Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 27,919 times

Advertisements

Hi

Maybe someone could help me out. I have family coming from Europe. They will be staying at the Coutyard in Montvale and we are looking to meet up in Midtown Mnhattan (we livein CT). They are NOT seasoned travellers so I want to make this as easy as possible for them.

I see you can take the train, change in Hoboken and then get into the city from there. Seems pretty easy, but for first timers, the prospect of having to change trains is pretty daunting-LOL

Anyone know anythng about the bus? (In particular the 47). The timetable says around 50 minutes-how realistic would that be @ 9.00 am on a weekd day. Are the bus's reliable, clean, safe

Any help would be greatly appreciated (otherwise I am going to have to drive over and get them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Hi

Maybe someone could help me out. I have family coming from Europe. They will be staying at the Coutyard in Montvale and we are looking to meet up in Midtown Mnhattan (we livein CT). They are NOT seasoned travellers so I want to make this as easy as possible for them.

I see you can take the train, change in Hoboken and then get into the city from there. Seems pretty easy, but for first timers, the prospect of having to change trains is pretty daunting-LOL

Anyone know anythng about the bus? (In particular the 47). The timetable says around 50 minutes-how realistic would that be @ 9.00 am on a weekd day. Are the bus's reliable, clean, safe

Any help would be greatly appreciated (otherwise I am going to have to drive over and get them)
I'm sure the buses are clean and safe, although I haven't traveled that way from there myself. Montvale's an affluent Bergen County town. It's unlikely the commuters from Montvale would patronize unsafe and dirty transportation options. I have taken the bus from other towns in the area, and yes, they are clean and safe, so it's a good bet they'll be fine. At that time of day, the travel time is probably accurate.

What is the bus line, do you know? I looked at the NJ Transit website, but I didn't see the bus to which you refer. Some towns do use other companies, like Coach or Academy.

Re the train--they have another option besides going to Hoboken that might make more sense to meet you in Midtown. They can take the train to Secaucus Transfer, the big NJ Transit Station just off the Turnpike that all the NJ Transit train lines go through. They get off the train there and catch a train to New York City, which is about a ten-minute ride. Then they will end up in Penn Station. The transfer is easy to do, and there are plenty of people around to point them in the direction of the New York City train and track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey