Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM

20 posts, read 39,483 times

Advertisements

Husband's looking for work in NYC and I work in Newark. We each have cars right now that we're leasing so I'm not sure getting rid of one or both is possible. And paying for them just to have them sit at home during the week is not happening. My job requires me to live in the state of NJ - are there any cities that could work for both of us? Obviously mass transit is ideal for both cities, especially NYC, but suggestions for "drive-able" (note the quotes) commutes are appreciated. We're looking for a place that's safe, no concern for schools, willing to spend up to $2,000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM

28 posts, read 64,428 times
Default Hackensack

Short on time but will just say check out the apartment building around the Hackensack hospital. Secured, has gym & sometimes a pool. Great commute by car / NJ Tran. Can get a nice apt. for your budget.
Or also consider-
Fair Lawn
New Milford

Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Easiest thing would be to ditch at least one of the cars and live in Jersey City. 15 minutes to Newark by PATH train, 10 minutes to WTC or 15 minutes to Midtown by PATH train. You can keep the car(s) for errands/weekend escapes. I know a couple who just moved into a nice apartment near Exchange Place. IIRC they're paying $2100 for a modern 1-bedroom with 2 parking spaces.

Alternatively you could move to South Orange or Montclair (nice suburbs west of Newark) and have one partner drive to Newark and the other use transit to NYC. I couldn't in good conscience recommend that anyone drive to a job in Manhattan on a daily basis unless they work off-hours.

Another idea is Weehawken. Nice town on the Palisade overlooking the Hudson. Driving to Newark from there is a little congested but manageable (a friend of mine does it). And again, buses and ferries to NYC are better than driving.

^ The thing about all of the suggestions above is you can drive to Newark but there are also transit options to Newark in case you (A) get out of your vehicle lease, (B) just can't deal with traffic anymore, or (C) have one of those snowy or ridiculous traffic days and just want to take transit instead once in awhile.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 39,483 times
If he ends up working in the city I think we'll definitely have to figure a way out of one of the leases. DH can barely stand "regular" Jersey traffic, he'd be heading for an early grave driving into NYC! Hoping he gets a job in NJ at this point but there's so much more available in the city =\

Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
If no concern of school, go for Jersey City. It's easy to take transportation to both Newark and NYC. It's also easy to drive to Newark. Not suggesting drive in city due to parking.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
I guess you are lucky enough to have a job, once again I am on the unemployed list without unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey