Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

Re: Gay Friendly towns,
I'd have to agree with most of the posts that say that NJ is basically a gay-friendly state . (Doesn't it suck that you even have to ask that question?)
However my cousin & her partner just had their first child , bought in Maplewood & are thrilled. It's beautiful & family friendly.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 12:11 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times
Yes I do. Ocean Grove, Asbury Park (really up and coming), Flemington, NJ,
Cape May, NJ and Red Bank, NJ.

Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2006, 10:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Or village idiots marching around with pitchforks & torches. Amazing how the self righteous KKKristian KKKonservatives get it into their perverted minds it's their god appointed duty to impose their so called values on everybody else.
I agree wholeheartedly. What I don't understand is how Conservatives can pat themselves on the back for promoting "Christian ethics" while insinuating that we gays are an "inferior race" that are viewed negatively in the eyes of God and are not entitled to the same legal benefits that heterosexuals are as "Godly" people. I suppose "God" is up to one's interpretation; mine is a deity of compassion that judges one based upon what he/she has done to improve the lives of OTHERS not who he/she fell in love with! For Conservatives, their God is one of hate and contempt, one who expects you to conform to a "straight and narrow" or be condemned to an eternity of brimstone. The sad thing is that many of these Conservatives are able to pander to such a broad audience; it doesn't say much for the American educational system when the majority actually thinks that one segment of society is somehow "beneath" another. (I've yet to hear one valid argument as to why gay marriage will be detrimental to society other than superficial reasons that have no substance, such as "harming children", "making a mockery of straight marraiges", "God wouldn't want it that way", etc.) What a bunch of baloney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm disappointed to hear that about Scranton/WilkesBarre since I'll be moving there temporarily in a few weeks.
Don't despair. Our area isn't as bleak as it may seem. Sure, culture around here consists of heading to a high school football game on a Friday night and then going "up to da bar near da crick to drink two, tree beers", and the envious people automatically assume you're "stuffy" if you actually had the ambition to further your educations beyond middle school in hopes of planning ahead for a brighter economic future, but for a person who is tolerant of intolerance (unfortunately including myself), the area's pros far outweigh its cons. For me it's just been a bit hard emotionally; the GLBT population around here is literally so frightened by the extreme Christian redneck majority that they're afraid to "come out" for fear of retaliation, which leaves openly-gay people, such as myself, no viable dating or social life whatsoever. However, I'm looking forward to commuting back and forth to work in Manhattan in the upcoming years, a place where I can be immersed with more of "my kind" and potentially finally find true love! I actually think that I may have one or two love interests right now locally who are just too afraid to come forward, but being that very few others are "open", I can't bear the thought of taking the risk of asking out a straight guy. I made that same mistake in high school, and the end result was in me losing a friend who still hates me to this day. I just don't understand why Republicans are so EVIL!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,440 times
The Eastside Park Historic District in Paterson is notably gay friendly. Take a look at some of the links below. You can still get an outstanding home at a highly competitive price (not saying that just because my 1921 Tudor is on the market). There is a very active and strong neighborhood association with many mambers who are gay. In fact, I would confess that the renaissance in the neighborhood and it attainment of historic districting was spearheaded by its very active gay population. Good luck in your seach for an embracing community.

Useful links:
http://www.eastsideneighborhood.org/
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/4/prweb115821.htm
http://www.nj.com/specialprojects/in...aycomfort.html
http://www.geocities.com/alexdambach/glips02.htm (broken link)
http://patersonnewjersey.quickseek.com/ (broken link)
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...62741791/pg_15

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ay&btnG=Search

Old 10-16-2006, 05:49 PM

49 posts, read 276,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. What I don't understand is how Conservatives can pat themselves on the back for promoting "Christian ethics" while insinuating that we gays are an "inferior race" that are viewed negatively in the eyes of God and are not entitled to the same legal benefits that heterosexuals are as "Godly" people. I suppose "God" is up to one's interpretation; mine is a deity of compassion that judges one based upon what he/she has done to improve the lives of OTHERS not who he/she fell in love with! For Conservatives, their God is one of hate and contempt, one who expects you to conform to a "straight and narrow" or be condemned to an eternity of brimstone. The sad thing is that many of these Conservatives are able to pander to such a broad audience; it doesn't say much for the American educational system when the majority actually thinks that one segment of society is somehow "beneath" another. (I've yet to hear one valid argument as to why gay marriage will be detrimental to society other than superficial reasons that have no substance, such as "harming children", "making a mockery of straight marraiges", "God wouldn't want it that way", etc.) What a bunch of baloney!

Don't despair. Our area isn't as bleak as it may seem. Sure, culture around here consists of heading to a high school football game on a Friday night and then going "up to da bar near da crick to drink two, tree beers", and the envious people automatically assume you're "stuffy" if you actually had the ambition to further your educations beyond middle school in hopes of planning ahead for a brighter economic future, but for a person who is tolerant of intolerance (unfortunately including myself), the area's pros far outweigh its cons. For me it's just been a bit hard emotionally; the GLBT population around here is literally so frightened by the extreme Christian redneck majority that they're afraid to "come out" for fear of retaliation, which leaves openly-gay people, such as myself, no viable dating or social life whatsoever. However, I'm looking forward to commuting back and forth to work in Manhattan in the upcoming years, a place where I can be immersed with more of "my kind" and potentially finally find true love! I actually think that I may have one or two love interests right now locally who are just too afraid to come forward, but being that very few others are "open", I can't bear the thought of taking the risk of asking out a straight guy. I made that same mistake in high school, and the end result was in me losing a friend who still hates me to this day. I just don't understand why Republicans are so EVIL!!!
When you make gross generalizations the way you have you'll get a response.

I'm a Conservative and Catholic, I don't recall ever saying homosexuals were inferior. And as for gay marriage, I'm opposed to it but I'm for civil unions, BUT before you jump on me for saying that look at this statistic, 65% of African Americans are opposed to gay marriage, now how do African Americans tend to vote? Democrat, so this isn't strictly a Conservative issue. The Democratic party has some trouble on their hands with this issue because they're very much divided, according to Democrats, 46% favor gay marriage, 48% oppose. A substantial minority of these Democratic-leaning voters strongly oppose gay marriage (25%).

You can disagree with Republicans, but when you call them EVIL you basically shut down the lines of communication. Republicans are entitled to their opinions as are Democrats and they should be able to express them free from name calling.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNJ View Post
When you make gross generalizations the way you have you'll get a response.

I'm a Conservative and Catholic, I don't recall ever saying homosexuals were inferior. And as for gay marriage, I'm opposed to it but I'm for civil unions, BUT before you jump on me for saying that look at this statistic, 65% of African Americans are opposed to gay marriage, now how do African Americans tend to vote? Democrat, so this isn't strictly a Conservative issue. The Democratic party has some trouble on their hands with this issue because they're very much divided, according to Democrats, 46% favor gay marriage, 48% oppose. A substantial minority of these Democratic-leaning voters strongly oppose gay marriage (25%).

You can disagree with Republicans, but when you call them EVIL you basically shut down the lines of communication. Republicans are entitled to their opinions as are Democrats and they should be able to express them free from name calling.

I suppose we all need to open up our minds a little bit, including myself! I'm sorry that I stereotyped there; it's just that I have yet to meet a compassionate, open-minded, lucid-thinking Conservative Republican in Pennsylvania; I guess the ones in New Jersey, including yourself, actually THINK before they speak, unlike they do around here. I still remember being taunted for participating in Wilkes-Barre's AIDS Walk last year because people thought it was a "gay man's disease." I wasn't walking and raising money necessarily to help those who were afflicted with HIV through intercourse; I was inspired by a documentary on the poor children who were infected through faulty blood transfusions while receiving medical treatments. I was just outraged that people could be so insensitive towards the issue, espcially since the guest speaker was the mother of a young child who succumbed to AIDS through a transfusion!

It's issues like THESE that permeate through my emotional barrier daily. MANY people in Metro Scranton still have that "Archie Bunker" mindset that it's okay to point out people's flaws or maladies and ridicule them for it in order to make themselves appear to be more "perfect Christians." Considering I'm apparently one of the few gay males that does not wear a tiara, have limp wrists, speak with a lisp, sleeps around, etc., I just get repeatedly offended every time I have to hear one of these local rednecks spout out their hatred. I know people have that old saying "Sticks and stones...", but after a while it just starts to sting. Couple that with the fact that you feel ALONE in your battles because the rest of the local GLBT population is still in the closet, and you're asking for some really unpleasant encounters.

Once again, I'm sorry Denise for making that blanket stereotype about all Republicans and/or Conservatives; it's just when you're exposed to only ONE image of a particular segment of society day in and day out for so long, you begin to think that's the ONLY way they can be portrayed. (Epiphany just occurring here: People in Metro Scranton are likewise probably as intolerant as they are of gays because they haven't yet had any positive experiences with them either! ). I guess it's up to me and the few other "open" people in the area to try to work even more diligently to break down these negative barriers in order to prove ourselves as being worthy human beings. Wow! I love epiphanies! Thanks Denise for just slapping me upside the head with a reality check! I needed that!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM

49 posts, read 276,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I suppose we all need to open up our minds a little bit, including myself! I'm sorry that I stereotyped there; it's just that I have yet to meet a compassionate, open-minded, lucid-thinking Conservative Republican in Pennsylvania; I guess the ones in New Jersey, including yourself, actually THINK before they speak, unlike they do around here. I still remember being taunted for participating in Wilkes-Barre's AIDS Walk last year because people thought it was a "gay man's disease." I wasn't walking and raising money necessarily to help those who were afflicted with HIV through intercourse; I was inspired by a documentary on the poor children who were infected through faulty blood transfusions while receiving medical treatments. I was just outraged that people could be so insensitive towards the issue, espcially since the guest speaker was the mother of a young child who succumbed to AIDS through a transfusion!

It's issues like THESE that permeate through my emotional barrier daily. MANY people in Metro Scranton still have that "Archie Bunker" mindset that it's okay to point out people's flaws or maladies and ridicule them for it in order to make themselves appear to be more "perfect Christians." Considering I'm apparently one of the few gay males that does not wear a tiara, have limp wrists, speak with a lisp, sleeps around, etc., I just get repeatedly offended every time I have to hear one of these local rednecks spout out their hatred. I know people have that old saying "Sticks and stones...", but after a while it just starts to sting. Couple that with the fact that you feel ALONE in your battles because the rest of the local GLBT population is still in the closet, and you're asking for some really unpleasant encounters.

Once again, I'm sorry Denise for making that blanket stereotype about all Republicans and/or Conservatives; it's just when you're exposed to only ONE image of a particular segment of society day in and day out for so long, you begin to think that's the ONLY way they can be portrayed. (Epiphany just occurring here: People in Metro Scranton are likewise probably as intolerant as they are of gays because they haven't yet had any positive experiences with them either! ). I guess it's up to me and the few other "open" people in the area to try to work even more diligently to break down these negative barriers in order to prove ourselves as being worthy human beings. Wow! I love epiphanies! Thanks Denise for just slapping me upside the head with a reality check! I needed that!
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

As for politics you have to realize this, there are people who call themselves Conservative and they're what can be called Religious Zealots, something that I'm not, then there are those who call themselves Conservatives who identify themselves that way because they're fiscally Conservative, which is what I am.

Same can be said for Liberals, there are Liberals out there who believe in free speech, and then there are something that I'd call the modern day Liberal who want to suppress speech they don't agree with ie the college campus types.

Look at it this way, as a Gay American you have to fight stereotypes at times, and nothing is greater in making your case then a calm rational discussion of the issue. You're actually a very intelligent person from what I've read here and have alot to offer to the discussion, as a Gay American you go out there and make your case to the few that don't accept you, kill then with kindness, and if that doesn't work just walk away, they're not really worth it .

Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,128 times
Wow, I love this forum it is like listening to talk radio!! I am one conservative republican that wants to know if the poor guy(or girl) from the begining has found a place to live. just wondering??

Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 PM

14 posts, read 96,233 times
Cape May, Asbury Park and Collingswood that I know of.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times
New Jersey just got gay-friendlier. Story on CNN.com, hope the link stays put. http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/25/jersey.samesex.ap/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey