Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought a new car in 7 years, last time was a nightmarish experience in Queens, NY (don't ever shop at Paragon Honda). Hoping to avoid the same problem this time around. Looking to buy a Ford, or a used car so any recommendation in Union county or nearby will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

28 posts, read 91,807 times
Planet Honda...But make sure not to fall into trap as they try to sell you lot of warranties and some other junk..After all, all dealers are same

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I am not sure if there is a such a thing as a good car dealership.
I agree Paragon Honda sales is horrible but I have seen worse.... much worse.

Sorry I can't be of help but I have yet to meet a car dealer I would recommend.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
If you are looking for used you need to get a really good feel for the price of the vehicle you are looking to buy. Know what he bluebook value is. Know what similar vehicles are going for. Look at 3-4-5 different places to get an idea of their stock and asking prices. Check through craigslist all over the state. Then, find a place selling the vehicle you want for near the price you want.

Personally, I would never buy a new car again. It looses too much value too quickly so its really not worth the money they ask for it. You can get VERY good cars that are only 2-4 years old for MUCH MUCH less than a new car and be just as reliable. The money you save will easily pay for minor blemishes and or repairs.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
C8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
If you are looking for used you need to get a really good feel for the price of the vehicle you are looking to buy. Know what he bluebook value is. Know what similar vehicles are going for. Look at 3-4-5 different places to get an idea of their stock and asking prices. Check through craigslist all over the state. Then, find a place selling the vehicle you want for near the price you want.

Personally, I would never buy a new car again. It looses too much value too quickly so its really not worth the money they ask for it. You can get VERY good cars that are only 2-4 years old for MUCH MUCH less than a new car and be just as reliable. The money you save will easily pay for minor blemishes and or repairs.
I would agree on most parts of what you have said but the only problem I have with buying used cars is that you really don't know what that car has been through. Car Fax is not 100% accurate. These days, the body shops and mechanics do such a good job in repairing, the untrained eye will be not be able to detect any abnormalities in the vehicle. Now the problem is not much about whether or not the car will last but will become an issue when you trade-in or sell that car at a later point. If they detect any repair on the frame of the car, that really drives down the value of the car. Now, if you drive that car until it dies, no problem there. But like I said, it will become an issue when you trade in or sell that car.

My suggestion would be to thoroughly inspect that used car with a professional before making that purchase.

Buying a new car is more of a peace of mind for me and I am not sure if you can put a dollar amount to that.

Last edited by C8N; 07-12-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Car Fax is not 100% accurate.
Buying a new car is more of a peace of mind for me and I am not sure if you can put a dollar amount to that.

In reality, Car Fax is not even 50% accurate!
Between the vital information that is omitted in so many cases, and the information that is incorrect in some other cases, I think that anyone relying on Car Fax is...foolish.

However, I do agree with you about buying new, as opposed to buying a used car. I don't want a car that has been poorly-maintained, and in many cases with used cars, you have no way of knowing how well (or how poorly) the car was maintained by the previous owner(s). Additionally, you have no way of knowing how many times they may have jammed the tires into a curb, or how often they actually checked the oil, or whether they wailed the hell out of the engine prior to warm-up, or...

Yes, I will pay more for a pristine, new car, but at least I know that my maintenance habits and my driving style will be the only ones to affect the longevity of the car.

In a similar vein, you might be able to find a good, faithful, disease-fee wife at a house of ill repute.
However, your odds of finding a good, faithful, disease-free wife will be much better if you avoid places like that when searching for your bride.
The used car market is at least somewhat analogous to a house of ill repute, IMHO.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In a similar vein, you might be able to find a good, faithful, disease-fee wife at a house of ill repute.
However, your odds of finding a good, faithful, disease-free wife will be much better if you avoid places like that when searching for your bride.
The used car market is at least somewhat analogous to a house of ill repute, IMHO.

It wont let me rep you again so... +1

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In reality, Car Fax is not even 50% accurate!
Between the vital information that is omitted in so many cases, and the information that is incorrect in some other cases, I think that anyone relying on Car Fax is...foolish.

However, I do agree with you about buying new, as opposed to buying a used car. I don't want a car that has been poorly-maintained, and in many cases with used cars, you have no way of knowing how well (or how poorly) the car was maintained by the previous owner(s). Additionally, you have no way of knowing how many times they may have jammed the tires into a curb, or how often they actually checked the oil, or whether they wailed the hell out of the engine prior to warm-up, or...

Yes, I will pay more for a pristine, new car, but at least I know that my maintenance habits and my driving style will be the only ones to affect the longevity of the car.

I dont think I will ever purchase a new car. A $25,000 car loses half its value after 3-4 years and 45k miles. I like to be the guy who buys it at that point. You still get what is going to be a very reliable car for 8-10 years to come.

Cars are just generally more well made nowadays then they used to be.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
That is true.
However, lax maintenance will take its inevitable toll of any car, no matter how well it was made.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM
C8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont think I will ever purchase a new car. A $25,000 car loses half its value after 3-4 years and 45k miles. I like to be the guy who buys it at that point. You still get what is going to be a very reliable car for 8-10 years to come.

I think you also have to take into consideration how that 3-4yr old car got on the used car lot.
Was it a lease or a trade in? My guess is that it's most likely a leased car that was turned in.

Most people I know that leases, does not know the definition of maintenance or care to know. They will do the minimum as long as the car runs. It's basically a rental car... why would you care?
I have a friend who leased a porsche cayenne and this car requires 91 octane gas.
Guess what he puts? You got it... its running on octane 89!

You can argue about how this affects the car but I certainly would not want to buy this car.

Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: