Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM

14 posts, read 54,943 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan a trip to meet a friend for the day in Philadelphia (it's a Friday), and I saw that there's a train from Princeton Junction to 30th St. and it's only 40 minutes. So my question is - where does one park at (or near) the Princeton Junction station? I live in Montgomery - I looked into the bus and it was an HOUR AND A HALF to the train station. Has anyone ever taken a taxi to the station? Or know how much it would cost (I'm right off River on the Mercer/Somerset county line)? Or is there another bus that I don't know about (fingers crossed)? I don't know anyone in the area so I can't get a ride from anyone, and the DH will be at work by the time I want to leave.

I saw that there's a shuttle in Princeton to the Dinky: Princeton Borough - Official Website of The Borough of Princeton, New Jersey

Is there a place to park on/near to that route? I know that's kind of roundabout, but anything's better than an hour and a half bus ride to go 8 miles.

I'm puzzled as to how to make this an easy trip - seems like it should be simple enough, PHL is close and the train appears to go directly there for only $20 (although I could be wrong, this is confusing), but the logistics of getting from my house to the train station are proving difficult.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
There is no direct train from Princeton JCT , you have to switch in Trenton and take Septa's Trenton line to Philly which is 50 mins by Local and 30 mins on an Express. If you live in PA , why not go to West Trenton or Yardley Station and take the West Trenton line into Philly. Both stations along the West Trenton line have plently of parking and trains every 30-45 mins...

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There is no direct train from Princeton JCT , you have to switch in Trenton and take Septa's Trenton line to Philly which is 50 mins by Local and 30 mins on an Express. If you live in PA , why not go to West Trenton or Yardley Station and take the West Trenton line into Philly. Both stations along the West Trenton line have plently of parking and trains every 30-45 mins...
I live in Princeton - are you sure there's no direct train from Princeton JCT? The Amtrak website let me plan a trip. I went into this assuming I'd have to do what you just said - transfer in Trenton - but the Amtrak site isn't showing that. I tried to attach a screen cap of the itinerary but for some reason I'm having a hard time uploading the image right now. The options are "Northeast Regional" and "Keystone Service" and both say they leave from PJC and arrive at PHL and the trip is 37 minutes and $20. Is the Amtrak station separate from the Princeton Junction station and I'm just not reading it properly? I've never used the public transportation here before - I'm used to DC/MD, but definitely not NJ. The Princeton University website refers to it as well - about how you can get on the train in PHL and it goes directly to Princeton JCT (and then take the Dinky into Princeton).

I'm hoping that it does do what it says - that would be nice not to have to transfer. Still doesn't completely solve the problem of getting to the train station, though. Which I'm thinking is probably going to have to be a taxi, which is probably going to cost 1 arm and part of a leg.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM

92 posts, read 342,836 times
Depending on what time you want to leave, there are parking spaces that open up after 10am at the station. Before 10am is pretty much impossible.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl76 View Post
Depending on what time you want to leave, there are parking spaces that open up after 10am at the station. Before 10am is pretty much impossible.
Really? That's good to know! I figured the lot would just be completely full all day - I don't mind leaving after 10am if that means I can find a parking spot. I think I need to do a dry run tomorrow around 10am just to see the situation. Thanks!

Not that it matters or changes anything for my trip, but I don't understand why there aren't more buses to the train station - if the parking is so terrible, I wonder why they don't encourage people to just take buses in from the suburbs instead of parking?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMae View Post
I live in Princeton - are you sure there's no direct train from Princeton JCT? The Amtrak website let me plan a trip. I went into this assuming I'd have to do what you just said - transfer in Trenton - but the Amtrak site isn't showing that. I tried to attach a screen cap of the itinerary but for some reason I'm having a hard time uploading the image right now. The options are "Northeast Regional" and "Keystone Service" and both say they leave from PJC and arrive at PHL and the trip is 37 minutes and $20. Is the Amtrak station separate from the Princeton Junction station and I'm just not reading it properly? I've never used the public transportation here before - I'm used to DC/MD, but definitely not NJ. The Princeton University website refers to it as well - about how you can get on the train in PHL and it goes directly to Princeton JCT (and then take the Dinky into Princeton).

I'm hoping that it does do what it says - that would be nice not to have to transfer. Still doesn't completely solve the problem of getting to the train station, though. Which I'm thinking is probably going to have to be a taxi, which is probably going to cost 1 arm and part of a leg.
You don't need to pay Amtrak's prices to go to Philly or put up with their limited timetables which catered to those who travel long distances. As for Switching , the trains in Trenton are setup so its right across the Platform you don't even have to go upstairs. Trains PJCT every 20-35 mins to Trenton and same to Philly. Only use Amtrak if your going far away like Wilmington or Harrisburg or Boston or New Haven etc , its not really useful for short distances... Your Fare to Philly with the NJT and Septa combo should only cost 12$ one way and take 70 mins if you get the local... Ive never used the Dinky , I do know the lot fills up fast and sometimes overflows. There are plans to replace the Dinky with a streetcar and thread it through Princeton and surrounding communities to reduce the amount who drive down to park...

Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM

92 posts, read 342,836 times
Just look for the Rideshare spots. I have no problems at 10am, but not sure how quickly they fill up. I use the lot off of Wallace Rd (by the electrical substation).

West Windsor Parking Authority - Parking Info
Rideshare
Commuters who car pool to the Princeton Junction Train station on a regular basis may be eligible for a Rideshare permit. You must have at least 2 occupants in the vehicle every time you arrive at the lot. The wait is shorter and it does not jeopardize your position on the wait list for a permit of your own. The designated Rideshare permit parking area is located in the Wallace Road daily parking lot on the New York bound side of the tracks. Rideshare permit holders are assigned a specific numbered parking space within the Rideshare permit parking area. The designated Rideshare spaces will be reserved for the exclusive use of Rideshare permit holders from 6:00 AM – 10:00 AM on business days. After 10:00 AM unused Rideshare spaces are open to the public for daily parking.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl76 View Post
Just look for the Rideshare spots. I have no problems at 10am, but not sure how quickly they fill up. I use the lot off of Wallace Rd (by the electrical substation).

West Windsor Parking Authority - Parking Info
Rideshare
Commuters who car pool to the Princeton Junction Train station on a regular basis may be eligible for a Rideshare permit. You must have at least 2 occupants in the vehicle every time you arrive at the lot. The wait is shorter and it does not jeopardize your position on the wait list for a permit of your own. The designated Rideshare permit parking area is located in the Wallace Road daily parking lot on the New York bound side of the tracks. Rideshare permit holders are assigned a specific numbered parking space within the Rideshare permit parking area. The designated Rideshare spaces will be reserved for the exclusive use of Rideshare permit holders from 6:00 AM – 10:00 AM on business days. After 10:00 AM unused Rideshare spaces are open to the public for daily parking.
Thank you for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey