Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I think we should save your post and repost it every time some poor innocent comes here looking for that magical commute!
Lots of commutes to NYC in under an hour from JC and Hoboken. I actually have done my commute to 15th & 8th under an hour (barely) from West Orange. To Chase Manhattan Plaza is a bit longer, but you have a bit more flexibility because you can either take a Midtown Direct to the 2, or a Hoboken train to the PATH.

And of course there's always the close-in commutes no one mentions, but the OP did specify "safe and friendly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Lots of commutes to NYC in under an hour from JC and Hoboken. I actually have done my commute to 15th & 8th under an hour (barely) from West Orange. To Chase Manhattan Plaza is a bit longer, but you have a bit more flexibility because you can either take a Midtown Direct to the 2, or a Hoboken train to the PATH.

And of course there's always the close-in commutes no one mentions, but the OP did specify "safe and friendly".
Exactly, but that's what LynnePatrice was saying. Her commute from Jersey City is 45 minutes. The majority of commuters don't live right across the river from Manhattan. They live 20, 30, 40 miles out. Up until last year when we moved offices to JC, I'd commuted to Manhattan for three decades. Hardly anyone has a commute shorter than one hour. Most people are an hour and fifteen, twenty, I'd say.

For most of my commuting years, I traveled from Midland Park to the World Trade Center, about 30 miles. Now you could SEE the World Trade Center from the main road in the center of town. I would look at it as I made the left turn to head down to Ridgewood Train Station, knowing I wasn't going to actually be there for another hour and ten minutes.

People come onto this forum all the time looking for what can be found in the 30-mile-away towns--big yards, great schools, blah blah blah and expect that they will be able to get that AND a 45-minute commute. It is mystifying.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People come onto this forum all the time looking for what can be found in the 30-mile-away towns--big yards, great schools, blah blah blah and expect that they will be able to get that AND a 45-minute commute. It is mystifying.
Sure, but the original poster isn't looking for schools or a yard. There are some apartments within walking distance of Mountain Station which meet the requirements. Commute might be slightly more than an hour, but not that much more. Better to Lebanon than many other choices. The catch is they're in Orange.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sure, but the original poster isn't looking for schools or a yard. There are some apartments within walking distance of Mountain Station which meet the requirements. Commute might be slightly more than an hour, but not that much more. Better to Lebanon than many other choices. The catch is they're in Orange.
No, we weren't talking about the OP. It was just a general statement, OT.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 11,144 times
Thank you so much guys for all your responses....we did a little more research and found Newport to be a nice place....also google map shows that it would take approx. 53 mins via I-78 W, to reach Lebanon.....please comment on d same...thanks again

Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzy121 View Post
Thank you so much guys for all your responses....we did a little more research and found Newport to be a nice place....also google map shows that it would take approx. 53 mins via I-78 W, to reach Lebanon.....please comment on d same...thanks again
Comment on the drive, if I where going to the I-78 corridor from Newport part of Jersey City I would forgo getting on I-78 turnpike section near the tunnel and take the Skyway towards Newark Airport and hop on I-78 there. That first section on the ThornPick can get very congested and there's no way to jump off and take local roads. Also the Skyway alignment is slightly more direct, however there was some ongoing road rehab, maybe it's done by now?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzy121 View Post

As a general rule when trying to estimate the actual commute time, take whatever googlemaps or mapquest says, multiply it by 2 and add 10%. The times indicated by such websites are outright laughable and do not take into account things such as stop lights or traffic, let alone road construction. I can assure you the time it will take from Newport to Lebanon will be ~2 hours. (provided the construction delays are minimal and there is no bad weather or an accident, all of which typically occur very frequently.) I have made the morning commute from Hoboken to Whitehouse Station and it took right around 1h45min/2 hours.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM

77 posts, read 154,135 times
I think you've got to consider the difference between the NJ to NYC commute via train or bus, and the poor soul who must drive to Lebanon. On the train or bus, you can read, nap, knit, do work. I'm not trying to gild the lily, but it's not remotely the same experience as the white- knuckle drive in central NJ traffic both ways. All of the suggestions give so far are well within the typical NJ mass transit commute. It's a matter of where you feel most at home. As a renter, you can try for a year and move elsewhere if it doesn't work.

As for my bonafides on the subject, I commute, via bus, from Sea Girt to NYC ...and I'm cool with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
While commuting from JC to the Whitehouse area is going opposite most of the traffic, it is still quite a haul, especially in any kind of inclement weather. My sister lives in Clinton and once in a while, I spend the day with her. Not counting in my travel off SI, but snatching the Turnpike in JC, then staying on 78, just the highway portion takes me a good hour - and I know enough to avoid rush hour so I'm on the road no later than 6:30 AM. YUCK, I hate traffic.

BTW, for anyone who mentions the skyway, I'd rather walk and swim than take that. OMG, since I was a teen that road has the worst reputation for being horrible.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
BTW, for anyone who mentions the skyway, I'd rather walk and swim than take that. OMG, since I was a teen that road has the worst reputation for being horrible.
I take the Skyway 99.999% of the time when coming out of the city via the Holland Tunnel. The TurnPike from there is physically longer often jammed and no way off to alternate roads if your'e stuck. Besides on the Skyway you can often go a zillion miles an hour providing the traffic is light. Even if you are continuing down the Pike further South you can get on after EWR at 13A.

Also if you"re really from NJ those tolls are mostly for out of state drivers. Real NJ people pay as few tolls as possible. But tolls aside the Skyway is usually quicker and shorter unless they have a lane out for roadwork which can happen on either road. If a lane closes on the Skyway you can jump off and take Truck 1&9. If a lane closes on the YankMyCrank (TurnPike) you can't get off and are stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey