Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

The US also has one of the highest non-firearm homicide rates out of our peer countries. We got a lot of killing going on in the USA no matter what the weapon is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You have to love post like these. Of course these things are going to happen. That does not take away from the thousands and thousands of gun related deaths that occur here and dont in the countries above. Why not post overall gun deaths? Does it not fit your agenda? Go ahead and be brave. Prove me wrong.
You can compare statistics globally here if you like, it also tells where citizens may or may not own guns:

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this CDC report on deaths in 2007 (as in all deaths) it plainly states that there were 18,361 homicides in the United States. Of those, 12,632 were committed with firearms, and 5,729 committed by some other means. Clearly, at least 5,729 individuals (or more in the case of murders with at least one accomplice) found some other way to kill someone other than with a firearm. Firearms are a relatively young invention-they've only been around since the 12th Century. Was there no such thing as murder before 1100 A.D.?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
You can compare statistics globally here if you like, it also tells where citizens may or may not own guns:

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this CDC report on deaths in 2007 (as in all deaths) it plainly states that there were 18,361 homicides in the United States. Of those, 12,632 were committed with firearms, and 5,729 committed by some other means. Clearly, at least 5,729 individuals (or more in the case of murders with at least one accomplice) found some other way to kill someone other than with a firearm.

Actually it was you who compared us to those civilized countries so I figure you would enlighten us on overall gun deaths in those countries as well. Of course it does not fit your agenda so you will pussyfoot away from your position. Less guns on the most part will equal less deaths and violence. I know this is a tough concept to handle.
I would bet that the overall gun deaths in those countries combined you does not even come close to ours. That my gun advocate friend is sad.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
He had a 100 round drum clip, right? Could he have shot that many people with a handgun in that amount of time? Nope. He'd have to reload & would've been much more vulnerable to people jumping him.

Face it - gun restrictions are necessary. It's not liberal or conservative, it's common sense.
Don't need no stinkin rules,,, what if you just wanna roll down the countryside and perforated the highway signs a little? Clean ole all American wholesome (or holesome, lol) fun?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Actually it was you who compared us to those civilized countries so I figure you would enlighten us on overall gun deaths in those countries as well. Of course it does not fit your agenda so you will pussyfoot away from your position. Less guns on the most part will equal less deaths and violence. I know this is a tough concept to handle.
It just takes longer to find the numbers:

Germany total homicides for 2007: 757

Germany total firearm homicides for 2007: 186

If you use the CDC numbers for the United States, 68% of all homicides are committed with firearms. If you use the numbers I just cited for Germany, 24% of all homicides are committed by firearms. Does that prove something profound? All it proves to me is that a lot more people kill other people in the United States than pretty much any other industrialized nation. Why is that? I don't really know, nor do I care to speculate. Here's what I do know-I enjoy hunting and shooting, and I have a right (even though the state of NJ ignores it) to protect my own life and the lives of my family. Liberals (of which I am one) value the protections of the 1st (Freedom of Speech) and 4th (Search and Seizure) Amendments deeply-why not the 2nd?

Speaking of the causes that we Liberals hold dear, do you know the origins of gun control in the United States? I'll bet not-I saved you the trouble:

From Wikipedia - "Gun Control in the United States":

Before the American Civil War ended, state slave codes prohibited slaves from owning guns. After slavery in the U.S. was abolished, states persisted in prohibiting Black people from owning guns under laws renamed Black Codes. The United States Congress overrode most portions of the Black Codes by passing the Civil Rights Act of 1866. The legislative histories of both the Civil Rights Act and the Fourteenth Amendment, as well as The Special Report of the Anti-Slavery Conference of 1867, are replete with denunciations of those particular statutes that denied blacks equal access to firearms.

Yes that's right, the origins of gun control itself are that ugly.

Last edited by Badfish740; 07-23-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
Ah yes, another 2nd amendment debate. A simple right, we can own and bear arms, yet those who oppose it want to prevent our freedom of choice because they are scared of nutcases like the CO killer.

NJ is archaic when it comes to the rest of the country.

File:Rtc.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes, liberals like slamming on their right wing brothers. Meanwhile, they couldn't help themselves across the street.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Even though most of the time the Washington Times makes my skin crawl:

Gun was in right hands in previous Aurora shooting | Times 247

The commentary about Obama aside (they bemoan the fact that Obama didn't acknowledge this shooting back in April) it's pretty clear. Bad guy walks into a church intent on killing lots of people presumed to be sitting ducks, bad guy is stopped rather quickly by one law abiding and prepared citizen. Granted, that citizen was an off-duty police officer, but bravo to him for arming himself even during church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
But yes, liberals like slamming on their right wing brothers. Meanwhile, they couldn't help themselves across the street.
Speak for yourself-2A supporting Liberals like myself do just fine getting across the street

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM

And I thought I saw someone mentioned automobile registration. Well, driving is a privilege. Owning guns is a right. Two very different things. If you want to change that, you have to go through the constitutional amendment process of overturning the 2nd. Or, if you want to make driving a right, then you have to go through the process of amending that to the Constitution (the right to keep and drive cars).

Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Even though most of the time the Washington Times makes my skin crawl:

Gun was in right hands in previous Aurora shooting | Times 247

The commentary about Obama aside (they bemoan the fact that Obama didn't acknowledge this shooting back in April) it's pretty clear. Bad guy walks into a church intent on killing lots of people presumed to be sitting ducks, bad guy is stopped rather quickly by one law abiding and prepared citizen. Granted, that citizen was an off-duty police officer, but bravo to him for arming himself even during church.

Speak for yourself-2A supporting Liberals like myself do just fine getting across the street
Sorry, I forget about my blue brothers. We need more like you.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM

The interesting thing about attitudes toward firearms is that there is more of a rural/urban divide than a Democrat/Republican divide. Even though there are fewer rural Democrats than rural Republicans, rural Democrats by and large support gun rights, both nationally, and here in NJ. Assemblyman Wayne DeAngelo (D-Hamilton), Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-Gloucester), and Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May) have all expressed support for gun rights. The New England states (except for Massachusetts) all value gun rights despite being on the liberal side as far as representation. It might also surprise many folks on this very board to know that Pennsylvania has very strong right-to-carry laws. The next time you are browsing the shops at Peddler's Village, trolling around New Hope, or taking in the sights in Center City there is a good chance that there are folks around you carrying. When is the last time you saw people in PA shooting at each other willy nilly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey