Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job relocation: attorney review, online applications, interstate move, closing date, two mortgages

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM

267 posts, read 950,326 times

Advertisements

Buying our first house wasn't that big of a deal. We just finished up our lease in our apartment and were staying with family for a week or two. This allowed us to beat out a lot of other potential buyers on our current home because we were ready to at moment's notice....
Now we are thinking about another move....one which will require a relocation of jobs. My question is...HOW THE HECK DO YOU PULL THIS OFF?! I have to find a job, sell my house, then buy another one. I just imagine it being one big sloppy mess. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm sure other people have had plenty of experience in doing this. Any advice for me as to what should come first?? I don't see how all three can happen perfectly together.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Buying our first house wasn't that big of a deal. We just finished up our lease in our apartment and were staying with family for a week or two. This allowed us to beat out a lot of other potential buyers on our current home because we were ready to at moment's notice....
Now we are thinking about another move....one which will require a relocation of jobs. My question is...HOW THE HECK DO YOU PULL THIS OFF?! I have to find a job, sell my house, then buy another one. I just imagine it being one big sloppy mess. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm sure other people have had plenty of experience in doing this. Any advice for me as to what should come first?? I don't see how all three can happen perfectly together.

Thanks
I did that over a year ago and its not easy, but can be done. The one thing we did not have to do was find a Job. My husband's job was transfered here at our request. His companies main office is Nashville.
As soon as we finished attorney review on our house in NJ, we went here to buy a house. We had traveled out here several times before and the realtor showed us the area and houses that would fit what were were looking for. She showed us subdivisions that could possibly have houses when we were ready to buy. Maybe you can take a long weekend out, and search for jobs also. Some companies do applications on line today.
You need to make sure when you sign a contract elsewhere of the rules of the Contract, In NJ it is on or about, but can be 30 days later. That may not be true where you are moving. They may have a definate date, but more time can be negociated if seller is willing. Mine gave me time, but then they needed to close, because they were tied to a contract in Florida, which had a 3rd set of rules. I sold 3 homes before this one and it did work out. One was an interstate move, but only from LI to NJ.
My buyers played around and it was differcult to get a closing date from them. I ended up closing here first, which I would try to avoid. My attorney acually told me to leave to get away from these crazies. She said if I left the house empty that they would move faster, it did.They even dragged my realtor at 9pm at night for final walk thru(poor, nice, Honest, lady)
I closed in NJ 2 weeks later. Now, with normal buyers you won't have that problem. Just make sure that you insist on leadway where you are buying.
NJ has some weird real estate rules that can drag on for a month.Even NY's has a limit, 14 days , I think, but could be wrong.
Good Luck with your sale!
Diane

Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,805 times
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Do you sell your house first, or apply for a job first? How the heck can you do it when you don't really have control over these things? Buying a house is a little different. It's ultimately your choice on which house to choose, but the other aspects are just a waiting game.

Then maybe you need to rent temporary hosuing for a while. Then storage, move again... ARGGGG. I'm sure it's much easier in a normal to faster housing market. Now you sit on a house for 10 months... It's hard to make plans that way.

Good luck.

First thing we'ew going to do when ready, is find the location of jobs and then look for housing in the immediate area. Then pull the trigger with the "For Sale" sign... Still overwhelming. I'm not looking forward to it, and we're only moving 1.5 hours away in the same state.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Do you sell your house first, or apply for a job first? How the heck can you do it when you don't really have control over these things? Buying a house is a little different. It's ultimately your choice on which house to choose, but the other aspects are just a waiting game.

Then maybe you need to rent temporary hosuing for a while. Then storage, move again... ARGGGG. I'm sure it's much easier in a normal to faster housing market. Now you sit on a house for 10 months... It's hard to make plans that way.

Good luck.

First thing we'ew going to do when ready, is find the location of jobs and then look for housing in the immediate area. Then pull the trigger with the "For Sale" sign... Still overwhelming. I'm not looking forward to it, and we're only moving 1.5 hours away in the same state.
I'm thinking it's going to be job first, then sell, then buy. The steps can overlap a little, but I absolutely cannot afford two mortgages. Out of curiosity, where are you moving from/to?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Quote:
Do you sell your house first, or apply for a job first? How the heck can you do it when you don't really have control over these things? Buying a house is a little different. It's ultimately your choice on which house to choose, but the other aspects are just a waiting game.
I would do the job search and selling simulataneously. The job search, IMO, would probably go faster, while the selling could drag on for months. If you know you want to move, you may as well put it on the market.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 AM

622 posts, read 3,112,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
I'm thinking it's going to be job first, then sell, then buy. The steps can overlap a little, but I absolutely cannot afford two mortgages. Out of curiosity, where are you moving from/to?

From Clifton to Marlton or anywhere in the area that we may see fit. We need the job location first, to see if we could possibly go more south to newer homes, but I sort of like the security of being in the cherry hill/marlton and surrounding towns' cdntralized location. I see that you're in Cherry Hill. We visited about 10 years ago and loved the area. We love our house, but we want our 2 kids 1 and 5 yo, to have the better school systems I keep hearing about.

Sorry for the partial hijack. I too would like to hear how people managed all three together. For me driving 3-4 hours/day for a commute is no picnic while you're waiting for your house to sell. That's the downside of finding the job first.

Anyway, good luck

Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
From Clifton to Marlton or anywhere in the area that we may see fit. We need the job location first, to see if we could possibly go more south to newer homes, but I sort of like the security of being in the cherry hill/marlton and surrounding towns' cdntralized location. I see that you're in Cherry Hill. We visited about 10 years ago and loved the area. We love our house, but we want our 2 kids 1 and 5 yo, to have the better school systems I keep hearing about.

Sorry for the partial hijack. I too would like to hear how people managed all three together. For me driving 3-4 hours/day for a commute is no picnic while you're waiting for your house to sell. That's the downside of finding the job first.

Anyway, good luck
My friend's husband found a Job here first, then used Temp housing here for a few weeks. The company here offered to relocate them, and accually boght their home in Chicago. This was her 13th move, so a pro at it. Priar to chicago she lived in Northern , NJ
I would put the house on the market(May Take Time) Find Job, and when you get a contract buy.
Marlton is a nice area and it has a Trader Joe's. I used to ride around Marlton and Cherry hill. Also close to Philly.
Diane

Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Anyway, good luck
FUNNY! Clifton was my hometown for 28 years! My wife and I moved here to Cherry Hill three years ago. There are definitely a lot of northerners (NY & NJ) moving down here. We are actually considering creeping back up north a little....maybe to the Princeton area or a little north of there.
Yes, the school system is great here in CH, but expect a nice steady climb on your taxes to support it. That isn't why we are thinking about moving though.... There are many reasons.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My friend's husband found a Job here first, then used Temp housing here for a few weeks. The company here offered to relocate them, and accually boght their home in Chicago. This was her 13th move, so a pro at it. Priar to chicago she lived in Northern , NJ
I would put the house on the market(May Take Time) Find Job, and when you get a contract buy.
Marlton is a nice area and it has a Trader Joe's. I used to ride around Marlton and Cherry hill. Also close to Philly.
Diane
Maybe I'm a little wet behind the ears, but tell me more about temporary housing??....please.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,186 times
Default moving on up

Quote:

Anyway, good luck
Be careful when quitting a job before getting your mortgage. Mortgage companies need 2 years of employment history. My advice is get a contract on your present home, before you sign a contract on a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey