Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozario View Post
so, who paid for the cost of redoing it? Did lowes step up and cover the expense?
After much discussion, they gave me $$ back and I hired a professional firm. Lost days from work, house was a mess for a couple of weeks. Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
If by chance you have access to a chop saw, it's really easy for a DIY.

It's just snap lock, tap and on to the next board.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM

42 posts, read 396,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
hopefully they'll let me do this before closing

Only a fool spends money on a home before closing. The house belongs to the seller until you close.
no of course not, i didn't mean installing it. I meant to do the measurement of rooms and get an estimate from view differnt guys. Perhaps i can order materails with an anticipated close date - i know HD will keep it for few weeks in the store, and i think you can return everything in HD (i did something like that with leftover unopened boxes of tiles).

Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM

42 posts, read 396,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
If by chance you have access to a chop saw, it's really easy for a DIY.

It's just snap lock, tap and on to the next board.
well ... that's not something i feel comfortable doing, especially with such a large area. If it was a small room, i could've just tried it myself, see how it works out.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozario View Post
All:

i'm purchasing a townhome, and want to put in new hardwood or laminate in most of the floors. Want a biiger company that hopefully can take care of things without hassel after i pick the material i want. Both HD & Loews seem to offer thier installation service. Wondering anyone has expereince ... and few questions:

1. do they send competent people? And they deliver good quality service?

2. In some cases, i'm seeing lamiated material (bruce around $4/SQFT) almost same price as good quality bruce hard wood at $4/SQFT. Is there any big downside with lamiated flooring? The deal with laimate is it is a flat $500 labor charge they're advertising (as opposed to normal $2/SQFT - so if you do say 1,000 or 1,500 sqft - you're saving quiet bit on labor.

3. the guy at HD told me they pretty much do everthing - including painting. Should i trust them with painting more or less whole home?

4. There is one floor that has existing hardwood - but in some small area has lost its finishing/color slightly. I've hard sanding & restaining would cost me almost similar to new install with new materials. Wanted to get an idea, is there any cheaper option - just want some polishing so it brings back some of its luster vs old/tired look without spending a fortune.
Coupla things:

1. I've had both laminate and hardwood installed. I will never - NEVER - have a laminate floor again. In my opinion, hardwood is the better choice. If laminate flooring gets wet, it buckles. Also it just tends to not lay as flat on the floor (and I've had mid range and high end laminate - they both did the same thing).

Hardwood looks and feels better to me. And it definitely wears better.

2. I will never use Lowes or HD to do any major work in my house. After a huge flooring fiasco (that I won't even bore you with) and a month of frustration, I finally called Lowes and told them to come get their (expletive) out of my house and refund my money, or not only would there be a BBB complaint, they would be on the evening news (we have a local news program that has a weekly consumer horror story segment). Then I went to a smaller, locally owned flooring store and picked out exactly what I wanted (which was actually a better quality than what I had picked out at Lowes) and it was installed in two days and cost me $1000 LESS.

3. Around here (Texas) the store requires payment in full - materials, labor, service, delivery, etc - before they even book the date. I don't like paying for service before I've received the service.

I will never, never, never use one of the big box stores for a major job again.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellwood View Post
after much discussion, they gave me $$ back and i hired a professional firm. Lost days from work, house was a mess for a couple of weeks. Never again.
same experience here.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Coupla things:

1. I've had both laminate and hardwood installed. I will never - NEVER - have a laminate floor again. In my opinion, hardwood is the better choice. If laminate flooring gets wet, it buckles. Also it just tends to not lay as flat on the floor (and I've had mid range and high end laminate - they both did the same thing).
Hardwood looks and feels better to me. And it definitely wears better.

2. I will never use Lowes or HD to do any major work in my house. After a huge flooring fiasco (that I won't even bore you with) and a month of frustration, I finally called Lowes and told them to come get their (expletive) out of my house and refund my money, or not only would there be a BBB complaint, they would be on the evening news (we have a local news program that has a weekly consumer horror story segment). Then I went to a smaller, locally owned flooring store and picked out exactly what I wanted (which was actually a better quality than what I had picked out at Lowes) and it was installed in two days and cost me $1000 LESS.

3. Around here (Texas) the store requires payment in full - materials, labor, service, delivery, etc - before they even book the date. I don't like paying for service before I've received the service.

I will never, never, never use one of the big box stores for a major job again.
Hey, I'm confused.

Did you install your laminate floor next to the pool? Why would it get wet. As far as buckling, the floor wasn't laid property. You need to maintain a 1/4 inch space on the edge for the floor to expand due to weather.

But like I said, my Pergo floor looks pretty much the same as it was put down years ago.

Unfort, people have drunken the HGTV kool-aid and it's hardware floors or nothing.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
what does basic installation of a laminate floor from lowes include? I was told it is extra to move the stove, extra to move the refrigerator, and $50 to move furniture out of the kitchen. Am I being told correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: