Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,692,904 times

Advertisements

When I look at a state with gun laws such as NJ, I look at the crime rate in that state. After all, perhaps they are on to something. However, in 6 months Jan - Jun NJ reported to the federal government a total of 176,350 crimes. Now that is in a 6th month period. Now look at a map of the United States. See the size of NJ vs other states. True not all of these crimes are rapes, assaults and murders. So sad for the folks of NJ that they do not have the option of self defense even as the data indicated the government is doing so poorly in keeping them secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,071,330 times
The highest crime rate states...SURPRISE...are red states. Highest divorce and teen pregnancy rates as well with all of that fire & brimstone religion around. Go figure.

How many mass murders have occurred in our lifetimes in NJ? They've happened mostly in states where it's easy to get guns. There was a guy in Trenton, Unruh, who went on a killing spree in the 1940s. Not much in recent times.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,594,797 times
Quote:
When I look at a state with gun laws such as NJ, I look at the crime rate in that state. After all, perhaps they are on to something. However, in 6 months Jan - Jun NJ reported to the federal government a total of 176,350 crimes. Now that is in a 6th month period. Now look at a map of the United States. See the size of NJ vs other states. True not all of these crimes are rapes, assaults and murders. So sad for the folks of NJ that they do not have the option of self defense even as the data indicated the government is doing so poorly in keeping them secure.
If you look at the homicide rate, number of murders per 100,000 inhabitants, NJ's homicide rate is at most average. Feel free to look up my point off the FBI's UCR crime stats section. Note: homicide statistics are usually the most accurate because it is a crime that is almost always reported to the police, unlike thefts or rapes.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem with our guns laws is that the laws are not applied NATIONALLY. While some people may rightfully so be denied some firearms here in NJ, they can just go down south and ship back up numerous firearms that would otherwise be illegal in NJ. Therefore, the problem in NJ is not that we have strict gun laws, it is that other states do not have the same strictness in their laws. We need some kind of NATIONAL con-census on how firearms should be regulated. This would then prevent trunks full of guns from North Carolina being sold on the streets of Newark like they are now. Now, while I definitely feel our gun laws are way too lack in the US, I do feel it is more important that whatever gun laws we do have would be applied on a NATIONAL basis.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,653,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Except you totally miss the fact that NJ, despite its small size is one of the most populous states in the country. You need to control your numbers for population. In that case, NJ's crime index (controlled for the size of the population) is actually well below the national average.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

These figures are from 2009, which is the last year actual confirmed data is available. Currently in 2012, NJ is on pace to record a net LOWER crime rate then we did in 2009.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2012 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM

It's strange that Holmes could purchase thousands of rounds of ammo online and not set off any red flags. The companies are not required to report anything to the govt. He also got dozens of deliveries.

It's not just nutjobs we should be worried about. What about terra'rists ordering all that & more online? We have to make it harder than ordering a pair of shoes.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,028,278 times
Every so many months, in a country the size of the United States, an individual will go off the deep end and find a way to murder anywhere from 1-300 people. This is a statistical certainty. No matter what you ban or when, there will always be a way for a clever maniac to accomplish his purpose. Guns, bombs, incineration, poison, what have you.

It's just a reality. X millions of humans, x million individual situations and mental states, a random person will snap and kill a bunch of people.

There is nothing that can be done about it. There is nothing that should be done about it. Passing laws to infringe our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms will not stop this phenomena. Praying will not stop these phenomena. Making phony demagogic speeches and visits will not stop these phenomena. Marching on Washington will not stop these phenomena.

What is the solution? There is none. Prosecute and execute the offenders if and when they appear. That should be the response. The only response. I am already exhausted from fake dissembling politicians tripping over their soap boxes. Enough. Prosecute, execute, rinse, repeat. That's it.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Every so many months, in a country the size of the United States, an individual will go off the deep end and find a way to murder anywhere from 1-300 people. This is a statistical certainty. No matter what you ban or when, there will always be a way for a clever maniac to accomplish his purpose. Guns, bombs, incineration, poison, what have you.

It's just a reality. X millions of humans, x million individual situations and mental states, a random person will snap and kill a bunch of people.

There is nothing that can be done about it. There is nothing that should be done about it. Passing laws to infringe our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms will not stop this phenomena. Praying will not stop these phenomena. Making phony demagogic speeches and visits will not stop these phenomena. Marching on Washington will not stop these phenomena.

What is the solution? There is none. Prosecute and execute the offenders if and when they appear. That should be the response. The only response. I am already exhausted from fake dissembling politicians tripping over their soap boxes. Enough. Prosecute, execute, rinse, repeat. That's it.
I say that we should have such lax gun laws that a nut could drive up to a large gathering, a carnival full of families perhaps, and let rip with a military-grade machine gun mounted to the top of his uparmored monster truck. That would be awesome. Maybe an armed civilian or off-duty cop could get a shot at him before he hit the 100 killed mark.

According to you it would be inevitable anyway no matter what kind of gun control laws we pass. I hope this happens once a weekend at gatherings all over the US. After all, there's a price we all have to pay for big babies trying to overcompensate for something.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM

5,770 posts, read 16,571,627 times
The worst thing now is that Grampa Frankie Fossilberg woke up now and wants more laws. We will need the Anti-Frank bill to equalize this. weapons, loaded, to be available at every supermarket and other convenient locations in those candy dispensers where you put in a quarter and turn the knob. Banks will be required to give them away like candy to customers, especially with young kids.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,028,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I say that we should have such lax gun laws that a nut could drive up to a large gathering, a carnival full of families perhaps, and let rip with a military-grade machine gun mounted to the top of his uparmored monster truck. That would be awesome. Maybe an armed civilian or off-duty cop could get a shot at him before he hit the 100 killed mark.

According to you it would be inevitable anyway no matter what kind of gun control laws we pass. I hope this happens once a weekend at gatherings all over the US. After all, there's a price we all have to pay for big babies trying to overcompensate for something.
Every so often, a psychotic will snap and kill people. Sometimes it will be a gun. Sometimes it will be a bomb. Sometimes it will be a substance. Sometimes it will be fire. Sometimes it will be a carnival. Sometimes it will be a post office. Sometimes it will be a cruise liner. Sometimes it will be wherever a lot of people congregate.

It does not happen frequently, but it always will happen periodically. Usually every few years. That is the nature of human beings on the planet Earth.

What we should not do is engage in stupid hyperbole or consider draconian curtailment of our freedom in a reactionary and irrational attempt to stop what cannot be stopped.

And yes, allowing easy access to concealed weapons permits will increase the chance that a good citizen will be armed and ready when a psychopath strikes. One armed citizen in that theater and we would have a dead Joker instead of a dead 6 year old.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,658,418 times
Quote:
It's strange that Holmes could purchase thousands of rounds of ammo online
Why? Mail order of ammo is usually based on 500 or thousand round lots. At this time I probably have close to right thousand rounds of various calibers. I also use a thousand a month between practice and competitive events.

This idiot managed to do what he did with a hundred or so rounds. The fact that he had that amount is meaningless. A box of fifty in the hands of someone out to do some horrific act is no different than a few thousand rounds. No different than some nut case with a car determined to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey