Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times

Advertisements

I probably wouldnt need to start a new thread if I knew anything about New Jersey. But here goes.

I live out on Long Island in Suffolk County. My wife and I are taking about moving west into NJ. My parents relocated from Staten Island to Pennsylvania, and her family is slowly migrating west too.

By the time of our planned move we'll have three kids, aged from 11 - baby.

We're looking for a modest house, single family detached. 1,500-2,000sqft. In a clean neighborhood, with good schools, in the $350-450,000 range. Train or bus commute to NY-Penn Station within an hour (+/-)

Where could/should we start our search?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I probably wouldnt need to start a new thread if I knew anything about New Jersey. But here goes.

I live out on Long Island in Suffolk County. My wife and I are taking about moving west into NJ. My parents relocated from Staten Island to Pennsylvania, and her family is slowly migrating west too.

By the time of our planned move we'll have three kids, aged from 11 - baby.

We're looking for a modest house, single family detached. 1,500-2,000sqft. In a clean neighborhood, with good schools, in the $350-450,000 range. Train or bus commute to NY-Penn Station within an hour (+/-)

Where could/should we start our search?

Thanks!
Couple of questions.

1) When you state "one hour commute (+/-)" do you mean door-to-door?

1a) If you want to include travel and wait time from home to station, station to work and vice versa, how much additional time would you be willing to put in?

2) Bedrooms. How many?

One of the issues you will run into quickly is the price range relative to the length of commute. The farther away from the City you are, the more options you will have.

Presuming you are willing to add time to the commute, one area to look at would be directional Brunswicks (North, South, East - there is no West). However, keep in mind the taxes may be an issue, especially in East Brunswick. Another area might be South Edison, closer to the Highland Park boundary. H. Park is also another option.

Hope this gives you a start...

Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Pretty vague, but that's ok.

Pa. is a large State, are your folks in Pittsburg? Or Bucks Co.? Pittsburg is about 5 hours from the closest town in NJ. Bucks Co. Pa. is as close as 30 minutes away.

Anyway, look at the NJT train lines and hone down your acceptable commute to the city and your desired commute time to family.
NJ TRANSIT Rail Lines Map

Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
You have plenty of options to choose from. I could give you 25+ nice towns that fit what you are asking for.

Probably should give some more info

Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Sorry, I should have. Always forget the obvious I guess.
Mimimum of 3 bedrooms
My folks are in Waye/Lackawanna Cty in PA. (Poconos, it's the new Florida for old New Yorkers)
As for the hour commute, that doesnt have to be door to door, but I'd prever not to have to drive 30 minutes for a 60 minute train ride.
I get the distance to NY/price inverse ratio, but I learned from the move I made out onto Long Island, where the electric train service stops on the LIRR, the frequency of service begins to suck. It looks to be the same with NJT.
Thank you all again.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Sorry, I should have. Always forget the obvious I guess.
Mimimum of 3 bedrooms
My folks are in Waye/Lackawanna Cty in PA. (Poconos, it's the new Florida for old New Yorkers)
As for the hour commute, that doesnt have to be door to door, but I'd prever not to have to drive 30 minutes for a 60 minute train ride.
I get the distance to NY/price inverse ratio, but I learned from the move I made out onto Long Island, where the electric train service stops on the LIRR, the frequency of service begins to suck. It looks to be the same with NJT.
Thank you all again.
Not necessarily. The Bergen County-Main Line trains of NJ Transit (two lines that meet and become one at Ridgewood) is diesel and the frequency and on-time record is very good.

You might want to look at Fair Lawn. Good-size town, should be able to find something in your price range despite the fact that it's Bergen County, two train stations with express trains. The only issue is that they are Hoboken-bound trains, great for downtown but not midtown. Choices are a) Switch at Secaucus Transfer for the ten-minute ride into NY Penn, or b) go to Hoboken and take the 33rd Street PATH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey