Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 20,875 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house in NJ. We are mostly looking in the Middletown area (looking for min 3 bdrm, 1 bath, w/ a yard)Today we drove through parts of Matawan, Aberdeen and Old Bridge and there seemed to be some nice neighborhoods that had nice houses in the 400s range- which seems a little less expensive than comparable houses in Middletown. We dont know anything about these areas as we just randomly decided to go for a drive. Any information on what the areas are like- crime, schools, commute to manhattan (i will be commuting to the city) would be appreciated. We usually wind up liking homes that are a little out of price range but most of the ones we drove by today were in our price range so we were wondering- what the catch is?
Also - are there any other nice areas that we should consider?
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:46 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Quote:
What are- Matawan, Aberdeen, Old Bridge like?
Where to begin?

They're all pretty similar, IMO, given they all flow in and out around each other. Old Bridge is in Middlesex, while Matawan and Aberdeen are in Monmouth county--which many people in Monmouth will tell you is far superior.

If your budget is in the 400s, you will absolutely get more for your money in those three towns than in Middletown. However, Middletown schools are the best of the lot. Commuting via train from the Matawan-Aberdeen station is tricky given the parking situation (7-10 year waits for a pass), but if you arrive very early, you can use the daily lot. In OB, people take the train from the M-A station or the bus.

You should also consider Hazlet and Sayreville. Both are on par and in the same vicinity as the towns you looked at, and all those school districts are pretty comparable. You should be able to find a nice SF home in any of those towns.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:22 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
I happen to live in Old Bridge (bordering Matawan) near Lake Lefferts for the last 22 years.

Great area to bring up a family and the schools are very good. Prices in Old Bridge can go from $300,000 - to over 1 million.

The Matawan train station is nearby, but there is a loooong wait for a parking permit, but there are also private lots and public daily lot next to the station.

If the buses are your thing. Route 9 is a major hub of buses (last stop) before heading into the City.

My area called (Lakeridge) is just off Route 516 and homes are selling anywhere from $425,000 to $500,000+, Capes, Ranches to Colonials. We have a private pool club and tennis courts just for the community ($375 a year) and that's been a great place for the family to meet others and hang out during the summer. Even my 3 kids (now adults), loved growing up here. We have a ranch home, with 4 bedrooms, family room and two car garage on 15,000 square feet.

Without a doubt the best home (3rd home) and area that we've ever owned

Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 20,875 times
thanks for the replies!
We actually drove through LakeRidge today and that was one of the areas we really really liked- exactly the kind of community we are looking for.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz020907 View Post
thanks for the replies!
We actually drove through LakeRidge today and that was one of the areas we really really liked- exactly the kind of community we are looking for.
We have a number of homes in the area for sale. Just make sure you look/buy on the pool side. (Now, you're thinking why). It's a kids thing. When they're 8 years old, they're allowed to go into the pool area by themselves (of course, lifeguards are always on duty). This way they don't have to cross 516. Plus, they're are more kids on the pool side than the other side of Lakeridge.

If you have any other questions, please ask here or you can PM me.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM

Not sure if you're still interested but the Lakeridge web site is:

LakeridgeEast

Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 189,683 times
Ive never been inside lakeridge but looks pretty (70's style homes, but well-kept).

Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 AM

The homes were actually built in 1964, but just about everyone has kept theirs looking up to date. There are a handful of original owners left, but younger families are buying them out and fixing the place up.

While I'm not an original owner (came here in 1985), my kids are just about out (hopefuly next year) and we're looking to move to a smaller home (55+) in south jersey. I redid my home recently...new floors, rugs, bathrooms and kitchen. You can get a great looking home for a very fair price and have a private pool club just for the development at $375 a YEAR for the family.

If there's a doubt about the development, drive by the pool on the Saturday of Memorial Day. The place is full of people having a great time.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM

14 posts, read 99,143 times
Hello,
I have a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath home for sale in Sayreville. As mentioned before it is very comprable to Matawan/Old Bridge. Walk to the bus or use the train at South Amboy to NYC. My home is in a nice neighborhood and I am on a 1/4 acre, pool, Florida room, C/A etc. I am relocating so if you reach out to contact me now I have not signed with a realtor and I would not mind discounting the commission to move the house.....Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey