Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,893 times

Advertisements

In 2009 my husband and I were going through a divorce, we decided to reconcile and part of that reconciliation agreement was that 2 of my adult sons could live in the house as long as I did (or until they could financial move out) worded in consent of as follows: The parties agree that the plaintiff's emancipated adult children may reside in the marital residence pending resolution of any action for divorce.
Our divorce has been on again off again several times over the past few years.........my husband has now decided it is on again and is trying to evict my son from our home. Would this consent order still be binding it is signed by my husband, myself our lawyers and the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJResident123 View Post
In 2009 my husband and I were going through a divorce, we decided to reconcile and part of that reconciliation agreement was that 2 of my adult sons could live in the house as long as I did (or until they could financial move out) worded in consent of as follows: The parties agree that the plaintiff's emancipated adult children may reside in the marital residence pending resolution of any action for divorce.
Our divorce has been on again off again several times over the past few years.........my husband has now decided it is on again and is trying to evict my son from our home. Would this consent order still be binding it is signed by my husband, myself our lawyers and the judge.

There's your answer. Pending the RESOLUTION of any action for divorce.

However, in my personal opinion, they are adults and should move out for no other reason than to make your divorce go a little more smoothly.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default What's the Real Issue?

You say your husband has decided the divorce is on again -- hence, the marriage is off again. How do YOU feel about this? The real question is whether or not YOU want to save your marriage. If yes, do you think that having your (emancipated?) son move out of your marital residence would help save your marriage?

Just how young is junior? If he was already emancipated in 2009 it's safe to assume he's at least 21 today, yes? Time to go?

Though a little late now, it's becoming increasingly common to address this in a pre-nup. Sample:
12. No Obligation to Support Other Party's Children and No Obligation Created as Result of Expenditures on Behalf of Other Party's Child: The parties acknowledge that both enter the marriage with children...
... (c) Adult children may be asked to leave the home, at either parent’s discretion, upon any of the following events:
(i) Reaching the age of 23,
(ii) Having been out of high school for five years,
(iii) Physical violence of a significant nature,
(iv) Habitual insubordination, including but not limited to refusal to contribute to the home with time, treasure and/or talent,
(v) Attainment of a Bachelor’s Degree,
(vi) Emancipation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey