Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

115 posts, read 380,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How gay-friendly is Hunterdon County? Which Cities are the most gay-friendly in Hunterdon County?
The river towns (in order): Lambertville, Frenchtown, Stockton, Milford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,608 times
The Piedmont section of Bound Brook is very nice and welcoming to everyone. The classic Victorian homes in this Americana neighborhood are perfect for raising a family.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
I just moved to Maplewood and its one of the most gay friendly towns I know in NJ other then Asbury.

They have their own Pride day, you'll see pride flags hanging from porches... I like it because its not the village gay friendly but more family oriented.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
keep the fear....ROF...you must be living under a rock under water....NJ has a ton of gay communities and bars...as a matter of fact there are 2 hospitals where 70% of the doctors are gay....LOL...i guess you don't have gaydar..LOL...I have many friends who are gay so i know first hand...but i will add that i do not agree with homosexuality what so ever...

And your so-called "gay" friends are your friends? Who cares what you think about homosexuality...no one asked you what you thought.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 12,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEast View Post
I am thinking of relocating to New Jersey. Does anyone know of any gay friendly towns in the state? Any word on whether Maplewood and South Orange are still good places for gays a lesbians?
Even though this question is twelve years old, answering it might help someone else so here goes. There are more than 20 million people in the NY/NJ/CT region with the area playing host to the epicenters of advertising, television, banking and finance, law, medical research, live entertainment and many more. When you have that many creative people in one place, you are bound to find a lot of gay and gay-friendly people.

Let's start alphabetically. Asbury Park has become somewhat of a gay "mecca" in the past twenty years, with many men and women who've been priced out of other gay-friendly beach resorts in the area (The Hamptons, Fire Island, Provincetown MA) buying in Bruce Springsteen's hometown. The university towns of New Brunswick (Rutgers) and Montclair (Montclair State) are great, gay-friendly towns to live in with excellent rail, road and bus access to Manhattan. On weekday schedules, Asbury Park is a two-hour train or bus ride from Manhattan with one transfer (very easy and quick) or a 1.5-hour drive on excellent freeways and/or a toll road. Check out NJTransit.com for information on transit options between Manhattan, New Brunswick, and Montclair. I don't know where you are relocating from, but wherever it is in the US, I'd be surprised if the regional public transit options are the same as or better than those in the NY metropolitan area. Of course, if you're coming from Europe or Japan, you will think even this region's public transit primitive and the freeways even worse. Further west in NJ, the strip of Hunterdon County villages on the banks of the Delaware River is very gay-friendly with many middle-aged men and women relocating from Manhattan to open businesses there. At the center of this area are the towns of Lambertville NJ and New Hope PA. New Hope attracts hoards of day trippers in the warmer seasons, however, Lambertville, with its well preserved Victorian-era homes and art and antique shops are more genteel. Finally, the Hudson River towns of Hoboken and Jersey City, with their close proximity and subway (the PATH trains) to/from Manhattan are as gay-friendly as Chelsea and Hells Kitchen across the river. Of course, the closer you are to Manhattan, the more expensive the housing will be. I hope this helps you and any other folks who might be considering relocating to the NY City area.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,412,592 times
They need to make AC to a gay mecca. This will accelerate gentrification and make it nice like asbury park

Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM

23,298 posts, read 16,984,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEast View Post
I am thinking of relocating to New Jersey. Does anyone know of any gay friendly towns in the state? Any word on whether Maplewood and South Orange are still good places for gays a lesbians?
There are no gay unfriendly towns.

Some towns are unfriendly to humans in general.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,464,397 times
NYC is so great for LGBT people and I don't think any NJ "specializes" in LGBT. With proximity to NYC, North Jersey in general can be friendly with gays except for my town. My town is a conservative Republican town in Morris County, while a lot of Morris County can be pretty Democratic and liberal. In NYC, I see tons of gay guys holding hands in public and kissing in public, but in NJ's cities that border NYC and in the suburbs, I don't see any of that. I guess it's because most of NJ is not walkable as it is and you need car to get anywhere. Montclair State University has a ton of LGBT people and living Montclair might be great for LGBT.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM

538 posts, read 725,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
NYC is so great for LGBT people and I don't think any NJ "specializes" in LGBT. With proximity to NYC, North Jersey in general can be friendly with gays except for my town. My town is a conservative Republican town in Morris County, while a lot of Morris County can be pretty Democratic and liberal. In NYC, I see tons of gay guys holding hands in public and kissing in public, but in NJ's cities that border NYC and in the suburbs, I don't see any of that. I guess it's because most of NJ is not walkable as it is and you need car to get anywhere. Montclair State University has a ton of LGBT people and living Montclair might be great for LGBT.
For what it's worth South Orange/Maplewood are gay friendly suburbs where gay families are seen as just another family and aren't anything particularly exotic.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM

857 posts, read 826,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
This is exactly correct. New Jersey is no place for gay couples because it is not walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey