Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtime View Post
Thanks for the question about type of school. We only want a non-religious school (non-sectarian). Good reputation for academics is the primary criteria. Thanks also for pointing out the difference between east rutherford and rutherford. I can't seem to find any apartment complexes in rutherford.
There is one that is relatively new right next to the train station. I used to commute on that line, and I watched them construct it. Unless that's East Rutherford. Let me see if I can find it.

I think it might be one of those listed on here--I've moved to Central Jersey, so it's been a while (as an aside, I have a 90-minute commute myself, but the tradeoff for me is living closer to the ocean.)

Also note that for your price range, you could rent an entire house.

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/...eds-2/baths-1h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
This sounds like the type of situation (time crunch, coming from out of area, some critical needs) that would justify using a realtor to find the right rental property.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
This sounds like the type of situation (time crunch, coming from out of area, some critical needs) that would justify using a realtor to find the right rental property.
BINGO!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 46,991 times
Default thanks

Thanks everyone who responded. Husband is on the ground there as we speak. He checked out Liberty Terrace and Avalon Rutherford after suggestions from this thread. I called the office and the school would be Mckenzie Elementary School. Thoughts? Yes, no. I wish we had more lead time but we don't. We cannot pass up on the job either. Our second child, 3 year old, is a special needs child who has benefited greatly from therapy that is availabe in the NY/NJ area but not available in Iowa. I have been traveling with him once a month for a year now. Just wish I could do better for the older one, my 6 year old daughter, as well but perhaps we do this for a year and find an ideal fit her soon.

Thoughts on Mckenzie Elementary School? What else should I look into? I'll call a realator right after work today. My husband in NJ until tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

357 posts, read 1,026,653 times
Mightyqueen is probably referring to:

17 Meadow Road
Rutherford, NJ 07070

17 Meadow, Rutherford NJ

There are also many houses in Rutherford for rent. You should contact a realtor in the town. Public schools there are pretty good and they have a good special needs program. I should know, my wife is a teacher in the district.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
If you want Rutherford schools you can cross off Avalon and Liberty Terrace as they are in East Rutherford, which is a separate municipality. Avalon is a nice development, I've got friends who live there. Liberty Terrace apparently has it's shre of issues though. We don't have kids so I can't comment on the schools in ER, but I have heard they're pretty decent. There are plenty of rentals in Rutherford though and you really cannot beat the commute into the city from this area. My girlfriend's bus takes 20 minutes into Port Authority in Midtown.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone who responded. Husband is on the ground there as we speak. He checked out Liberty Terrace and Avalon Rutherford after suggestions from this thread. I called the office and the school would be Mckenzie Elementary School. Thoughts? Yes, no. I wish we had more lead time but we don't. We cannot pass up on the job either. Our second child, 3 year old, is a special needs child who has benefited greatly from therapy that is availabe in the NY/NJ area but not available in Iowa. I have been traveling with him once a month for a year now. Just wish I could do better for the older one, my 6 year old daughter, as well but perhaps we do this for a year and find an ideal fit her soon.

Thoughts on Mckenzie Elementary School? What else should I look into? I'll call a realator right after work today. My husband in NJ until tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again!!
Here is info from the Great Schools site. McKenzie School - East Rutherford, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

Just a thought--this is FIRST GRADE your daughter is going into. NJ schools are, in general, pretty good, especially in an affluent area such as Bergen County. I highly doubt that you are going to land in a district where the schools are so bad that a first-grader would suffer permanent academic damage. You may not even be living in the same place after a year, and once you get to know the Bergen/North Jersey area, you will have ample time to do research for a more permanent place to live, including looking at school systems.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM

291 posts, read 977,096 times
Quote:
Thanks for the question about type of school. We only want a non-religious school (non-sectarian). Good reputation for academics is the primary criteria. Thanks also for pointing out the difference between east rutherford and rutherford. I can't seem to find any apartment complexes in rutherford.
I think Rutherford is a good starting point, at least. I emailed a friend who grew up in Rutherford and now lives a couple of towns away. I will let you know what he says, he's pretty knowledgeable about the area.

Quote:

Thanks again!!
McKenzie is in East Rutherford, I believe. Rutherford proper generally has a better reputation as far as schools. Would you consider either a single family house or something like half of a 2-family? Most will likely be older and small-ish, but have a yard, which might be nice with kids. In a town like Rutherford, that will probably give you a lot more options. Just to give you an idea (and I agree that calling a realtor is probably not a bad idea):

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=19
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=20
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=14

You mentioned that you have a SN 3 year old--are you intending to have him/her attend public school as well? (In NJ, there is free public preschool available to children who meet certain thresholds of developmental delays, and/or who have certain special needs.) If so, that complicates things slightly, as well. Many towns in Northern NJ have excellent services for regular ed as well as special ed, but again, the commuting factor could be a challenge.

Quote:
How about a 60 minute commute? I appreciate you all telling me how things fall. The plan is to get into a manageable commute apartment now (say 60 minutes), a good school even if not the ideal school which we can get into by next year hopefully, and go with that. With that, it seems like Secaucus is out of question based on what I hear from you all. Are there towns in north or central jersey that fit the bill? I have some idea of commute but have to admit that with this job working out lightening fast, I have zero information about schools. Right now, we will sign a 12 month lease. So something that is an acceptable commute and good school district. Not worried about buying a home right now.

I'll search again in the forums. Several of you mentioned bergen county school district is good (based on searches). I'll keep searching and keep responding to any of you that have graciously posted to help out.

Thanks again.
Bergen County has many top-rated school districts. The issue is that most of the ones with the best reputations, are located in the northern part of the county, so further away from the city. As MQ said, though, if you are planning to move in a year anyway, as long as you have an OK district for 1st grade, you should be fine.

And just to clarify (sorry to keep giving you more info, but it may make a difference!), the schools in NJ are also different in that they are arranged by town, not county. There are a few regional school districts, but by and large, each town is responsible for their own schools, and within a town, each area is assigned certain schools.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Why would someone (apparently intelligent) that values their child's education so highly wait until three weeks before moving to start researching schools? If it was that important, I would think it would be at the top of your list.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 PM

15 posts, read 46,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Why would someone (apparently intelligent) that values their child's education so highly wait until three weeks before moving to start researching schools? If it was that important, I would think it would be at the top of your list.
Thanks so much for your help and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey