Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times

Advertisements

What's it to you anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
I guess I'm desensitized because I grew up in NJ, but I always found the northeastern part where I lived a nice place, with many things, the proximity to the city (NY) was great, but didn't have the craziness of the city. Areas around Paramus, Hackensack, route 4, always seemed fine to me, and very diverse also. I don't know what people's problems is with the meadowlands or some factories in the Newark area, big deal, it's a bit of industry.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times
New Jersey has had a "bad" reputation way before jersey shore. You can argue the show was set there because of the reputation.

It's always had the new york's punching bag/industrial wasteland/mafia stigma. It's probably a reflection of the power of the new york media.

It's the same thing for staten island which doesn't have a glowing image thanks to other new yorkers.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Has our State's reputation really been hit so badly by one stupid show (Jersey shore)? Though I much rather have our reputation shaped by The Sopranos (awesome series) than by that show

What else has added to this inaccurate reputation of our state? Most people I guess use the turnpike and watch an episode of Jersey shore and make up their mind....

What reputation would you want other people to have of NJ? What you think is the most accurate way people can look at NJ? Though an insider, I see NJ as a down to earth place, very diverse, very connected to the world via 2 large cities, and the list goes on.
You are correct with everything you said about the state, except the impact of the Jersey Shore Show. The show brought out in reality what is happenning there with the young people, especially on the weekends. The young people get wasted with alcohol and drugs at the beach bars, and the show brought out that reality into focus.

Recently, citizens voted to have the bars closed at 12a instead of 2a because of what is going on, but, after being passed it was taken back. I had difficulty understanding the uproar of the people when the show first aired......all they have to do is visit Belmar, Point Pleasant, and Wildwood beaches, and they get the picture.

Aside from this, it is an awesome state to live in, if they can clean up the beaches, and get rid of some of the ghettos.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You are correct with everything you said about the state, except the impact of the Jersey Shore Show. The show brought out in reality what is happenning there with the young people, especially on the weekends. The young people get wasted with alcohol and drugs at the beach bars, and the show brought out that reality into focus.

Recently, citizens voted to have the bars closed at 12a instead of 2a because of what is going on, but, after being passed it was taken back.
That's "shore", not "Jersey" specifically. If you have a shore town which young people go to, they drink, do drugs, and get rowdy. If you crack down on all that, you get rid of the young people -- and for some reason they take their money with them.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's "shore", not "Jersey" specifically. If you have a shore town which young people go to, they drink, do drugs, and get rowdy. If you crack down on all that, you get rid of the young people -- and for some reason they take their money with them.
Exactly!
I can recall being in Nashua, New Hampshire (which is a lake resort town), and being extremely annoyed at the "anything goes" attitude of many of the local motel owners and bar owners toward rowdy behavior.

Last edited by Retriever; 06-30-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
and yet many in the nj suburbs of philly subforum complain that south jersey is too quiet and undeveloped
Try again. There's 2 threads & one was started by someone from elsewhere.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
South Jersey pinelands had the reputation for a gangland and mafia burial ground.

Perth amboy was mentioned in a couple of popular war movies and it was a source of pride, not shame. "Walk in the Sun" was one of those movies.

Everyone referred to their buds in slang terms according to their ethnic background Italian, Polish, hungarian, slovak or Irish, German...no one was offended, every one was a pal. Social justice linked to federal grants grew a wedge between some groups.

Towns began to go downhill in the 60s with places like Newark and Perth Amboy losing their reputations.
You could go to an out of the way motel in maine and find bathroom fixtures that were made in Newark, NJ. That area had every sort of manufacturer you could think of.

Chickens used to be a million dollar business down south as well when rt 9 and county roads were the main north south route. It was hard to understand the spoken word in south J as it was a bit mumbley and drawlish. Forked river was considerd North J by someone from New Gretna.

As I've mention before, a 1940 college geography book from U of Deleware describes south J as the most destitute place in the US and it would be rare to see paint or carpeting in any of the homes.

South J was the ultimate retirement destination for many blue collar workers. The world of NJ was a fine place. Politics played very little part in the daily lives because the population was so small and the taxes weren't large enough to attract bottom feeding career politicians. Hard to tell a Dem from A Rep, both kept office by doing favors for constituents. A naive quid pro quo. With the increased mix of politics and money from an influx of new taxpayers from NY, things began to change.

With access to the hinterlands by interstates in 1956 as well as the outerbridge and verazano narrows bridge, NJ began to fill up with NY transplants. Industries and corporate headquarters moved from the cities to escape crumbling infrastructure and crime and take advantage of low taxes. Merck, J&J had world headquarters. Nj was the medicine chest of the country.

The media presence and political nonsense spread far and fast as politics had morphed into careers and accompanying wealth from legal and illegal means. Grace chemical company had a stream that flowed through its property to the Raritan that had an acrid odor and seemed topreclude living things along its banks. Melted hunks of plastic littered the land that became the exit and entrance ramps to the new 287. Hatco and Hayden did whay they did in the swamp land of Raritan Bay. Carburundum stretched from Keasbey into the river. these factories supported a lot of families and guys had retired form these places as they began to fade in light of the birth of the word, 'environment', environmentalist'.

NJ is a fine place to live and a literal treasure chest of cash that attracts all the slime dog bottom feeders who use many defined segments of the population as stepping stones to futher their egos and bank accounts. And the world watches.....

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I honestly don't care.
Neither do I. If people want to have inaccurate perceptions of NJ, that's their prerogative. Maybe it makes them feel better about where they live.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Are there places in NJ that stink? Of course.
Do we contain the 'not-the-best' cities in our borders? Sure.
Are we home to more reality shows than at any point in our history? Believe it.

With that said. It's retarded when people take those things are paint our ENTIRE state with them (and preach conclusions).

No, our rep (albeit improving) isn't deserved. Why? Well, listen to the gripes and pick them apart. Many folks land at Newark airport, smell the brewery and the Linden Co plant and suddenly, the entire state of NJ 'smells'. As if somehow these same industrial zones smell 'good' in other states.

Where we lack is presentation. We as NJ residents know what's here, but taking what I said above why should we expect them to gripe at their first impressions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey