Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM

943 posts, read 3,325,459 times

Advertisements

So the last few days have been super hectic and stressful, my father was rushed to the hospital for surgery on Friday due to a herniated disc in his back that almost paralyzed him. His employer has taken over this case due to the fact that this occurred on the job. There are several things that I'm pissed at here, their physician kept delaying the approval for an MRI, their stupid asses looked at the xray and diagnosed him with back sprain, just giving him some pain meds and appointments to see a therapist. A few weeks went by and the case got worse and worse, and still no MRI and he was almost paralyzed.

So now he's a few days post op and I'm finding out that they don't want to send my dad to a rehabilitation center and he absolutely needs it! My father can barely turn at a 15 degree angle without being in agonizing pain and the hospital wants to release him today . we're looking into renting a hospital bed but the company doesn't want to cover that either. I have no idea how any of this works as this is the first time something like this has happened. I just want my dad to heal well and get proper care. I wish he could just let his private insurance take this over because this a crazy. I know that we're going to pursue legal action because there are so many things that went wrong here, but for now I just want my dad to get the proper care. Is there a way around this? Also does anyone know anything about renting hospital equipment (a bed) in NJ? Also does anyone have any good Worker's Comp attorneys in the state? (Feel Free to PM me).

Sorry if my words are all jumbled up, I typed this at Godspeed as I'm trying to get info on renting a hospital bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,306 times
NJWC is 3 fold 1) Medical care for work injury. 2) TTD payments for those unable to work and when employer has no secondary work that the injured worker can do. There is a 7 day waiting period which he will get back in his 3rd week of out of work 3) Compensation for the measurable amount of permanent disability the Injured worker is left with after all corrective care. Palliative care is NOT covered by NJWC THAT IS IT THE END!!!!! No pain& suffering or other payments

In your case the treating Dr. tries to limit liability of the employer ( that's why they pay these Drs millions a year) The 1st line of care, conservative was appropriate and if symptoms continued or get worst ONLY then will they order studies like MRI.

I think the pain was so bad you are confusing it with being paralyzed. If he were going paralyzed his exam would have had signs. They had to have checked his reflexes and did basic exam and apparently they saw no reason to not treat conservatively.

I think you are too close to the injured worker and you must let the system/ and injury/recovery run its course. Besides you really have no other choice. I think a rehab CTR is excessive. After a little rest he will get examined again by the Dr then maybe get sent to PT and they will evaluate the condition and report to the treating Dr.

DO NOT USE your private ins. This will complicate your case and could cause him to lose his rights under WC law.

This injury sounds serious enough to have a lawyer represent him. You want a WC expert, not some bum who claims to do WC cases. However it is very early in the case to be sure. He may recover fully and then there is no reason to waste your award $$ on a lawyer, however if he should turn for the worst and become totally disabled he will want the WC expert, as well as a SS expert as he will need to win his SS disability case to possibly open the door to 2nd injury funds which are very helpful to the totally disabled due to work injury.

You can only get a hospital bed though WC when the patient cant get to the bathroom. Just pop him upstairs, you could ask the dr to prescribe one of those chairs for over the toilet as he will have a hard time sitting that low of the thrown.

I will PM u but like I said it is early and if you het hard time from Dr or carrier about medically needed things then you can have lawyer file motions to help you get what the Dr orders.

Good luck and call if you need

BUG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey