Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
IMO guns in homes are inherently dangerous. Over the years I've worked with 2 women affected by guns in the home. In the first case, the son was 12 yrs old, got dad's gun out to show off to friends and shot the friend in the head and killed him. In the other, the son was just out of HS was showing off dad's gun to friends and shot & killed himself. Another local kid was showing off one of his dad's 100+ guns (not locked up, loaded, lying in the closet) and shot his friend in the head.

So personally I've heard of more tragedies with guns in the home than stories of shooting intruders coming into homes. That's why most people have them, right? I'm sure it's not that uncommon.
Nah they are perfectly safe. Children should always be raised around instruments of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
IMO guns in homes are inherently dangerous.
Firearm's owners have a responsibility to properly store firearms when not under their control. Just as any firearm's owner has the responsibility to learn the proper methods for the use of it.

In this case both lacked the knowledge and intelligence to own such items. simply buying a firearm doesn't make one proficient in it's use. in fact few firearm's owners today actually can use one with any degree of competence.

The average handgun fires less than ten rounds in it's lifetime. Not enough to gain any level of required skill and knowledge. Training is available yet some see themselves as "gunslingers" minutes after the purchase.

Case in point.
Man Accidentally Shoots Himself With Gun Purchased At Gun Show

Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Think maybe the original question is being ignored? This is now proving pointless.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Then you would be wrong. Christopher Bizilj died when he shot himself while firing a FA Mini Uzi back in 2008 during a firearm's event. Criminal charges were filed due to negligence on the part of the firearm's owner.
Boy, 8, dies after accidentally shooting himself with UZI at Westfield Sportsman's Club machine gun shoot | masslive.com

In this case the owner and the boy's father both lacked common sense in what was done.
I wasn't aware of that incident. I looked back at the statistic and it was "no crimes or homicides" have been caused by an automatic weapon since the ban. Tragic accident, definitely fueled by a lack of common sense.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Firearm's owners have a responsibility to properly store firearms when not under their control. Just as any firearm's owner has the responsibility to learn the proper methods for the use of it.

In this case both lacked the knowledge and intelligence to own such items. simply buying a firearm doesn't make one proficient in it's use. in fact few firearm's owners today actually can use one with any degree of competence.

The average handgun fires less than ten rounds in it's lifetime. Not enough to gain any level of required skill and knowledge. Training is available yet some see themselves as "gunslingers" minutes after the purchase.

Case in point.
So do you personally know more people who have experienced gun accidents or have used a gun to defend their homes?

In the case of the HS grad, he was raised around guns and knew how to use them. Again, kids do all kinds of stupid things. Adding guns to the equation makes it so much more dangerous

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
IMO guns in homes are inherently dangerous. Over the years I've worked with 2 women affected by guns in the home. In the first case, the son was 12 yrs old, got dad's gun out to show off to friends and shot the friend in the head and killed him. In the other, the son was just out of HS was showing off dad's gun to friends and shot & killed himself. Another local kid was showing off one of his dad's 100+ guns (not locked up, loaded, lying in the closet) and shot his friend in the head.

So personally I've heard of more tragedies with guns in the home than stories of shooting intruders coming into homes. That's why most people have them, right? I'm sure it's not that uncommon.
Pitbulls in the home are dangerous too. I have read about so many tragedies of pitbulls killing the family babies. Supposedly these pitbulls are in the homes to protect from intruders. We need to outlaw pitbulls.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Pitbulls in the home are dangerous too. I have read about so many tragedies of pitbulls killing the family babies. Supposedly these pitbulls are in the homes to protect from intruders. We need to outlaw pitbulls.
Awesome. Why the hell do people need pit bulls? I am full support of you.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Guess what city they are banned in?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:

Case in point.
Based on the fact that you are a responsible gun owner and enthusiast, what do you see as the solution to the as you call them "gunslingers"? The people who purchase weapons and do not follow any of the common sense guidelines for the storage and care of the weapon, nor do they take the time to properly learn how to use it. Obviously, the vast majority of accidental shootings are directly related to the failure of the firearm owner to live up to their basic responsibilities. How can we (general societal 'we') allow such free and open sale of firearms of all types including high capacity magazines, teflon bullets, etc. to people who are so woefully undertrained to properly handle them?

Case in point. My father was career US Army and a volunteer police officer as well as an avid hunter. He is an incredibly responsible gun owner and does everything right. That included raising my siblings and I with a knowledge and respect for the handling of firearms. I don't think people like yourself and my father need to have their guns taken away. Personally, while I was raised with guns in my home, as a father with three young children I believe that it represents too great of a threat to keep one in my home. I fully acknowledge this is my personal decision and not one everyone would make. Though I do have every intention, with my fathers assistance, of teaching my children how to properly handle and have respect for firearms.

On the other hand, I have an in-law that has recently become infatuated with guns after going to the range with some friends. He has legally purchased his first pistol and then acquired some body armor a friend of his had. He has taken his gun to the range once so far, but feels it's too expensive to do on a regular basis. He talks about the necessity of having the gun for home defense. He keeps the gun loaded and accessible (not locked in anyway) at all times. He has also taken to occasionally keeping it on his person in his house. He has also become a little too interested in "survivalist" thought and thinks he should probably be preparing for the proverbial time when the "SHTF". He has recently started talking about acquiring a more powerful gun such as an AR15. He leaves no doubt in my mind that his first reaction if he felt 'threatened' (meaning his wife is coming home and makes odd noises) would be to reach for his gun. Consequently, I do not allow my children in his home. He does not know this as since he has no children (thankfully) there is little reason for my kids to ever go there. I have also made it pretty clear that he is not in anyway shape or form to bring his gun to my home or have it around my kids.

How do we make sure that people like you and my father among countless other responsible gun owners are not denied your rights while simultaneously preventing my "gunslinger" in-law with his itchy finger and mild paranoia from turning his house into an armory? Are people like my in-law and whatever tragedy he may cause through his stupidity and negligence simply a cost that must be paid?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think the idea of trying to draw a causation or even correlation between gun laws and crime rates is irrelevant. It ultimately supports neither position.

Just to add to what you are saying, there has not been a SINGLE crime or death caused by a fully automatic weapon since the ban took place and the ownership was strictly controlled and licensed. One would think there is a bit of merit in at least some aspects of that admittedly very restrictive system. I have said several times, I am not against banning weapons, even "scary looking ones" if there are more effective sales, controls and licensing laws universally enforced. I don't want to take away your gun, or the guns of the guy in the picture. Unfortunately I don't see a way around it without much stricter purchasing regulations and licensing requirements being applied universally.

FWIW, I went to a demonstration of WW2 small arms at Fort Dix a couple of years ago. The cost of that collection was massive and included STG44's, MG42's, BAR's, etc. owned by a private group.

Texas man accidentally fires gun in Walmart, police say | Fox News

[/color]
[/color][/color]
Legally owned machineguns have been next to nothing of a problem crime-wise, but criminals have always had access to machineguns illegally. The ban after 1986 needs to be overturned anyways. Funny how I can legally buy or build a grenade with the NFA tax stamp but not have a machinegun.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:

Obviously they did not teach gun safety to their children. They probably had the mentality of hiding them and making them a forbidden fruit, which doesn't work good. I grew up around guns and knew there would be serious trouble if I messed with them without permission, but, they weren't some "cool" mysterious thing either as I could always handle them if I asked my father.

You're basing your opinion that tens of millions of people should not have guns based on 2 irresponsible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey