have family in Lincoln Park and my husband won't stay with them and they are his first cousin.
Diane

On that I can relate..my husband will not stay with anyone..feels more comfortable in a hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey