Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...96_percen.html

Quote:
TRENTON — New Jersey’s unemployment rate climbed to a two-year high in June, pushing the state farther above the national average even though nearly 10,000 new jobs were added, the state labor department said today.

The state’s jobless rate rose from 9.2 percent to 9.6 percent, its biggest month-to-month spike in three years. New Jersey hasn’t been this far above the national average in more than three decades. The nation’s unemployment rate for June was 8.2 percent.

It really aggravates me that the state is wasting money to run commercials touting a "Jersey comeback" when the economy in this state remains pretty terrible.

I would like to see some significant progress made before we waste money patting ourselves on the back...

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 41,499 times
hope and change will win again in NJ. hope and change

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
N.J. unemployment hits 9.6 percent in June, its largest jump in 3 years | NJ.com

It really aggravates me that the state is wasting money to run commercials touting a "Jersey comeback" when the economy in this state remains pretty terrible.

I would like to see some significant progress made before we waste money patting ourselves on the back...
I'm pretty sure the Koch Bros. are paying for those ridiculous commercials.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Meanwhile Christie is having controlled town halls all over the state....what a joke and fast tracking projects like failed and badly planned Xanadu...

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-20-2012 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: no need for name calling...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM

23 posts, read 41,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Meanwhile the fat man is having controlled town halls all over the state....what a joke and fast tracking projects like failed and badly planned Xanadu...
Christie allowed tolls to increase. Put it this way for some people it is impossible to travel too far in NJ. They tax people in NJ who use the turnpike and this hurts jobs and business. Christie is a joke and is ruining this state. And hope and change is a failure too.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-20-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: no need for name calling...

Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelross View Post
hope and change will win again in NJ. hope and change
This is one of those situation where the partisan hacks cant see above reality. If someone considers Christie a failure in terms of numbers it does not mean that one can not consider Obama a failure. I for one see the good and bad in both of them. I can state several things I like and several things I dont like yet that seems impossible for most people in this country. 9.6 is a horrible unemployment rate and Christie needs to start owning it. 8.2 is bad and not exactly time to start popping the champagne bottles considering how much money Obama has borrowed.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

GRF--Those commercials are most definitely not paid for with state money, as they are designed solely to build our esteemed governor's profile in his continued quest for higher office. Even His Largeness wouldn't have the nerve to spend state money on this type of self-promotion, as it would surely lead to indictment for misappropriation of state funds.

Instead, this is the work of some Super-Pac with a pro-Christie agenda. And, unfortunately, Super-Pacs can get away with telling much bigger lies than you would normally see in ads paid for by a candidate's own campaign organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I'm pretty sure the Koch Bros. are paying for those ridiculous commercials.
You are probably correct.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 AM

303 posts, read 919,967 times
Unions are strangling jobs int his state.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
CC? Obama has said the private sector is fine, he promised a lazer focus on job creation more than a year ago and every moment since he was elected. DebWS said the the economy and jobs are moving right along. What's your problem?

Jobs will magically appear when Obama loses in November. Companies are afraid that CC will lose the next election and NJ will again be a less than desirable place to opena business. During CC's 2nd term the economy will be humming.

There was a study in one of the Nordic countries that showed job seekers found jobs just as the 5 years of welfare ended. So they cut off welfare at 3 years and guess what. more people found jobs just as the welfare ended.

Lot of components, but business has to be confident of a more permanent, favorable climate. With the impending surprises coming daily from Obamacare legislation, and pending associated taxes, everyone is sitting on their hands.

Welfare /helping hand government programs are being abused by many and negatively impact the folks who really need the help. The selfish nature of the bottom feeders, encouraged by the latest government commercials, are a slap in the face of the people who could benefit the most from those government programs...all on the back of working taxpayers.

So CC is a bit downstream of the national picture and two previous govs of dubious reputation and poor performance. NJ must establish a stable atmosphere, atractive to business which is the direct opposite strategy of the Federal goverment strategy of classwarfare and big business being the enemy of the 'people'.

When you have a Dem controlled house and Gov who put off passing a tax on millionaires for political advantage of blaming CC for not passing a tax on millionaires you have an unstable situation not condusive for business and increased employment.

Will you hold Obama responsible for the high unemployment rate as you hold CC? Doubt it. That double standard shows up as instability in NJ and reduced employment.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I'm not particularly fond of Christie and didn't vote for him. BUT I feel people don't get how deep the hole we've dug over the past decade or even longer really is (not just in NJ but the whole country). I don't think any one politician is going to be able to provide any quick fixes, but we seem to expect that as soon as we get someone new, everything is just going to magically get better, not sure it's realistic. So while I don't like Christie much, I also don't blame him for our entire economic situation. Honestly until we get back to a true 2-party system, which entails both parties working together for a common goal (rather than majority power pushing ideas through regardless of who is in power) we are doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey