Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
There's only one solution for our state of New Jersey: It must be destroyed! Jersey Shore is a totally accurate depiction of New Jersey. Intelligent, science loving people are few and far between here. This state is filled with ignorant Snooki's and Mikey D's who have no idea they are walking Jersey Shore cliches. Totally bleeping clueless animals.
WTF
have you ever lived in the south or any of the stupid northern forgotten states like oregon, idaho etc, that got like 5 intelligent people? NJ is like rocket scientists compared to average America.
And specifically towards your statement, according to several sources: New Jersey is home to more scientists and engineers per square mile than anywhere else in the world
New Jersey State Society - New Jersey Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
My NY family has always thought NJ wasn't a good place to live even before Jersey Shore came out. So I'm not sure where you get that from. My dad (originally from CT) told me when I was 16 that he never wanted me to live there. I was looking at colleges in Jersey at the time.

I don't really have a problem with NJ, but a lot of people think it's just dirty and filled with crime.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,621 times
I love New Jersey. I really don't know why but it keeps me coming back.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM

402 posts, read 752,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
WTF
have you ever lived in the south or any of the stupid northern forgotten states like oregon, idaho etc, that got like 5 intelligent people? NJ is like rocket scientists compared to average America.
And specifically towards your statement, according to several sources: New Jersey is home to more scientists and engineers per square mile than anywhere else in the world
I thought he was being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
He was actually quite serious. LOL.

Wait...I don't know about the first thing he said..

Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
never know, he betta be lol

Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Has our State's reputation really been hit so badly by one stupid show (Jersey shore)? Though I much rather have our reputation shaped by The Sopranos (awesome series) than by that show

What else has added to this inaccurate reputation of our state? Most people I guess use the turnpike and watch an episode of Jersey shore and make up their mind....

What reputation would you want other people to have of NJ? What you think is the most accurate way people can look at NJ? Though an insider, I see NJ as a down to earth place, very diverse, very connected to the world via 2 large cities, and the list goes on.

luckily i had a roommate in college and still very good friend to this day who grew up in Oakhurst, NJ (right near Monmouth U inf act) and said that the people on those shows aren't actually from Jersey. Basically they're new yorkers who come down every summer and ruin the state. I dated an Italian girl about 5 years ago who was from west orange, nj and she was nothing like the characters on "real housewives". she did have a little bit of an anger issue but only towards little kids crying in restaurants haha.

i teach in south carolina and have had some new jersey transplants in my school all of which are beyond normal acting human beings who say that what you see on TV is not Jersey.

However, every kid i've had in class who moved down here from Long Island has been out of their freaking minds. Most are either doped up or just born high.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
WTF
I don't get out much. Maybe it's the cabin fever talking.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
My NY family has always thought NJ wasn't a good place to live even before Jersey Shore came out. So I'm not sure where you get that from. My dad (originally from CT) told me when I was 16 that he never wanted me to live there. I was looking at colleges in Jersey at the time.

I don't really have a problem with NJ, but a lot of people think it's just dirty and filled with crime.
I find that hilarious. Especially for the New Yorkers who grew up in the city in the 60s and 70s. I had family that lived in Queens back then and when I'd sleep over you couldn't get more than an hour or two of sleep with all of the police/fire sirens going off. It was like a war zone.

And half of Staten Island has moved to Monmouth/Ocean Counties so I guess some NY'ers like Jersey.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I find that hilarious. Especially for the New Yorkers who grew up in the city in the 60s and 70s. I had family that lived in Queens back then and when I'd sleep over you couldn't get more than an hour or two of sleep with all of the police/fire sirens going off. It was like a war zone.

And half of Staten Island has moved to Monmouth/Ocean Counties so I guess some NY'ers like Jersey.
Staten Island is pretty much in Jersey lol. That's why.

What's even more funny is the same family members of mine who hate on Jersey go to Ocean City, NJ every summer for vacation.

Typical NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey