Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If you're talking on Rt 22 (by Washington or Warrenville Rd) then yes, Texas Weiners
No that's not the Texas weiners I am talking about. The one on Washington Ave and rt. 22 is OK but not as good as the one on North Ave in Dunellen.

Jimmy Buffs serves Italian hot dogs a totally different variety of hot dog.
Cooked in grease with greasy home fries and peppers and onions and then jammed into pizza bread. It's the kind of dog that you can taste all day long.
They taste great but one is enough.

E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
No that's not the Texas weiners I am talking about. The one on Washington Ave and rt. 22 is OK but not as good as the one on North Ave in Dunellen.

Jimmy Buffs serves Italian hot dogs a totally different variety of hot dog.
Cooked in grease with greasy home fries and peppers and onions and then jammed into pizza bread. It's the kind of dog that you can taste all day long.
They taste great but one is enough.

E
I was reading the web site, they actually serve a chili dog.

Jimmy Buff's is the only type of dog I like. The fact that you taste it for the day is the "charm"

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,998 times
I'll always be a Rutt's Hutt girl : )

Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Hello, my friends (and adversaries) from the Garden State! While driving home from doing my Hackettstown Photo Tour earlier this year I had the pleasure of passing through Buttzville, where I saw a place called "Hot Dog Johnny's." It looked like a really neat place, but I was in a hurry to beat the Stroudsburg gridlock to get home at a decent time and didn't have time to stop. I have since seen people around here sporting t-shirts from this restaurant, which indicates it is quite popular.

Would it be worth the hour's drive from Scranton, PA to stuff my face with one of their hot dogs, or are they just overhyped? I'd like to do a photo tour of Buttzville, since it seemed like a sleepy cozy hamlet amid the rest of the Northern New Jersey rat-race, and if you all give it positive reviews, I'll stop there for lunch.

Scranton has its own legendary hot-spot known as "Coney Island" for Texas weiners. I've had them before, and I like them quite a bit. Since there are a lot of people who spend time in both NEPA and NNJ on this forum, has anyone been to both Coney Island and Hot Dog Johnny's? How do they compare?

Being from Scranton, I can say that Hot Dog Johnny's blows away any hot dog I've ever had....especially anything in Scranton. I've driven the hour to Buttzville for HDJ, I would never drive an hour for any hot dog in Scranton. There's nothing like Johnny's dogs with pickles and mustard, fries, and a frosted mug of birch beer. Its hot dog heaven.

Abe's in Wilkes-Barre ( on S. Main) is the best in NEPA by far, but still not close to HDJ.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If you're talking on Rt 22 (by Washington or Warrenville Rd) then yes, Texas Weiners.

No one makes a better dog then Jimmy Buff's. I was raised eating Jimmy Buff's when they were in North Plainfield (it's now Dunkin Donuts) and make it a point to stop at their place by Bowcraft when I drive up. I've been trying to convince them to open a place down here (Burlington County) but they laugh.

Jimmy Buff's
Amen ROSELVR!! Jimmy Buff's are in the pantheon of hot dogs. I've been to Hot Dog Johnny's as well. Honestly, I think HDJ gets it reputation more from its bucolic scenery, where many urban weary New Jerseyans feel as though they are in the country. There is an element of romanticism eating there, but the hot dogs don't quite measure up. If you want the best go to 1) Jimmy Buff's 2) Libby's Lunch in Paterson 3) Hiram's in Fort Lee. These are the best of the best. I'd drive from Scranton to Jimmy Buff's about 50 miles further, than I would for Hot Dog Johnnys.

Jimmy Buff's Italian Dog:

Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Location: Denville, NJ since 1962 except for 4 yrs when I got married
2 posts, read 13,656 times
Hot Dog Johnnys is a MUST at least twice a year. I travel approx 45 minutes. Makes for a nice cruise on the bikes or in the Nomad. I take my kids first to the Peaquest Trout Hatchery about 5 minutes down the road for the nickel tour and to feed the lunkers. Then we head to Hot Dog Johnnys for a couple of Dawgs & Birch Beer - haven't tried the Buttermilk yet, just doesn't seem like something to drink after eating a hot dog with a big pickle on it! One of these days! Then we head up and hike along the Delaware for a while and hit Island Dragway on the way home!! A truly classic day! Hot Dog Johnnys is a true classic American institution!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Location: Denville, NJ since 1962 except for 4 yrs when I got married
2 posts, read 13,656 times
Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dogs are in a category by themselves! Much like Hot Dog Johnnys' once you start thinking of one,it isn't whether you're going to go get one, it's a matter of how soon you can get there. I can feel the grease running down my arms just thinking about it! There's a new one in Hanover off of rt.#10, I think I know where I'm going for lunch over the week-end!
Bon Appetite!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM

70 posts, read 272,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Amen ROSELVR!! Jimmy Buff's are in the pantheon of hot dogs. I've been to Hot Dog Johnny's as well. Honestly, I think HDJ gets it reputation more from its bucolic scenery, where many urban weary New Jerseyans feel as though they are in the country. There is an element of romanticism eating there, but the hot dogs don't quite measure up. If you want the best go to 1) Jimmy Buff's 2) Libby's Lunch in Paterson 3) Hiram's in Fort Lee. These are the best of the best. I'd drive from Scranton to Jimmy Buff's about 50 miles further, than I would for Hot Dog Johnnys.

Jimmy Buff's Italian Dog:

That is so no fair showing that Picture!! YUMMMMMMY!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 AM

70 posts, read 272,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wasn't Jimmy's on "Unwrapped" one time? That show on Food Network? If it's the place I'm thinking of, it looked like the shizzle!
Yes, they were. They talked about the different Hot Dogs, and the Deep Fried ones look good to Me!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodcrest1957 View Post
That is so no fair showing that Picture!! YUMMMMMMY!
I'm drooling for sure..

So, my son goes to North Plainfield around the 18th and where does he stop? That's right Jimmy Buff's. He had the nerve to take a pic of it and text it to me.. then took another after he was done eating. Of course he didn't think to bring his mom one..

Goes I have to beg the hubby to stop next time he's delivering Mazda's on Rt 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey