Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times

Advertisements

PROLOGUE: The questions I'm asking are general questions and are not designed to call into question the people who have died in the last week. My condolences to their families.

There's been a rash of motorcycle fatalities in the last week, and of course it's led to the APP asking, "are motorcycles safe?"

And there will always be a ton of people that come out and say, "Yes! Motorcycles are safe!"

But here's the logistical problem:

We live in a world with idiots. Idiots with driver's licenses. And you have a much better chance walking away from an accident in a car then an accident with a motorcycle. So by that logic, how can anyone say that a motorcycle is safe?

Yes, it's safe if you're properly trained, you're on a straight-line road with no curbs or impaling objects, and there's no other cars. But the world doesn't work that way.

Full disclosure: I wanted to try a motorcycle when I was younger. Ideas and thoughts like that changed when I had a kid. So I just don't understand the "biker mentality" of getting on a motorcycle. It seems that you're almost trying to poke death with a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I just wish they'd figure out how to make them less loud.

It's one sign of spring/summer I hate--that godawful sound of a bunch of motorcycles infesting the roads. Fortunately, the novelty seems to wear off quickly and they put them back into the garage.

And yes, OP, they are dangerous. As you point out, anyone can have an accident but head injuries, missing limbs, and death seem more likely on a bike.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I just wish they'd figure out how to make them less loud.

It's one sign of spring/summer I hate--that godawful sound of a bunch of motorcycles infesting the roads. Fortunately, the novelty seems to wear off quickly and they put them back into the garage.

And yes, OP, they are dangerous. As you point out, anyone can have an accident but head injuries, missing limbs, and death seem more likely on a bike.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Organ donors on wheels. At least some kidneys, lungs and livers will go to some needy people this summer.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
with all the idiots who text and drive these days, i dont know how these fools get on a bike

Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Most accidents happen when the idiot drivers cut in front of them in their typical clueless haze.

Quote:
So I just don't understand the "biker mentality" of getting on a motorcycle
Then don't. I never saw the sense of having kids so I didn't. That didn't stop you.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
I think some people like motorcycles as a symbol of youth rebelllion...they may feel like a real bad boy/girl like back in high school. I guess that is part of the attraction. The other part is the thrill of doing something dangerous; they like the feel of going 35mph and feel like its 70mph. I do see the attraction to it, though, I am more driven by my head. Hence, I never even rode one and never will! Life is just too precious.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Most accidents happen when the idiot drivers cut in front of them in their typical clueless haze.
Motorcycles can be hard to see, especially in traffic.

There are just as many knuckleheads on crotch rockets, wearing sandals & shorts and weaving in and out of traffic as there are drivers doing the same.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Had an ex-boyfriend with a bike and I would never get on it with him - it was one of those Ninja speed death machines. The only time I have ever ridden was with friends who mostly had those low rider Harleys (with the back rest - very comfy) through parks (like Van Saun or scenic back roads) and never on highways or busy roads. I just felt way too vulnerable if there were cars around me. It's a nice, free feeling but not worth the risk with other drivers around IMO.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
And there will always be a ton of people that come out and say, "Yes! Motorcycles are safe!"
Define safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: