U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,966,399 times

Advertisements

Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite possibly the most terrifying theme park ever created. Wish it was still around as a novelty.

Action Park Commercial - YouTube

1986 Action Park Commercial Vernon New Jersey - YouTube

Action Park Vernon, New Jersey 1988 TV Commercial - YouTube

1994 Action Park Commercial - YouTube

Even the commercials make it look dangerous

Anybody care to share the memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM

174 posts, read 185,220 times
Ahhh Class-Action Park the place where my Uncle broke his nose on the "Cannonball Slide", this place was a disaster. I was surprised it lasted nearly 20 years before going bankrupt from all the law suits. I personally never went on any of the rides there besides the Tidal Pool because my mother was too concerned for my safety.

I would love to hear some of the members stories about this place.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,966,399 times
Wow! So the injuries are more common than I thought!

I went in 1996 for my 9th birthday. My parents were all about it and they actually heard from friends that it was supposedly underrated. I have a vague memory of some guy jumping off of one of the cliffs into a body of water and getting rescued by a lifeguard almost immediately because he couldn't swim. Other than that, we had a good time, I think.

Kind of funny how when we arrived in the morning there was this asian family eating spaghetti from tupperware in the parking lot.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,557,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Wow! So the injuries are more common than I thought!

I went in 1996 for my 9th birthday. My parents were all about it and they actually heard from friends that it was supposedly underrated. I have a vague memory of some guy jumping off of one of the cliffs into a body of water and getting rescued by a lifeguard almost immediately because he couldn't swim. Other than that, we had a good time, I think.

Kind of funny how when we arrived in the morning there was this asian family eating spaghetti from tupperware in the parking lot.
You're a youngun. The park closed in 1996, so you must've made it just before it closed. While still way more dangerous that any amusement park that exists today, Action Park was softened up considerably by then (thanks at least in part to the tons of lawsuits, I'm sure). It was at its full, terrifying, life-threatening peak when they opened in the late 70s and the early 80s.

I went a few times as a kid in the early 80s. I didn't lose any limbs, but I almost launched into space going down one of the water slides and the wave pool sure gave me a run for my money.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,060,126 times
When I was around 10-12 years old, I did the "sling shot" at action park. I wasn't sitting upright when the guy buckled me in, so after he left, I sat more upright and noticed the straps were very loose. I yelled, but he didn't listen, and off we went!

My neck and back were so sore for about two weeks after. I couldn't turn my head or bend over at all. I think I left the park soon after because I was in such pain.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,557,920 times
BTW, wasn't there someone who started a post here a few years ago about Action Park who was planning a documentary about the park? Does anyone know what ever happened with that?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,078,684 times
They used to pull half-dead people from the wave pool all the time. A lot of inner-city folk who would drown in their own bath tub would try it out.

I went on the alpine slide and all of the water rides. I don't remember the loop de loop water slide because this brain fart only lasted a few weeks:

Cannonball Loop: World’s Most Dangerous Waterslide

Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,060,126 times
I also remember getting pushed around everywhere I went. Groups would walk 5, 6, 7 people wide and if I was walking next to my friend, I'd get pushed aside, sometime hard. I liked to call it "Ghetto" Park.

Is Vernon Valley still running there?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,713,454 times
Nope, but I remember Palisades Amusement Park.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,374,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
When I was around 10-12 years old, I did the "sling shot" at action park. I wasn't sitting upright when the guy buckled me in, so after he left, I sat more upright and noticed the straps were very loose. I yelled, but he didn't listen, and off we went!

My neck and back were so sore for about two weeks after. I couldn't turn my head or bend over at all. I think I left the park soon after because I was in such pain.
Quote from Wiki -
  • Sling Shot: A bungee cord ride in which two riders sat in a seat and were strapped in while the ride was shot up in the air and supported by a bungee cord. Riders looped upside down. There are a few similar rides still standing in a handful of major amusement parks, the most common name being the Slingshot found at many Six Flags parks, but they are upcharge attractions (an additional charge to admission) due to insurance issues. At Action Park, the extra fee was only $5. This particular ride was open from 1993 to 1995. "We often wondered how many whiplash cases came out of that ride", one former employee recalled.[4]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey