U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 AM

77 posts, read 350,925 times

Advertisements

I have been trying for five days to get a plumber in my house. Four different plumbers contacted, phone messages left on their machines, no phone calls back. I have even called back and left second messages, still no phone calls back. My only conclusion is, that they do not need or want to work. Fortunately I am very handy and will do the replacement /install myself. The job is changing out my furnace not a cheap faucet repair. Despite what we read in the news our economy must really be buzzing along great. The trades people are either working, sitting home, or picking only the easy high profit jobs. Just something to think about. What does a person need to do to get a contractor to call them back and estimate a job, not everyone can do this kind of work themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM

19,619 posts, read 14,082,222 times
You are lucky no one returned your calls!

Better than having a plumber come out, look the job over and say, 'you need a handyman to caulk the plumbing fixtures". that will be 75$ please". Oh?, and do you know a handyman? "yeah, but he probably won't call you back".

might want to question charges before the guy shows up....

True story!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,516,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
I have been trying for five days to get a plumber in my house. Four different plumbers contacted, phone messages left on their machines, no phone calls back. I have even called back and left second messages, still no phone calls back. My only conclusion is, that they do not need or want to work. Fortunately I am very handy and will do the replacement /install myself. The job is changing out my furnace not a cheap faucet repair. Despite what we read in the news our economy must really be buzzing along great. The trades people are either working, sitting home, or picking only the easy high profit jobs. Just something to think about. What does a person need to do to get a contractor to call them back and estimate a job, not everyone can do this kind of work themselves.
Maybe they've gone out of business since the economy is so bad?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM

17,579 posts, read 43,338,398 times
This has been my experience for the last 7 years since moving back to NJ.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,691,436 times
As a former NJ contractor I learned a few things over the years.
1 Most good mechanics are terrible business men.
2 Most good businessmen are terrible mechanics.
3 Most good businessmen will send out a good mechanic to do the work.
4 The best businesses have somebody answering the phone

If you need service call a shop that answers the phone.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM

17,412 posts, read 21,286,910 times
I have had the exact same experience over the past 16 years or so in Central NJ, and my brother has had even worse experiences with contractors/repair people in NE PA.

Recently, a friend who has been a home owner in NJ for about 7 years told me about similar experiences with a power-washing contractor. The guy did not show up for the first appointment, and was several hours late for the second appointment. And, when he did show up, he griped non-stop about how the job of power-washing a town house wasn't really big enough for him. Needless to say, my friend will be looking elsewhere the next time that he needs power-washing.

This situation even applies to lawn care companies.
When I had to change lawn care companies about 6 years ago, due to my lawn care company going out of business, I phoned every lawn care company that I could find (8 in total), as my grass was getting longer by the day.

It actually wasn't that difficult to make a decision about which one to contract with, because only one of them phoned back within 24 hours. There were two others that returned my call about 3-4 days later, but when people's lawns are growing non-stop during the summer months, I really don't think that it is realistic to believe that a potential customer is just going to wait and wait for a return call. By the time that these two companies returned my call, I had already signed a contract with the one prompt company.

And, as you might be able to imagine, there were 5 other lawn care companies that never returned my call. Were they out of business? Nope! I see their trucks in the area all the time. They are in business, but they just don't return phone calls that could result in more business.

My explanation is simply this:
You can't expect a blue-collar person to act in a professional manner.
Some of them do act in a professional manner, and they are the ones that get our business.
The ones who act in a thoroughly non-professional manner do not get our business.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,216,212 times
Sounds like more of jersey contractor low work ethic thing than an economic thing.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM

17,412 posts, read 21,286,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Sounds like more of jersey contractor low work ethic thing than an economic thing.
To a great extent, poor work ethic=non-professional attitude, don't you think?
I think that it is all part and parcel of the same mind-set.

As my brother's (even worse) experience in PA shows, it is not limited to NJ.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM

203 posts, read 596,202 times
same here, called up more than 7 shops, got 1 response, who wants $130 just to come out and check the problem. Yea, like that is going to happen.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM

289 posts, read 159,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
Four different plumbers contacted, phone messages left on their machines, no phone calls back. I have even called back and left second messages, still no phone calls back.

You need a newer phone book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey