Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM

168 posts, read 298,369 times

Advertisements

We are in contract to buy a 1920's Tudor style house in Ridgewood. Should we have the property scanned? I have never heard of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 PM

173 posts, read 655,075 times
Absolutely have it scanned. Do you have a buyer's agent? They should have brought this to your attention.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Yes, we have a buyers agent. No, she did not bring it to our attention....

Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,811,208 times
because not everyone in the world is as paranoid as city data, or they don't want to ruin a deal. not sure this helps. we bought a house with a tank , and removed it. everything was fine. i know of people who have very expensive homes with ancient tanks underground still in use in ridgewood.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,999,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
because not everyone in the world is as paranoid as city data, or they don't want to ruin a deal. not sure this helps. we bought a house with a tank , and removed it. everything was fine. i know of people who have very expensive homes with ancient tanks underground still in use in ridgewood.
You say this as if no one has ever had major problems with this. And they have. It isn't being paranoid. it is protecting yourself financially.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 AM

After reading about "tanks" on CDF, I e-mailed my agent the night before our inspection. She contacted the seller and confirmed that they have paperwork stating that there is not a tank on the property. I some point there was one, but it was removed (not by current owners who have been in the house 7 years). The paperwork from the seller is going to be e-mailed to me.

Interesting because neigher our agent and the attorney used for the attorney review period mentioned anything about tanks.

When I e-mailed my agent, she something like, "I can't imagine that they would have bought a house with a scan, but you never know." I am thinking well, maybe their agent was like you and did not tell they needed to scan!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,999,357 times
Isn't that on the disclosure form?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM

I'll have to check. My husband has all the forms with him in NJ.

Glad that I happen to read this post before the inspection.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 AM

9,236 posts, read 14,789,230 times
I doubt you need to have anything scanned. Usually there is evidence in the basement that was an oil tank at one time.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,981,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
After reading about "tanks" on CDF, I e-mailed my agent the night before our inspection. She contacted the seller and confirmed that they have paperwork stating that there is not a tank on the property. I some point there was one, but it was removed (not by current owners who have been in the house 7 years). The paperwork from the seller is going to be e-mailed to me.

Interesting because neigher our agent and the attorney used for the attorney review period mentioned anything about tanks.

When I e-mailed my agent, she something like, "I can't imagine that they would have bought a house with a scan, but you never know." I am thinking well, maybe their agent was like you and did not tell they needed to scan!
If I were to buy a house in 2012, I would have an underground tank scan done, regardless of any representation from the seller, his attorney, his goomar, his consigliere, his priest, whomever. It would just be part of my due diligence. 20 years goes by, and the past becomes the ancient past and no one remembers anything. For what, $300, I'd just have it done as part of my home buying routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: