Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM

252 posts, read 607,473 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking to move out of NYC to NJ for quite some time now and cant narrow down the town/city I would like to be in.
Bergenfield is on my list but Iam hearing mixed reviews...I see a lot of houses under 300k In this town, should that be a red flag? Ive driven around and it seen pretty nice to me. I am coming from Harlem NYC, so diversity doesn't bother me. I need good schools and good commute to NYC, schools don't have to be great, but not horrible. Under 300k would be ideal for me and I can live comfortably on that. Any information on Bergenfeld would be appreciated. Dumont & New Milford are also on my list, but it looks like they might have further commute to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
how are you commuting?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:49 PM

252 posts, read 607,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
how are you commuting?

I work in Washington Heights, right next to the GWB.........so by car or bus some days if I dont want to drive into Manhattan.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Bergenfield has very high property taxes. You can get houses under 300k in other towns in bergen county with far less property taxes. Bergenfield is unappealing because of their River Edge style property taxes.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM

41 posts, read 109,584 times
Taxes are high in Bergen county no matter what. I live on the Dumont / Bergenfield border and my neighbors house in Bergenfield is 100 sq ft bigger than mine and their taxes are only $200 higher.

When I was looking for houses in Dumont we noticed those houses on the market were from retirees who haven’t kept the uptake on their house. So in theory you could buy a house under 300K but you would have to invest about 30K to conform it to your liking even more. We bought our house in the 330K range and we already have spent about 10K to comfort it our way and the house was in great shape (new roof, new windows finished basement) our cost went to a new fence, landscaping, redoing one bedroom, knocking down a wall, carpeting and painting. So just because you found a deal doesn’t mean you will not spend a dime afterwards. Just check the njmls websites and see the houses that are in the 275K-300K range I only saw one house I would consider in Dumont compared to several houses in Bergenfield that I would consider.

When we saw houses in Bergenfield they seem bigger than the ones in Dumont (unless you live on the other side of Dumont where the houses are >$400K.)

Bergenfield High school was on the cover for the most improved high school in Bergen county in 2010. Both towns are relatively safe but crime does happen. Just the other week two robberies happened in Dumont on a Saturday morning.

My commute to NYC (port authority) door to door is about 1 hour and 20 mins. If you’re going to the GWB you can take the 186 (cost about $4.24 one way cheaper if you buy a 10 day pass or monthly). It will take you about 45+mins. The 186 is on a schedule and doesn’t come around often. If you drive in bear in mind its $12 unless you car pool. I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey