Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Thanks to the mayor of your town the moneys you're are paying is going to teach illegals kids English. I got a guy on mine crew he is a legal Mexican who was born here in US he's tolled me what the situation is with schools. I got no problem with teaching the little ones English but if theres too many in one area it can cause strife.
Coal? Diamonds? Gold? Didn't know there was a lot of that in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM

300 posts, read 913,717 times
Quote:
Thanks to the mayor of your town the moneys you're are paying is going to teach illegals kids English. I got a guy on mine crew he is a legal Mexican who was born here in US he's tolled me what the situation is with schools. I got no problem with teaching the little ones English but if theres too many in one area it can cause strife.
My dear friend, if he is legal mexican by being born here, what makes you legal german or austrian ? His origin may be Mexican but he is American.

As far as east windsor goes, the taxes are high because assessment is dis-proportioned. Some of the old houses assessed far lower than newer houses. I thought they were going to reassess whole town to make it fairer but apparently it has not happened (someone local can chime in)

Bit as some one mentioned, taxes for house in 200-300k range will not be too high when you compare that with w Windsor, S Brunswick etc.

And with tpk extension, I am sure E Windsor is going to do fine in terms of attracting value oriented buyers.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM

289 posts, read 608,172 times
Being a East Windsor resident for the last 9 years and having sent my child to East Windsor Schools, I can tell you that East Windsor schools are just fine. Folks just look at a score at Great Schools or NJ Monthly website and accept that one school district is better than another. These companies (Great Schools, NJ Monthly) are in the business of school rankings, their job is to assign ranking to schools. They do not reveal their exact formula or the raw data they use, they claim it is a trade secret. Well, if you spend a few minutes and go to NJ dept of education website and look at the NJ School report card, you can see that East Windsor is very close to Monroe, Robbinsville. e.g. East Windsor, avg SAT score is 1531 (combined, out of 2400), Monroe is 1540 and Robbinsville is 1555. Yet, East Windsor is rated as 4 in greatschools.org, Robbinsville is 9, Monroe is 6. Go figure!
One reason East Windsor taxes are high (and schools score a bit lower) is that there is a significant immigrant community in certain part of East Windsor/ Hightstown. English is a second language for a lot of these kids and they seem to struggle with English language tests in lower grades. But that is natural, after all these kids do not speak English at home and eventually catch up by middle school. Overall, East Windsor is a great town for commute, shopping and offers great value in housing.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 AM

20 posts, read 39,481 times
Quote:
I hope you're not the one doing the teaching.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM

303 posts, read 919,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
Being a East Windsor resident for the last 9 years and having sent my child to East Windsor Schools, I can tell you that East Windsor schools are just fine. Folks just look at a score at Great Schools or NJ Monthly website and accept that one school district is better than another. These companies (Great Schools, NJ Monthly) are in the business of school rankings, their job is to assign ranking to schools. They do not reveal their exact formula or the raw data they use, they claim it is a trade secret. Well, if you spend a few minutes and go to NJ dept of education website and look at the NJ School report card, you can see that East Windsor is very close to Monroe, Robbinsville. e.g. East Windsor, avg SAT score is 1531 (combined, out of 2400), Monroe is 1540 and Robbinsville is 1555. Yet, East Windsor is rated as 4 in greatschools.org, Robbinsville is 9, Monroe is 6. Go figure!
One reason East Windsor taxes are high (and schools score a bit lower) is that there is a significant immigrant community in certain part of East Windsor/ Hightstown. English is a second language for a lot of these kids and they seem to struggle with English language tests in lower grades. But that is natural, after all these kids do not speak English at home and eventually catch up by middle school. Overall, East Windsor is a great town for commute, shopping and offers great value in housing.
Either they'll will catch up in English by Middle or Middle will drop to there level. Who knows for sure. One thing Monroe Robbinsville etc makes them different is that they arnt Sactury Citys. Thats the problem that no one wants to mention but everyone does.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The entire state had problems with hurricane Irene. This kind of flooding happens once in a lifetime...I hope.
Hurricane Irene's wrath sends N.J. utilities scrambling, 660,000 still in dark | NJ.com
Hightstown Flooding Causes Widespread Damage - East Windsor, NJ Patch

The dam broke in Hightstown and is being repaired as I type.
Not once in a lifetime. The same flooding happened in 1999 with Hurricane Floyd. It happens every decade or two. Anyway, Mercer and Middlesex Counties are relatively cheap because they're a long commute from NYC and also not easily commutable to Philadelphia.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Not once in a lifetime. The same flooding happened in 1999 with Hurricane Floyd. It happens every decade or two. Anyway, Mercer and Middlesex Counties are relatively cheap because they're a long commute from NYC and also not easily commutable to Philadelphia.
Hightstown/East Windsor is about the same commute to NYC and Philly...~1 hr. 15 min. +/- depending on traffic. I knew a Hightstown resident that walked 1/2 a block to pick up the bus to NYC every day and never had a problem with it.

The housing isn't cheaper in Mercer or Middlesex because the commute is difficult for some people to navigate to NYC or Philly.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Hightstown/East Windsor is about the same commute to NYC and Philly...~1 hr. 15 min. +/- depending on traffic. I knew a Hightstown resident that walked 1/2 a block to pick up the bus to NYC every day and never had a problem with it.

The housing isn't cheaper in Mercer or Middlesex because the commute is difficult for some people to navigate to NYC or Philly.
Most of our neighbours in Mercer Co. commute to NYC.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM

208 posts, read 545,098 times
Quote:
Either they'll will catch up in English by Middle or Middle will drop to there level. Who knows for sure. One thing Monroe Robbinsville etc makes them different is that they arnt Sactury Citys. Thats the problem that no one wants to mention but everyone does.
The irony of this post is too much for me...

Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
A large chunk of West Windsor and Plainsboro residents work on Wallstreet and other areas of Manhattan. Plenty also work in in the Philadelphia area. Living near the NEC makes it a fairly convenient commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey