Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM

367 posts, read 960,073 times

Advertisements

As a former rider, let me assure all of you that the biggest dangers motorcyclists face come from the clueless automobile drivers who are oblivious to anything smaller than a canary yellow 18 wheeler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
Many are.
Bet you have no problem starting up your leaf blower or weed whacker at 8am though...........

Old 06-29-2012, 02:27 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
As a former rider, let me assure all of you that the biggest dangers motorcyclists face come from the clueless automobile drivers who are oblivious to anything smaller than a canary yellow 18 wheeler.
That's why you're a former rider?

Sometimes you'll see a 20 yr. old crotch rocketeer in flip-flops, shorts & a guinea tee doing wheelies down the parkway in broad daylight or weaving in & out like the cops are chasing him. And you know you might see a horrible wreck coming in the next few miles as you'll slowly pass by in your metal & glass protected vehicle and wonder why any idiot would drive like that on NJ's crowded roads.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Bet you have no problem starting up your leaf blower or weed whacker at 8am though...........
I hate them worse than motorcycles. At least the bikes fly on down the road and are gone. Leaf blowers should be outlawed. Use a rake like we did.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
I've been riding motorcycles for almost thirty years, logged well over 200,000 miles, rode to just about every state in the country. Are they dangerous? Yes. But there are just some people that should not ride them. They buy motorcycles for the wrong reasons and think they are toys. They are not, and they should be ridden with respect.

Here's some advice for anyone considering taking up motorcycling: a) enroll in a motorcycle safety riding class; b) always, always, always, ride like you are invisible, because many times, you are invisible to other drivers; c) don't ride like an idiot, stay within your limits.

I love riding motorcycles simply because they are much more enjoyable then being in a car, has nothing to do with me thinking I'm a bad ass, or have lost youth issues. Motorcycles are simply more fun. It's the difference from being a spectator or a participant. Driving a car is a mindless exercise where you don't experience anything about your journey. Motorcycles are completely different, you are part of your environment. You smell every odor, you experience the temperature change when you ride into a valley, you are aware of every bump or obstacle in the road, you feel very insignificant when you approach an impending storm on the horizon, you are actively part of every aspect of your ride.

I can honestly say, not much has given me more pleasure over the years than riding. So for me, that overrides the danger factor. I try to minimize my risk, like I said, I ride like I'm invisible, for example, I never take for granted that when my light turns green that someone won't blow through their red light, I always check to see that everyone is stopped before I proceed. I also spent a few years on the race track honing my riding skills. Nothing will make you a better rider than getting on a track and pushing yourself to the limit. I've learned how to maneuver out of trouble at very high speeds, which has helped me in situations on the highway.

Motorcycling is not for everyone, it takes skill and focus 100% of the time you are in that seat. These days I fear two things, deer is one of them. They are just too unpredictable. The other is people texting. I've noticed over the past couple years that more and more people are crossing the center line while drivin with their heads facing down in their laps.

If I was a cop, I'd spend my entire day looking for these people and getting them off the road. And penalties for killing someone in an accident should be more severe. If you can't drive a car without taking someone's life, you should never be able to drive again, permanent license suspension. Accidents aren't just random occurrences, they happen because people suck at driving.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
What's amazing to me is that whenever a motorcycle MVA is announced on a public forum, enthusiasts always point the finger elsewhere - that the rider can never ever be at fault.

Yet in at least of the three MVAs that involved fatalities in the last month or so, there was a degree of rider error.

I'm not saying that riders are always at fault - but it seems that there's a groupthink that if the other drivers are safe, then the motorcycle will be safe as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
NHTSA

Findings based on two-vehicle motorcycle
crash trend (2001-2005)
data:

•Among fatal motorcycle crashes, nearly 55 percent of the crashes were multi-vehicle crashes -- crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle (one or more).

•Of the motorcycle rider fatalities from multi-vehicle crashes about 90 percent were from two-vehicle crashes, involving a motorcycle and another vehicle.

•An overwhelming majority (more than 85%) of the motorcycle riders killed in two vehicle crashes were crashes involving passenger vehicles.

•Among the fatalities in two-vehicle crashes involving motorcycles and passenger vehicles, 90 percent were operators of motorcycles, 8 percent were the passengers of motorcycles and the remaining 2 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
NHTSA

crash trend (2001-2005)
data:

•Among fatal motorcycle crashes, nearly 55 percent of the crashes were multi-vehicle crashes -- crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle (one or more).

•Of the motorcycle rider fatalities from multi-vehicle crashes about 90 percent were from two-vehicle crashes, involving a motorcycle and another vehicle.

•An overwhelming majority (more than 85%) of the motorcycle riders killed in two vehicle crashes were crashes involving passenger vehicles.

•Among the fatalities in two-vehicle crashes involving motorcycles and passenger vehicles, 90 percent were operators of motorcycles, 8 percent were the passengers of motorcycles and the remaining 2 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles.
I'm talking fault. Not outcome.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
NHTSA

crash trend (2001-2005)
data:

None of this should be surprising, right? Nothing about who is at fault... but simple physics at work says that a car and a motorcycle colliding is very very bad for the motorcycle.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Accidents can be either one's fault, but a biker who is weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating a car, or riding up between cars in their very own imaginary lane--we see this way too often, if they are going to ride like idiots and do those things, an accident isn't likely to be the fault of the driver of a car.

And when the REALLY LOUD BIKES come up out of nowhere...I truly WANT them to be crushed like bugs. There's no reason for that sort of racket with today's technology other than to annoy and garner negative attention. Grow up, for god's sake. Just so you don't think I'm picking on bikers, I feel the same way about people who play their car radios at excessive volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: