Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM

390 posts, read 1,364,692 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just bought our first home and it has oil heat (into forced hot air). This is our first experience with oil heat, and have no idea what to expect in terms of heating costs. Does anyone out there know the price per gallon of oil is? Anyone care to share their heating costs with oil heat? Our house is about 1,600 sq ft.

We were going to wait until after our first winter to convert to gas, but if the cost is that high, we may do it earlier. Has anyone converted to gas? Do you know the cost of doing so? Is it something PSE&G does themselves, or do you hire an outside company?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,005,053 times
Oil heat is absolutely ridiculously expensive. Like $700 a fillup for a 275 gal tank, and it lasts for a few weeks. I will be converting this summer. Can't wait to be rid of it! It's dirty, smelly, inefficient, dangerous, and god forbid you experience a leak.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Good to know Marc, thank you. Our tank is above ground, thankfully. Do you know much it's going to cost you to convert?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:49 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,986,340 times
The price was around $3.40 a gallon a few weeks ago.

I heat 2200 Sq FT with a two year old Energy Kinetics EK-1 Boiler. This past heating season I went through a little under 700 gallons. That also includes my hot water which is hooked up to the unit as well.

Right now natural gas is not available in my area. I chose the EK 1 because you can convert the boiler from oil to gas by changing the burners. Depending on the age and condition of your unit it may be worth looking into if you can convert your unit from oil to gas as well.

The cost to convert depends on which unit you select. Then you have to consider how far from the gas line to your house and of course labor. Your town may also want to inspect your chimney. They may require a new stainless steel liner as well.

Ball park figure with a HE unit, a liner and labor $6,000 to $8,000. Thats not including what it will run you to get the line from the street into your home. I'd guess about $1000 for that call PSE&G for the details.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Thanks again for the info. Our house does have a gas line already, as the hot water heater and stove are already natural gas. Just the furnace uses oil.

Last edited by labcjo; 07-07-2012 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,005,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
The price was around $3.40 a gallon a few weeks ago.

I heat 2200 Sq FT with a two year old Energy Kinetics EK-1 Boiler. This past heating season I went through a little under 700 gallons. That also includes my hot water which is hooked up to the unit as well.

Right now natural gas is not available in my area. I chose the EK 1 because you can convert the boiler from oil to gas by changing the burners. Depending on the age and condition of your unit it may be worth looking into if you can convert your unit from oil to gas as well.

The cost to convert depends on which unit you select. Then you have to consider how far from the gas line to your house and of course labor. Your town may also want to inspect your chimney. They may require a new stainless steel liner as well.

Ball park figure with a HE unit, a liner and labor $6,000 to $8,000. Thats not including what it will run you to get the line from the street into your home. I'd guess about $1000 for that call PSE&G for the details.
So at $3.40 it would cost me $935!!!. I am glad you pointed this out, I didn't realize how high it had risen, even since this winter. Add to that fact that more refineries are choosing not to produce this fuel as more and more people switch to gas and demand for heating oil continues to drop. Switching to gas is now a top priority, I was lollygaggling enjoying the summer heat. Now it's time to plan on enjoying winter heat: at a nice new much lower price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey